YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>.....I've heard that there is somewhere to Dive around the Gatwick area, I might be wrong, but would be REALLY handy if there is!!!!

Thanks!!

x x x

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kate - 'nother Gatwick local here, and the nearest dive site I'm aware of is Wraysbury.

I daresay you could find some muddy puddles to splash around in - our club hut is right by Tilgate lake, for instance. Fine if you want to get "Zero vis dive" signed off as an experience dive, but pants for anything else

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Nice one...thanks anyway guys!!!

x x x

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Kate,

Another alternative is Leybourne in Kent, quite close to J4 off the M20. It is very similar to Wraysbury so viz can be a bit iffy, there are a few platforms for training purposes and some underwater features, cars, boat etc. We did a lot of open water training there about 18 months ago and had a few people coming over from Crawley who didn't find it too bad a journey.  You can normally park almost at the waters edge and it doesn't usually get too busy.

There is a dive centre on site that I think you have to book in with now but I'm not sure of the name.  For more information you could try contacting Dive Machine in Tonbridge who I know use it regularly, and they're usually very helpful.

http://www.divemachine.com/

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Kate,

Further to the Kim's posting regarding Leybourne, I was there yesterday evening, they are a very friendly group there. You don't have to book to dive, just turn up with your certification card and your £4.50, and on Wednesdays they cater for late/night dives too. Worth calling Pete beforehand if you want to do a night dive. There number is 01634 246006. BTW, viz was about 4-5m yesterday, pike, carp and perch in there.
Hope that is of use to you.

Ian

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Kate

Leybourne / Larkfield will only be about 30 min from you. We use it for training all the time, platforms at 4m and 6m, plus cars, boats etc at 9m. Deeper if you take a shovel.

Mid week vis is usually good, weekend depends on how many schools turn up. It opens at 10 and gets busy fast.

You can dive near the entrance - more fish, or in the diving area at the other end - more objects.

Regards

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Dover is better,,,,,, and what a big lake it is ,, it has ships on top and underwater:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Sep. 18 2003,23:39)]Dover is better,,,,,, and what a big lake it is ,, it has ships on top and underwater:D
lol I think every one knows where dover is  

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Sep. 18 2003,23:39)]Dover is better,,,,,, and what a big lake it is ,, it has ships on top and underwater:D
But with all those huge ripping currents, and huge surface chop that make it impossible to hold a 6m stop, and the boats that make it impossible to use a DSMB, surely that makes it unsuitable for training!?  

Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

Hmm I thought the whole Idea of an smb is that boats can avoid you while your on your stop/surfacing!
It would be unsuitable for a dry suit coarse though I guess.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tibbs @ Sep. 20 2003,23:00)]
[b said:
But with all those huge ripping currents, and huge surface chop that make it impossible to hold a 6m stop, and the boats that make it impossible to use a DSMB, surely that makes it unsuitable for training!?  

Chris
Not much training goes on in the shipping lanes M8

There are a few shore dives around dover and some are OK. Selsea Pier is another OK bimble and the Vis can be quite good. Also look at Dive Eclips web site for trips to the far Mulbury at 10m deep max it is a lovley easy dive which I still enjoy.

Mixon hole is a great fun drift dive with loads of lobsters but you must be comfortable with a fast-ish drift.

Dive-eclips

http://www.dive-eclipse.co.uk/

Hope this helps

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Gatwick! Yes I know of a dive site you can get to from Gatwick.

It's called Bermuda. Only 6 hours from Gatwick, and on the way you can eat 3 times and watch 2 movies

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Tenerife .....and you only get one meal on the 4 hour flight and as airline food goes, that is the healthy option.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Scuba1 @ Sep. 23 2003,23:52)]Tenerife .....and you only get one meal on the 4 hour flight and as airline food goes, that is the healthy option.
That was a subtle bit of spam if I've ever seen it. You'll be recommending a good Tenerife dive shop next.

Peter

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Oh no  because I want a day off some time as well.....have not been fishing in weeks.
But you can sugest somthing closer for her being from that end of of the UK.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I've heard the Sound of Mull's quite nice at this time of year.

Peter

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well Peter to be honest I do miss the wrecks and lobsters a bit sometimes.

Regards
Mmichael

1 - 20 of 20 Posts