YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Any information or advice on diving around cape town SA.  Interested in water temperature around September time (Should I take my drybag).

Definitely doing some cage diving :hai: and will probably make time for some :boozer:

Thanks for the info Bren,  any other tips, advice or any other things to do around Cape town area gratefully received.

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Where to start....?

There's Stellenbosch, the 'Wine Route', the 'Garden Route', The Rhodes (Cecil) Memorial, Roben Island (where Mandela was held for about 20 odd years in prison - amazing place. See the URL here:

http://caleb.smith.tripod.com/rob_is_1.htm

Then there's Table Mountain itself - awsome!! Then there's the Albert and Victoria waterfront in Cape Town itself, truly tastefully done and very period. There are seals and penguins lounging in the sun all over the place.

Then you can hang around the Cape of Good Hope - great trip through some National Parks with wild monkeys and baboons. Standing on the Cape itself is breath-taking - the meeting place of the South Atlantic and the Indian Oceans; it's easy to see why so many ships over the centuries have come to grief in the crashing currents.

Simonstown Naval base and its associated museums (especially the colonial Police museum) are a must see.

http://home.mweb.co.za/re/redcap/navalpol.htm

http://www.hyltonross.co.za/cape-point-tour.html

Added to which, the Rand is at about 17 to the £ at the moment, with no chance of getting any stronger, so your quids in when buying food and gifts (and you can claim the VAT back on them at the airport before you leave!)

All-in-all a top destination - highly recommended.

PS: If you can, yes take/hire a dry-bag; if not, take/hire a semi-dry with a shortie under-suit.

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 5:56 pm on Jan. 13, 2003)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the reply Bren,  

Depending on the luggage allowance, will probably take my drybag but with all the other info you have listed I don't know whether to take the rest of my gear now.  It sounds like I might not have time to do much diving anyway

It sounds like I am going to be very busy and thanks for the tips on the wine routes,  I am partial to a cheeky little tipple when I get the chance.

Fortunatly I will be going with a friend and his wife and both the girls are not keen on getting in a cage but they want to get on the boat so I guess me and my mate will have to stay twice as long in the cage to make best use of their missed time :biggrin:

Sorry won't have any really good photos, but hopefully should have some good video footage
 I might be able to pull a few stills from the video but will gladly pass a copy of the video onto you Bren for your advice.

Thanks again.

(Flying on September 11th !!  Should I worry !!).  What the ####, when it's your time; It's your time...

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Don't forget the Pampers, will be there in November, so will come touting for tips when you get back

Andrew

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Hi Andy,

No worries, will post a report when I get back,  we have got the flights sorted and a cottage overlooking the sea so we can watch the whales migrating past over a cool gin and tonic.  :biggrin:

Think I know what you mean on the pampers, after seeing the shark program on channel 5 this week I was thinking of taking a wetsuit instead of the drysuit on the basis it is easier to clean ;)

Kind Regards,
Daz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts