YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to check out something before I buy!

We currently have a Canon G11 but Mr. D hogs it, yet I love taking photos too. I've been recommended a Canon S95 by Duxy from Cameras Underwater and have found a good deal from HK for a new one.
I was just wondering if anyone knows that as long as we have the right adaptors, would we be able to buy one fisheye lens that would suit both cameras/housing, fitting permitting. We will both have the canon housings not Ikelites, and also will we need a strobe to use with a fisheye? I think I read somewhere on here that using a fish eye could cause a shadow. We're both pretty new to underwater photography hence why we are doing a trip with Duxy in Nov in t'Egypt.
We'd rather just buy one set that would fit both, otherwise, I will probably go for another G11/G10 (2nd hand) so we can share as we will make a deal before we jump to who uses the fisheye.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Mrs. D. :cocktail:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
You can't use the external w/a lenses with the G11 in a Canon housing. You need a housing with a short port.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Chris,

I found a link that said you could but I realised it was with a Recsea housing not the Canon. Think S95 is defo way to go then :)

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
:puke:
Underwater Wide-Angle BigEye Lens for Canon G10 ,G11, G12 , S90, S95[/url]
Aha, Mr Mozaik again.

I had words with this gentleman on another forum when he tried to persuade people there that

This one [Nikon P7000 and Fantasea housing] is going to be the hot compact underwater camera for 2011
Not so, the S95 for example walks all over it.

He also had a singular lack of knowledge when it came to the differences between Nikon and Nikkor (a dSLR thing exclusively) lenses, when he was in fact talking P&Ss anyway.

I'm sure that it shows that I am extremely impressed by that person. :puke:

Reactions: Mrs. D

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Looking at the web site, this w/a adaptor won't do a huge amount for the field of view compared with what the Inon (or even Epoque) lenses do. The clue is on the web site which shows an 80 degree angle of view. The Inon ones start at 100 degrees, the fish-eye has 165.5 degrees FoV. However, if money is strictly limited, then that adaptor would increase the FoV for both cameras.

Be very careful - the Fantasea one is not a fish-eye by any stretch of the imagination. Calling the product BigEye is probably a sneaky trick to make you think it's just as good as a fish-eye lens, but maybe that's just me being cynical!

Cheers, Chris

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Regarding strobes, the Inon w/a and fish-eye lenses block part of the flash, so you will almost certainly want to get a strobe as soon as money permits. If a kind cash-fairy pops along, then going for a pair of S90s (or S95s), one Inon w/a, one Inon fish-eye and 2 Inon macro lenses will give you pretty much the ultimate compact camera his'n'hers set-up going.

One small word of caution: Inon now have 2 bayonet mount systems so if you consider buying an S95 I believe you'll need the newer system which would make the lenses incompatible with any second-hand S90.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks both,

I will have to sit and digest some of this as we already have the G11 which Mr. D is happy with, thanks for the warnings and advice though. Think I will stick with the S95 though and can he save up for his own stuff ;-)

Mrs. D.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi

I have a fantasea big eye lense I bought for my Fuji as it was cheaper! It works to some extent but has to be put on in the water and only works underwater i would strongly recommend NOT to buy these as even though they are cheap they are not worth the money!

Let me know how you get on camera wise and which you decide! I may even see you on the red sea trip in november!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, saw a camera come onto eBay yesterday, made him an offer as he was local, and picked up a 6 week old S95 (in brand spanking conditon!) today! Really pleased with it, so much more compact than our G11 so Mr. D. can keep that one! Off to Capers in a couple of weeks to try it out before our Farnes trip so need to find a bargain housing now too!! Shark raving, will keep you posted with some initial pics and hope to see you on the Duxy trip! Thanks for everyones comments, they really helped me decide!
A very happy Mrs. D :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hey Mrs D

I have the S95 set up with the dome port, you can not get the fish eye any more

On Monday night I'll take pictures and list all the bits & peices you will need

Ruppert [my S95 set up] arrived just three days before the Socorro trip, I flew in a few hours ago

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Mrs D

I have the S95 set up with the dome port, you can not get the fish eye any more

On Monday night I'll take pictures and list all the bits & peices you will need

Ruppert [my S95 set up] arrived just three days before the Socorro trip, I flew in a few hours ago
Hi Venus, did you put any pics up? I have just come back from the farnes and am jealous at some of the hotos taken with a wide angle lens (dSLR too admittedly) but am tempted to invest before red Sea trip in November...what set up have you got with your S95 and how does ir fair?!

Thanks,

Mrs. D.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Mrs D, glad you got sorted in the end. I too am looking forward to the November trip, if you want need any help in the meantime just give me a bell. I no longer work for CU but myself and my colleagues who were made redundant, are still in the same place but go under the name of Ocean Leisure Cameras. I also have my own site with a bit of a teaching slant its in a fairly embryonic stage at the moment. Photography,wet and dry - Start Here I got back last week from a workshop and was using the S95 almost exclusively and have just put up an album of pics Photography,wet and dry - Gallery - OONAS WorkShop Gallery Red Sea August2011 using various lenses both wideangle and macro, and also continuous lighting set ups.
I like it, its a pretty cool little camera and the best we have encountered in a long time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Duxy, i'm really looking forward to it, I just need to learn the basics of it really. I tried it in the Farnes a couple of weeks ago but the viz wasn't great and I hadn't really had a proper play with it so ended up cheating and just using the HD video - which I loved actually!
I saw from FB you have a new adventure so will definitely check it out!
Actually I saw the OONAS workshop pics...were they with the S95???!! They are amazing photos, so I want to have some as good as that by the end of the trip! But will check out your website inthe meantime to make sure I am a good student when on the boat ;-)

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
I have had the G10 for a few years now with the cannon housing and have had to make my own mount for the Inon lenses, The only one I can use is the macro lenses. As for the S90/95 Bobalot got one a few months back for our Maldives trip on the comparrison
The S90 gave a better quallity photo. As for wide angle I feel that a big eye will be waisted and just stick with Macro lenses.
To use the wide angle, a zoom of X4 is required to stop vingeting as you need to bring the camera lense as close to the Inon as possable.
Any more than X4 zoom distortion occures. Thuss one is between a rock and a hard place.
Leave the camera as is, PM me for how to make an Inon housing holder for Macro with the G10 and then you can use the macro lenses with both cameras.

Reactions: Mrs. D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Duxy .... aren't you at Ocean Leisure too, or are you out fending for yourself now???
Didnt you see me fending for myself on Monday night in Hackney? I was wearing a hoodie and carrying a 40" Plasma under my arm, had a lovely new pair of trainers then went for a bargain bucket surrendered at knife point in the local KFC. But yes by day I am to be mostly found under the arches at OLC.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Thanks Dux ..... well now that you mention it, there were one or two familiar faces I saw in the paper the following day

Nice to see you on here

I'll be wandering up to see you in the next couple of weeks because I need a new bolt for my tray/ handle, the allen key hole is all warn down
[no doubt Mario will end up selling me yet another camera!]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts