YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

If any of you are planning a trp to the Caaries and need information like Tel Numbers E-mail Adresses Conditions ....well that sort of thing about the Canary islands. Drop me a line or ask here.

Michael

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

We are working on it I´ll let you know ar soon as it is set up.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Tried last weekend and this weekend to book a trip to Tenerife - no flights to be had for the dates I have available! Looks like I won't be the first YD-er to visit you guys after all.
Steve

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Sorry to hear that Steve
So I have to feed the rays all by my self this Xmas. Why am I allways left with all the work?

Dive safe
Michael

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

My Wife suddenly mentioned today that she got some brochures for Tenerife today.  Coooll.

Michael, where would be the best place local to you?  I can then steer the choice of holiday to that area.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Hi Timing
Anywhere in the south will do. But if you want to be right on the spot, it is the Orlando Hotel in Torviscas Playa. But I can pick you up from any place from Golf del sur down to Playa Paraiso. And when you know exactly whhen you are comung give me the flight number an I`ll pick you up from the Airport and take you to your Hotel.

Steve what is an Easter break
;-)

Regards
Michael

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

El Hierro or Lanzarote? I'm trying to decide between the two or any other island for that matter! Want to avoid big crowds, but then it is the underwater life that will make me decide. One problem I find with El Hierro is the cost in getting there.
Also my wife wants to take her rescue course so will be looking for a reccomended dive school.
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Chris

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Chris I went to Lanzarote and tied up with Calipso in Costa Teguise, loved it and them. More I hear about diving more I realise they were good guys. Do Mala north of the Island a good drop off about 30 odd mtrs - super fun. Watchg out for the old naturalists though - Arghh! When are you going, by crowds do you maen in the water or topsides. Dont go in the Sumer hols  - too many Brits.
HTH
Matt

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

It depends on the time of the year but you will finde Lanzarote in sprin is a bit windy and you will get some days when you are blown out and no site goes. El Hierro is on average about 5C warmer than Lanzarote and Fuerte Ventura. The biggest diversaty in marine life you will find pn the western Islands like La Gomera La Palma El hierro and Tenerife. When you dicide where to go let ma know and I`ll give you some Tel: Numbers of divecenters of the Island where you want to go.If I can help just drop me a line
Regards
Michael

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

As arule I prefer to avoid places of mass tourism, I can tolerate off season if the diving is good.  I see the damage in Algarve and it's not pretty.  It tends to affect the diving as well, for example clubs in these areas tend to have many poorly experienced divers, i.e holidaymakers who dive rather than someone going for a diving holiday. That is why I want to make sure I choose the right dive club.
Now the most annoying piece of news for me is that it is cheaper to get a cheap flight from England than getting one from Spain or Portugal! The diving infrastructure in UK is so much stronger that often it is cheaper to go to UK than arranging anything directly from here. It's a mad mad world...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

Well if you want to stay away from tourists as far as posible on the canarys, may I sugest that you get a ferry from cadiz to Tenerife I can sort you out with an Apartment away from the rustle and bustle in the village where I live. Or take the ferry from here to La Gomera and spend some time there. But it is not something that would be a thing to do for just a week.

Michael

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Just met a couple who said the diving was better on Fuerteventura or Lanzarote than Tenerife.  Are they right?  Quite fancied Tenerife myself.  Also, same couple found Minorca better than all the others - any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imported post

Well Mdemon I have dived in Lanzarote for the best part of 3 month and a few weeks on Fuerteventura and for the best part of 6 years on Tenerife and I find Tenerife ist the better of the 3
a: There is a greater diversety of divesites
b: The watertemps are on average about 5C higer than on the western Islands
c: it has a much longer coastline
d: there are mor subtropical fish as oposed to the western Islands
e: as Tenerife has not got such a large shelf around it one finds more pelagic species close to shore as well
But in the end it is all down to personal prefrence.

Hope this helps.
Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts