YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here got experience of doing a camping & diving trip,

as in moving to different sites each day or every couple of days say for a week. I'm thinking about doing one in the South-West this summer and planning to do mainly shore dives to keep the cost down. Anyone got any ideas or hints?

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I always camp...........from Scapa to Cornwall.......New Zealand (2months), Australia (6months) ..you just have to be a bit more organised for the longer trips :)

On a more practical level I've got a page in my blog which is a list of places I've camped that have been convenient for dive sites. This site UKCampsite.co.uk - Caravan Parks and Camping Sites Index is also an excellent place to start when you are looking for somewhere to camp.

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
yep - two week road trip round the UK, it was ace :D

·
More yokel than local moi luvver
1,280 Posts
Swanage, plenty of camp sites and the pier to dive.

Dave

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Camping? Any hint or tips? Would you do it again? What would you do different?

Cheers,

Dan
Paul and I did this for a week the year before last, and we had a great time. We stayed for 3 nights at Porthkerris and dived Drawna Rock, plus went out on the rib a few times, then moved down to a lovely campsite near Lamorna Cove. We didn't know any dive sites down that way, so we drove around to suss out likely spots and found some great places to dive. If you want any info, let me know.

Top tip would be take a decent sized tent. We did it in a dome tent and, after a week, we hated the bloody thing!

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
We used to do weekends as part of Henley subaqua club.

Great fun it was too, really good club bonding experience. I'd highly recommend it.

We used to drive down from Oxfordshire to Plymouth, Swanage, etc and camp in one of the local campsites, along with whoever was towing the RHIB.

Dinner in a nice local pub, a few beers, nice sunny weather (usually). Couldn't be beaten!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
get yourself a copy of the latest Cades camping and caravanning site guide, then make me an offer on my cabanon 6 berth frame tent, loadsa room for all your gear:teeth:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Grief yes.
You can't make me do it again.
Can't!
Ever!
Whole heartedly agree, I will put up with the various "joys" of diving during the day. Weeing behind a rock, stripping off in freezing car parks and bouncing around on a rib until my bum is black and blue but at night I need a proper bed and an en-suite bathroom!:girl:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
oh yeh

tis the only way to do it get yerself a decent sized tent and go for it thats how i do it bril Anglesey is great for that kind of hollyday pembrokeshire is good too as is dorset or even the east coast try Norfolk exelant wreck diving here and plenty of camping and other things to do as well.

Lou.:teeth:

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I've done a lot of camping/diving trips in France. Admittedly we were taking a lot of dive and caving kit but one thing I'd say is get a cheap tent for storing kit in, preferably one where you can just pitch the outer. At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, if you aren't shagging the other person you are camping with then have separate tents. At the end of a diving day I like having my own space.

Also, camping and diving for more than a few days can be tiring. I might be getting soft but it's nice to have a cottage or hotel bar to slob in post dive. Moving camp can be really tiring, I spent three weeks moving around the cave diving areas of France a couple of years ago and I was absolutely wasted at the end of it.

Still, nothing beats being camped by a cave entrance in the Ardeche with a roaring fire, a lump of lamb from the local farmer and a couple of bottles of wine.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
Camping?

Yes I have done it.

Tips...
wet boot - get a plastic sheet and an old blanket (or similar) to mop up water - as you will stuff all your wet gear in here, only washing it out at the end of the trip.

Dry backseat - use this area for DRY clothes and tentage etc. It is very important to separate your wets from your drys.

Midge Season - AVOID!!!!

Inflatable matteress - get one, along with a good sleeping bag and pillow.

Bucket - use it to rinse your camera / other.

Eat out - don't be a hero, you're diving, not competeing on Ready Steady Cook! Hot food, warm restuarant / diner - cannot be beaten.

Shower - if campsite hasn't got one, don't even consider it.

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'm all over it like a rash, which is probably what we'll have by the end of the trip !

think i'll f**k the tent off and borrow my old mans campervan !! how about that for an idea ?

when you thinking of doing this trip?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'm all over it like a rash, which is probably what we'll have by the end of the trip !

think i'll f**k the tent off and borrow my old mans campervan !! how about that for an idea ?

when you thinking of doing this trip?
Yep thats an idea mate, and a good one. How many is the campervan for?
Would add a bit of luxury to an otherwise slumming trip.
I dunno maybe thinking towards end of May, after exams? but open to offers. Obviosuly nothing is set in stone.

Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep thats an idea mate, and a good one. How many is the campervan for?
Would add a bit of luxury to an otherwise slumming trip.
I dunno maybe thinking towards end of May, after exams? but open to offers. Obviosuly nothing is set in stone.

Dan
i'm not sure how many can get in the wagon. i'll check it out later.

as for timing; i'm off to gozo for a week in may from the 17th to 24th. so i reckon i would be looking to go in the early part of june. how does that sound for you?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm not sure how many can get in the wagon. i'll check it out later.

as for timing; i'm off to gozo for a week in may from the 17th to 24th. so i reckon i would be looking to go in the early part of june. how does that sound for you?
mmm June is no good for me as im woking all the time, but could possible do early July??? All depending on how my job interview went and when they want me to start,

Dan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts