YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'll be in Cape Town for a week or so mid november and I'd like to get a couple of days diving in.
I believe it's the wrong season for great whites - never mind.
Anybody dived around here? Any recommendations for dive sites & dive outfits?
Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Loads of info.

Hey there.

I come from Cape Town. :sun: :p

I moved here about 4 years ago and have done loads of diving in CT so can give you loads of info. :)

You can dive 12 months of the year in CT as you have 2 oceans. You have Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean. The Atlantic is somewhat colder - like the water here - it gets to about 5 degrees celcuis and even lower!

Then the Indian is warmer and reaches tempretures as high as 23 degrees celcuis and these are the waters that are home to the ever famous great white shark due to the seal island and breeding colony in the Indian Ocean not far from Gordans Bay. You could probably even get a shark cage dive in if you wish! Really awesome! Did some myself and must say - better than .....

You do get the Great White in the Atlantic but only in Summer - so they say!

Winter normally starts in Cape Town about June and I would say from then on they dive in the Indian Ocean. It's strange how it works but one side the sea is messed up and the other side it is diveable and visa versa!

But generally winter time - you dive in the Indian Ocean and Summer time - you dive in the Atlantic. So there you have it!

There are loads of dive shops etc, but a friend of mine owns a dive shop and please do get in touch with him. His name is Mark and his shop is called Scubashack. He has a shop in Simonstown and one in Cape Town. You can go onto his website - www.scubashack.co.za.

You definatley must dive the Maori. She is a fab shipwreck just off Hout Bay. But beware, the water temp. can get as low as 3 degrees. If you go summer time - take a 7mm westuit or drysuit. If you go winter take a 5mm wetsuit.

There are loads of dives to do and lots to see. Scubashack will be able to help you as Mark is an old seadog and has dived CT flat!

Shipwrecks to dive are:- Maori, Oakburn, The Barge/The Boss, Antipolis, PMB, Smits Wrecks... arg .... there are loads...

Well, happy diving and let me know how it goes.

Bye

·
Registered
142 Posts
Aquarium

Hi Rick,

Last time I was there the weather was bad and a sw wind blew up a real bloody mess. After moaning about it to the local dive shop I ended up diving with the 5 raggies in the big "Predator Tank". It was good fun and gave me some awesome photo's too. A real good 40 mins despite the "captive" audience. Dive on Sunday and you can feed the buggers too!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Duiker said:
Hi Rick,

Last time I was there the weather was bad and a sw wind blew up a real bloody mess. After moaning about it to the local dive shop I ended up diving with the 5 raggies in the big "Predator Tank". It was good fun and gave me some awesome photo's too. A real good 40 mins despite the "captive" audience. Dive on Sunday and you can feed the buggers too!

Have to agree.. A definite must do is the predator tank in the two oceans aquarium. Quite cheap if I remember.

Daz

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Gooie aand, Hoe gaan dit?

Hi Sea Wych,

Whereabouts in Cape town did you hail from originally - I'm from Fish Hoek, now living in Staffordshire.

Cheers,

Dawn "Bunny" Johnson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hoezit.

Well, this thread has litten up.

I used to dive for Two Oceans Aquarium. I was a volunteer there for 3 years and dived the Preditor tank many a time, and yes, it is a good dive and the nice thing is the viz is always excellent! And the water temp is good too.

My favourite was always the Kelp tank. The fish in there are ever so friendly! Especially when it is food time, they come up to you and you even get a chance to see which fish have mouth problems etc...

I loved the aquarium! So if you get a chance do a dive, it is well worth it!

Hey Dawn, well, I lived in many locations. I travelled SA alot and am origianally from PMB. I ended up living in CT for 8 years. My home was Table View. Dived Robben Island many a time - Large Perlemoen there! Yum yum!

Did you do any diving in SA? I must say SA has some lovely dives, especially if you can get to dive around Robben Island. There are tons of wrecks to see there but not only that because it is a world heritage site, it the reef gets limited divers, so the marine life is mindblowing!

·
2i/C 'Bristol Massive'
74 Posts
Fab Place

SA is just a fab place to visit, something for everyone - even Bill Oddy (he was filming whilst we were there!).

The diving in the aquarium is really good fun - especially when the kids are all at the glass looking in with amazement!

If they still have it, watch out for the turtle, it is huge and the most dangerous thing in the Predator tank believe me! Being the only female in the group that did the dive, I got special treatment and was allowed to touch the underbelly of one of the raggy's - very soft and the turtle tried to mount me!!!!

Anyway, have a great time, post a report when you get back.

Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts