YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thinking of going down the GUE route but after reading certain articles it seems that you favour certain kit over others. I have 3 sets of Aqua Lung Regs and an IST Wing, TUSA tri ex Fins and a BEAR Mask and I also currently use a typhoon dry suit.

Will this be fine?

Cheers
Jonsey

·
Registered
878 Posts
Don't believe everything you read on the internet regarding GUE courses ;) Speak to one of the GUE instructors and they will tell you if your kit is OK or not.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Hi,

Thinking of going down the GUE route but after reading certain articles it seems that you favour certain kit over others. I have 3 sets of Aqua Lung Regs and an IST Wing, TUSA tri ex Fins and a BEAR Mask and I also currently use a typhoon dry suit.

Will this be fine?

Cheers
Jonsey
My interpretation is that GUE prefer the *function* of some kit to others. If there's any doubt whether your kit performs the correct function then check with the GUE Instructor you intend to do the course with. They will give you the best advice and if anything you have does not function the right way for the course, most of them can lend you the relevant piece(s).

HTH
Mal

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Hi,

Will this be fine?

Cheers
Jonsey
I, and indeed GUE, don't give a monkeys about brand, whatever you read on the internet. I care about two things. Firstly, does the equipment meet the standards of the course. Secondly, is the equipment robust and of appropriate quality to prevent hindering you on the course.

So here are the standards, which cover the first point....GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers

and here's a guide which covers the second...Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

Of your equipment you mention my biggest concern would be the fins, as I have not seen them in the water. but then I'd suggest you take them off and I'd give you something different to use if I thought they were holding you back. anything you are particularly worried about, just give me a call on 07876 147019.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one thanks, it does prove the internet can be misleading as i was under the assumption that it all had to be high end halcyon type kit ONLY.

Just so i know does anyone know the costs involved in these courses?

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Nice one thanks, it does prove the internet can be misleading as i was under the assumption that it all had to be high end halcyon type kit ONLY.
Far from it. Halcyon gear is only mandatory if you want to be rule 6 compliant ;) No other brand will come close in that respect! :D :D

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
Halcyon is for geeks. All the cool kids wear Frog. :D
Only the Frogs look "Cool" (well, scantily clad Parisian ladies or those frequenting the Cote d' Azur...... ;)

·
Thread killer
299 Posts
Intrestingly enough, Halcyon version of the Mk25 and GV250 are cheaper than the Scubapro ones. Go figure.
Scuba Store are doing awesome deals on SP regs, that's where i got mine. £333.50 for MK25 + G250v. I'd be surprised to see the H ones cheaper than that. I got my MK17/G250v from them for £280 or something. I would certainly double check before buying at any rate.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
There are some great deals to be had. I actually bought 2 Mk25's and an R395 for £350 through Ebay with a full warrenty from Italy. I had to pay more for my primary as not many people are doing deals on the A700 but I had to have that one as it's sooooooo shiney.
One site (I am trying to find it)offered Halcyon and Scubapro regs and the Halcyon was cheaper by around £50 for each individual reg.

·
Thread killer
299 Posts
I've seen those Italy deals - are they for real? I need an MK17 and saw the ebay ones, but they looked too good to be true! So all's ok with them? I don't know exactly what i thought would be wrong with them but....

Maybe they're cheaper to buy H's individually. See if you can find it, like i said i need a MK17, or equivalent H version.

Get searching, or maybe i'll just buy the Italian one actually.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Just found the site. It's Dir Direct. Halcyon H-50D First Stage Regulator £169, Scubapro Mk17 £165. Halcyon H-75P First Stage Regulator £199 but the Scubapro MK25 First Stage Regulator £235.
Not the difference I remembered but still a difference
The ones from Italy have been good so-far and delivered free within 4 days.

One Mk17 is £115 but 2x Mk17's are just £192, I belive making them as cheap or cheaper than Apek's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts