YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've now havegot myself a Canon 400D complete with Fantasea F400D housing and used it at Oban with just a focusing light (8 LEDs) and my green force 10 watt HID, it takes great macro down to 2" from the lens surface lighting up all of the picture...now the problem...
...If I back off to take pictures at 3 foot or more only the centre of the picture/LCD is well lit and the rest is a bit dark/natural light.

So I have to seriously consider more lighting/flash/strobe.

I'm thinking of eTTL evaluative monitoring with a flash/ strobe...now for the rub...

The camera supports eTTL with a Canon 580EX flash attached directly to the hot shoe, AND I'm told by Fantasea that the housing supports eTTL when the leads (6 pin bulkhead fitting are connected to the hotshoe inside the camera and a 6 pin sync lead is connected to the 580EX mounted in its dedicated housing....ie I have to buy both the 580EX, the housing AND the sync lead.

QUESTION????? Will the Ettl function work with other makes and models of strobe: particularly the SEA and Sea YL 110 which I know works with a Canon400D when mounted inside a Sea and Sea Housing....If you get my drift, or am I stuck with either manual settings on the flash or have to buy the Fantasea housing and the Canon 580EX flash?

Thanks in advance for any help/comments/links you can offer.

BrianC

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
errm, I can't answer your question, but I believe you'll get better results in the long run by using manual settings on both the camera and strobe. As long as you have a strobe which has 10-12 power settings (ie quite a fine control over output). It really doesn't take long to get the hang of it. I nearly gave up on digital and went back to my trusty Nikonos V when I was getting crap results using automatic settings. A couple of practice dives and suddenly things started to get better.

Get the book by Martin Edge , read it and try it out. You'll save a fortune on an expensive strobe plus it's so much better when you get a good shot and you know it was what you wanted.

Cheers, Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts