YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Arrived at Capernwray at 10.am as arranged with Wyota and there he was waiting at the gate. We had to wait at the gate for the management to do something (what I don’t know but they didn’t want us in the car park) we were then signalled to enter. I had to register and sign the necessary disclaimer then it was back to the car to kit up.

We weren’t first into the water but there were only about 5 cars in the car park and I know that they had two try dives going on but from the side I could see that the viz was good. I was very exited and eager to prove that I could be a good buddy despite my lack of experience, we entered from the slipway and did the final check then on with hood mask and fins and edge slowly backwards.

I hadn’t dived in freshwater before and I had packed a bit less weight so firstly I did a buoyancy test, yep sunk nicely and attracted a lot of attention from some big trout. A final okay and down we went, we finned to a car wreak then a van and then we turned around to find a helicopter, by this time my feet were starting to feel uncomfortable, I hadn’t put thick socks on so perhaps the boot bits of the dry suit were rubbing. Anyway we headed back as I tend to be a bit greedy with the air, we then did the safety stop, while killing three minutes a very large trout came to pay us a visit (it seemed as tame as a puppy in a pet shop) and give us the once over and as quick as it had appeared it vanished.

We got to the rocks to take our kit off, before exiting the water I put my mask gloves and hood down and began to undo the uncomfortable fins then as pulled off the first fin I realised why they were hurting, I had failed to remember to remove those plastic inserts that keep the foot part of the fin in shape. I quickly tucked it back into the fin and removed the other with my back to Wyota so he wouldn’t think that he had agreed to buddy a right wally.

Back on the car park I did explain what I had done, Wyota didn’t seem too concerned and we had lunch.

When we returned to the water for the second dive the viz was noticeably poorer but we still had reasonable sight. This dive was going well and I was at over 17 metres when I thought that I would adjust my computer to see it a little better, as I pulled it around my cuff I felt my arm starting to turn cold from the wrist, then the elbow and then the shoulder, the more I tried to stop it the worse it got. I resigned myself to the fact that on this dive I would have a damp suit and continued.

When we got to the point of ascending my buoyancy was not to good I could not release any air from the cuff dump as the whole arm was so wet that it didn’t let sufficient air percolate through it. Being a newbie to diving and a very newbie to dry suits I couldn’t think of another way to get negative buoyancy (with a BCD you have several dumps) before I knew it I has heading for the surface like a Polaris missile from a nuclear submarine, left hand held high but very little air coming out and the air was expanding in my suit, I had an image of arriving at the surface like some cartoon character, over inflated.

At the surface I checked my computer and it hadn’t bleeped nor did it show any warnings, I suppose that I was lucky that we had already ascended slowly quite a way before I was launched.

Back at the car my aborted space mission was discussed, I am now going to have a shoulder dump fitted.

The morale of this report, no matter how confident you feel, experience is something that you can’t be given or buy, you got to attain it for yourself.

I would like to thank Wyota for being my buddy and hope that through this report I have not alienated myself to any other potential buddies.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Look on the bright side, the other POLARIS was removed from site by Helicopter, you must have missed that. Your wet undersuit was obstructing the movement of air, my suit stops before the cuff dump and has a mesh bit to avoid this. Your other choice was to open the neck seal or a wrist seal to let out the excess air.

Glad you came out of it OK.  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Simon
sounds like you are wise enough to know that with every dive with a problem is a chunk of experience gained. Just been looking back at my log (cos it's full and I am filing away last years) and on nearly every dive I have noted what I learned from each problem. Those are the things I learned for myself even though other people might have talked to me about it before hand.  I dont learn something new everytime nowadays. I t was really interesting reading your dive report. I often have the wet left arm problem too, usually because my undersuit is blocking the cuff dump. A few people I know have chopped the sleeve off their undersuit or put gaffer tape round it to keep it clear of the dump.
jules:D

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phil Ennis @ Sep. 28 2003,19:08)]Look on the bright side, the other POLARIS was removed from site by Helicopter, you must have missed that. Your wet undersuit was obstructing the movement of air, my suit stops before the cuff dump and has a mesh bit to avoid this. Your other choice was to open the neck seal or a wrist seal to let out the excess air.

Glad you came out of it OK.  
Was that on Sunday? We were just coming up as the heliflopter was taking off.

What happened?

Dom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Imported post

Finally found where this rpt was posted.

Diving was enjoyable, and as with any good dive, experience added.  

Have made a few small laminated bearing maps suitable for wrist or slate mount for future Cape diving.

Hadn't heard about the chopper lift.  We departed between 4:00 and 4:30, so assume was after that.  

Thanks to Simon TW for buddying, Good Buddy, hope to dive together again sometime.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

We came out of the water about 12:30 amd there was a whirly-bird just lifting off from by the wooden half-built building overlooking the site - not sure if that was the same one.

Dom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.