YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Capernwray a go go............

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Davey Willo 
#1 ·
Imported post

Three go to dive at Capernwray.

Great, another dive at C!ap `n stay away. 0m Viz, loads of people and an inch and a half of rain in four hours. Potter around in the mud, get lost, surface and go home.

My thoughts leaving the house on the way up the M6.

Met up with Alistair and Stef. Some proper Yorkshire divers from Skipton. Dam fine fellows with a ton of scary dive tales to tell. So after kitting up we plodded down and jumped in. Ben sporting his shining new 15l o2 cleaned tank full of devil gas purchased with his new TDI card!!

At this point I feel an apology is owed to Capernwray. Hereafter to be called Mr Capernwray. Let me set the scene.

Jumped in off the pier into balmy 8 degrees water. Swan over to the cliff. Dunked my head in the water to see how bad the viz was. All I could see was the 10m of cliff down to the bottom and loads of big fish. Wow. Im not joking. Apart from the odd little section where the trainees had been,  the viz was amazing. 5 - 10 m easy. Even in the sump. I had what I dare say, was the best inland dive I have had in a quarry.

We were diving as a threesome. No problems. Alistair and Stef definitely had their stuff together. Even with some trendy flashing strobes flashing on their backs!!

At this point I need to also point out the second reason the dive was great. Alistair -Mr Navigator.

Seriously, I always have trouble navigating at Caps. Don't know why,  just do. Alistair (like the back of my hand), doesn't even need the map.

This guy effortlessly took us on the tour. From a random cliff wall we hit the oilrig. Then the Podsnap, then the deco stop in the stump. Then back hitting the Posdsnap bang on and out via a little boat. No map, no bearings written down. I was impressed,

Second dive. This time on EAN40. How good is it to dive on! Jumped in and dropped down in the middle of no where. Mr Navigator then lead us out to the far right helicopter. A 200m swim. I swear we hit it bang on. We then swam back and hit the Podsnap bang on then the gypsy moth. Those of you who have dived Caps no how hard that is. The viz was amazing letting us really enjoy the long swims there and back. As we did the safety stop even the bright sun was shining through the surface of the water. We popped out of the water into a clear blue sunny sky!!

All in all a great day. If we do a treasure hunt. We have to ban Alistair and stef. Or let me join there team!!!

Only down side. Two 50 minute dives in the cold has given Ben one #### of a cold / flu!!!!!   Oh well worth it.

Seriously though. I have slagged off caps more than most. I've had some really bad days and some great days. Hopefully now its winter the good days are back. Its gone back up in my estimations to being one of the best dive sites up north.

Honestly I'm not on commission!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Imported post

Cheers Ben - mr Navigator - praise indeed - you should see me at work in the black of coniston - its uncanny!! you missed out on two superb dives there on sunday - vis over 10m - unbelievable, water was bastard cold tho after 50 minutes!!

see you for some more diving soon
Ali

#4 ·
Imported post

OK, looks like this may be the inaugural troop gig of 2003.

Davey Willo, Kirky, Ammers, Stevie W and myself are presenting what passes for our post New Year's Eve carcasses at the Cape on Saturday, 04th Jan to do at least two dives, poss three, we'll see how we go.

I'm arriving there between 09.00 and 10.00 hrs.

Everyone who fances blowing the cobwebs away and having a wet please feel free to join us.

Cheers,

#6 ·
Imported post

Put me down as a definite - as with Kirky, not knowing what any of you look like could be a problem.... although being the only people there on the first weekend of the year it may not be that difficult......

07786 661859

Ali

#9 ·
Imported post

Willo, I'll swap you my yellow box of debt for your twins, the fucker keeps trying to kill me!!!  All my dives are now spent trying to stay alive, never mind enjoy the diving!!!

I really don't recommend rebreather diving unless you are seriously committed or building up to some seriously deep dives, the risk's not worth it!

#10 ·
Imported post

I`ll be in a light blue Citroen Picasso. I`ll be wearing specs and will probably have a *** hanging out of my mouth (thanks Mrs K). Tel 07801837673.

If its anything like last Sunday we will be the only ones there !!!

#17 ·
Imported post

Yeah nice to meet you too Phil, sorry I had to rush off for me next dive, but as you say we'll hopefully all have a chance to have a looong natter and a dip or two next time.

Hopefully you'll be joining us on a sea dive soon anyway

Keep safe mate, chat soon
Dave.

p.s. Phil, there are some XL Jetfins in the shop that I'm wanting but they are ordered by someone else, if the guy who ordered them doesn't turn up can you give me a shout please mate, cheers

#20 ·
Imported post

Redwing prolly.....

Would love Halcyon's finest but financially deprived right now.... Mind you, strapping a couple of old Fenzy's between the tanks may work..

And a DIY harness.

(Edited by Driftwood at 10:43 pm on Jan. 5, 2003)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.