YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

After 3 weeks of waiting, I finally got out today to try out my new Canon DRebel set up. The kit was as follows:

Canon Drebel
Ikelite housing
Ikelite DS125 strobe
manual EV controller

To make things a bit tasty I went to capernwray to try it out - a little hint - dont bother, it was a real pea souper (the whole world went to Cape today) and I didnt bother with the camera on the second dive.

The set up weighs about 18lbs out of the water but is only slightly negative in the water. Tested the housing for leaks in my bath and then off to cape.

The first thing that I had to get used to was the fact that there is no LCD for composing so you have to use the viewfinder - not as easy as it sounds but soon got the hang of it.

Given the lack of nudibranches, whalesharks and soft corals, DaveJ offered to be my male Moddellll

Operating all the buttons and switches is easy and I would recommend the manual EV controller to anyone who is buying a strobe for digital. This in itself allows another dimension when fiddling with exposure settings. I used Manual settings, generally F5.6 @ 1/100.

I`ve posted a couple of pics below and can say that given that it was Cape I am very pleased initially with the kit. Next try out is at Vivian which has much better vis.

Oh - by the way, yes I did use PS7 on the pics in adjusting some of the levels.

If you are thinking of getting this camera - go for it but be advised that the set up is a lot heavier than my previous C4040

The pics are a bit iffy due to getting the right file size to post - they look great on a full screen - honest !!!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Nice one Kirky.  That trout shot looks excellent - a lot easier to take moving fish with the DSLR compared to the 4040 I'd imagine.

Did you order the storm case yet?

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Hi Tim - yep - much better without the shutter lag. I have ordered the Storm case and it should arrive next week. Went for the 2720 in the end as I needed more depth in the case.

I am well impressed with the EV controller having previously had the TTL slave. Tell you what though - there were loads of folk in Cape today with cameras - never seen so many !!

Pity the vis was so crap - literally inches on the second dive - ugh

Roll on Teneriffe in July. When you next out ??

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Hi Tim - yep - much better without the shutter lag. I have ordered the Storm case and it should arrive next week. Went for the 2720 in the end as I needed more depth in the case.

I am well impressed with the EV controller having previously had the TTL slave. Tell you what though - there were loads of folk in Cape today with cameras - never seen so many !!

Pity the vis was so crap - literally inches on the second dive - ugh

The viewfinder took a lot of getting used to and I am going to experiment with a diopter inside the case (bought a couple for my mask but not too clever) so I can see the settings a bit clearer. Even with a prescription mask its hard due to my Mr magoo prescription

Roll on Teneriffe in July. When you next out ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.