YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Is there any reason why a 3 litre steel pony cannot be used for a Argon suit inflation system? Are there any specific preparation or markings needed? Cylinder is O2 clean at the moment.

Just a thought...........

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

I have seen cylinders converted as such before but don't know how legitimate it is - you should get a big ARGON sticker to put on it though

Possibly need to change the paint markings if it has those b&w stripes at the top.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You don't actually NEED to put anything on it - but it's considered a good idea. A kid died in America (IIRC) a year or two ago when he borrowed dad's scuba gear and jumped in the pool, whereupon he passed out and died as he'd been breathing argon the whole time..

Go ask your local argon supplier what they want to see in an argon cylinder when you bring it to fill - that'll get you the best answer.

There's no reason why not to use a 3l pony for it, other than that it's a tad large, and that people will assume it's a pony filled with breathing air...

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

The argon suit inflation bottles I have seen are all coloured green. Is that a requirement or just that all bottles I have seen are from the same supplier?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The argon suit inflation bottles I have seen are all coloured green
Apart from mine.  Which is blue. And Lee's.  Which is black. But they do have a dirty great ARGON. NOT FOR BREATHING sticker on them.  Perhaps that's all that's required?

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Sep. 24 2003,11:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The argon suit inflation bottles I have seen are all coloured green
Apart from mine.  Which is blue. And Lee's.  Which is black. But they do have a dirty great ARGON. NOT FOR BREATHING sticker on them.  Perhaps that's all that's required?
Blue !!! Are you colour blind man! What do you mean I am!

I guess that explains why the sea has looked yellow this season.

I will rephrase my previous statement - all argon cylinders that I am aware of are blue, black and maybe green.

Robin - let me know exactly where you are going diving in Florida again (don't tell me - it's in Canada!) - I will try and get to the exact spot and have a pee in the sea. Bloody Smart Alec

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Boca Raton, where the water is 80F at depth and lovely and clear.  Already got a bunch of gas dives booked!  Apparently I'm going over there to work.  We'll see about that  

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Sep. 24 2003,12:20)]Boca Raton, where the water is 80F at depth and lovely and clear.  Already got a bunch of gas dives booked!  Apparently I'm going over there to work.  We'll see about that  
I'll do my best to raise the temperature a bit for you.

Have a good time and don't forget I want to see the video + a detailed dive report on YD.

Aren't you supposed to be studying/reviewing in the evenings and weekends.    

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Sep. 24 2003,11:46)]
I will rephrase my previous statement - all argon cylinders that I am aware of are blue, black and maybe green.
Mines Yellow and much nicer than those huge things you've seen. I've got a 1.5 litre blue one as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts