YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife has just done her digital underwater photography specialality and now she wants to upgrade from our sony p10 to a dslr. seeing the prices of housings im trying to persuade her not to run before she walks.........so ive heard that the canon g7 is a bit of a halfway camera.........anyone out there with one or seen any results taken with one of these........

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
my wife has just done her digital underwater photography specialality and now she wants to upgrade from our sony p10 to a dslr. seeing the prices of housings im trying to persuade her not to run before she walks.........so ive heard that the canon g7 is a bit of a halfway camera.........anyone out there with one or seen any results taken with one of these........
General consensus from the reviews I've read is that the Canon G7 is a bit of an 'own goal' from Canon. It's a real shame as previous G-series cameras were very good but Canon dropped the ball with this one. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything else on the market that fills the same gap in the market. Anyway, why the G7? From what I can see, it neither offers anything that's significantly better than, say, a Fuji F31FD or comes close to a 'real' DSLR (it doesn't even support RAW mode!)...

Good review here... Canon PowerShot G7 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

·
The plan is vital, it's something to deviate from.
487 Posts
Sorry, John, the bad news is that there aren't any 'halfway there' cameras - it's either a compact or an SLR and even the newest compact models aren't anywhere close to equalling the handling performance of an SLR.

The good news, though, is that the image quality isn't really that much better. Take a look at a site called Steve's Digicams (Steve's Digicams - Main Menu) he does camera reviews that are illustrated with a variety of pics but he always includes one of the back of what looks like a hospital. Download some of these and compare them and there's not much to choose between any 6mp or more compact or SLR, at least until you get to very big print sizes. The G7 is on there.

The major difference between an SLR and a compact is that the SLR will shoot faster when you press the button. The downsides are that it will cost way more, (As you know), you need to choose your lens before the dive, and the rig will be very heavy and cumbersome out of the water. Ultimate picture quality is better, though, especially tonality, and the range of lens options is wider so you can get more extreme macro and wide-angle.

IMHO, though, it isn't necessarily a progression from compact to SLR. If you can at all I'd suggest you see if you can get hold of an SLR for your wife to handle and dive with before parting with any hard earned.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'd suggest sticking with a compact for a while - there's a lot to learn and practice. Excellent results come more from good technique than expensive equipment.

Having said that, compacts vary in quality - good lenses are important, build quality etc. It's not just about megapixels.

I've had some great results with the superb Olympus 5050 in an Ikelite housing (see low quality jpegs attached) but I'm moving to SLR now because of the faster shutter speed. I'm sure I will miss the flexibility of the zoom lens and wide angle lens that can be removed underwater though.
Incidentally, I'll be selling this rig soon to help pay for the expensive housing and ports for my SLR.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'd go for an Oly 5060 plus housing - they come up on ebay regularly.

Best thing is the degree of control you get over all the camera functions - plus it shoots RAW format.

When/if you decide to get rid to upgrade to a DSLR, I doubt you'd lose a lot of money on the Oly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts