YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who have seen it will not be surprised to hear that the frosty mobile has failed its MOT on several things. It's an old, small diesel estate and I like it. The question is just how much money is reasonable to keep a car that suits me on the road bearing in mind the hassel of finding another one?If the answer is 'not much', anyone flogging a cheap car?

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Those who have seen it will not be surprised to hear that the frosty mobile has failed its MOT on several things. It's an old, small diesel estate and I like it. The question is just how much money is reasonable to keep a car that suits me on the road bearing in mind the hassel of finding another one?If the answer is 'not much', anyone flogging a cheap car?
I have an aged Triumph Sprint (72,000) miles which I like but its got a problem, that problem will cost about £500 to fix, the bike if written off would fetch about £1000 so is it worth me keeping it going?? Who knows, I guess you are in the same position, if you spend X amount to keep yours going will you a) have to spend more in the near future (say 6 months) to fix something else, b) what would you get for it if it was written off/stolen, would you at least get your money back, in which case it might be worth getting fixed. If you are going to spend more than its worth then tbh I think you'd be better off investing in a new vehicle but with your eyes open and aware you could be buying someone else's trouble.

Never an easy thing to come to terms with, someone once told me they put up with 2 expensive bills then out it when thet hird one comes up. Sounds pretty good advice to me.

Matt

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear it is broken, but could you define 'cheap'
:)
Well bear in mind the PMs we exchanged coupled with the fact that as an ice based life form, my earning potential is limited at this time of year.... very bloody cheap!:frown:

True although I had an ancient 240 that I still regret selling!

I have an aged Triumph Sprint (72,000) miles which I like but its got a problem, that problem will cost about £500 to fix, the bike if written off would fetch about £1000 so is it worth me keeping it going?? Who knows, I guess you are in the same position, if you spend X amount to keep yours going will you a) have to spend more in the near future (say 6 months) to fix something else, b) what would you get for it if it was written off/stolen, would you at least get your money back, in which case it might be worth getting fixed. If you are going to spend more than its worth then tbh I think you'd be better off investing in a new vehicle but with your eyes open and aware you could be buying someone else's trouble.

Never an easy thing to come to terms with, someone once told me they put up with 2 expensive bills then out it when thet hird one comes up. Sounds pretty good advice to me.

Matt
Sound advice. The hassle of finding a replacement is hard to factor into the equation too.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Ultimate Prat!

And BMW's :)http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/non-diving-posts/54398-ultimate-prat.html
Well bear in mind the PMs we exchanged coupled with the fact that as an ice based life form, my earning potential is limited at this time of year.... very bloody cheap!:frown:
That's kind of what I figured. I will check out a contact i have if you like

http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/non-diving-posts/54398-ultimate-prat.html

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Got my "Pimpmobile" back from the garage this evening.

Full service and MOT.

I went in to collect it and they offered me a chair to sit down before I got the "WILLIAM" - too big to be called Bill....

£753.93! OUCH!

New tyre
Rear Exhaust
Free off seized brake caliper Rear.. and front (F**k me - the brakes do work now!)
plus a couple of other things...

Was it worth it?
without the MOT worth about £200?
with MOT worth £2.5K and even more to me!

Tomorrow will find me arranging for a few private cases to pay for it... sigh...

But it is good to have my baby back home!

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Woz's missus old car was 300 notes :p

Not an easy question at all. Each time you spend on the car you become irrationaly less willing to part with it.

Our old 406 ran well and was trouble free for the 200,000Km of our ownership (bought 2nd hand with 55K on the clock). Then the air-con went and we "scapped" it. The engine ran well and nothing else was wrong with the car. The rear suspension had been replaced (600 Euro) and the cam-belt done recently (400 Euro). But the air-con was going to cost 2,500 Euro and the car was only worth 2,400 Euro. Had I had access to a workshop I could have fixed it for next to nothing.

Having had loads of old heaps of shit over the years my advice is to forget what you have already paid (that is dead dosh) and look at the replacement cost versus repair cost. Deduct the residual value of the present heap of junk from the replacement cost (face it - its shit and still will be if you fix it)

To make the decision look at the next MOT. What needs doing and what might need doing. The MOT is getting tougher. What about fuel economy? If the new motor saves 20 quid a week in derv...

If you can fix the car for (say) a grand then scrap it next year after spending nowt you have had a car for a grand for a year - cheap.

Your annual milage, how much you give a shit about what you drive, what your motor does to the gallon/litre and what you think might happen to fuel prices and so on all need to be factored in.

Sorry.

That didn't help much did it :D

You say you like it? Fix it. Fuck the cost - fix it.

You know it's what you want.

Chris

·
bored
2,308 Posts
We used to run a Bedford Midi van in work, drank fuel and every MOT was four tyres and an exhaust before it even went near the testing station. Which always ran to extras. At the time spending £6500 on a brand new van saved £1500 on MOT`s(based upon average cost of a pass) and over a grand a year in fuel.
Problem is that one could do with replacing now....

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well my Fiesta (worth £1500 on a good day), paid out £1100 so far to keep it going. Went in for rear brake shoes today - they want £400 for repairs!! New shoes, drum, rear tyres. Oh, and the front bushes also need doing at £130:angry: :angry:

So f**k it! I'm going to flog it privately and buy a cheap heap of sh*t <£500 - if it lasts for a year, that's all I need.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I've had an interesting morning. Got the news from the garage this morning. Nearly £800 bill. I told the garage people not to bother as I had set the limit at £500. Garage man asked for some time to make some calls. 20 minutes later, thanks to shopping around for parts the bill was reduced to £550 with the proviso that he fits the work in around other jobs for a few days. Result! I'm sure that (a) being pleasant, (b) looking poor and (c) clarifying a budget beyond which you can't go, are all factors in getting a good deal.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Well I've had an interesting morning. Got the news from the garage this morning. Nearly £800 bill. I told the garage people not to bother as I had set the limit at £500. Garage man asked for some time to make some calls. 20 minutes later, thanks to shopping around for parts the bill was reduced to £550 with the proviso that he fits the work in around other jobs for a few days. Result! I'm sure that (a) being pleasant, (b) looking poor and (c) clarifying a budget beyond which you can't go, are all factors in getting a good deal.
That's a very interesting story. So basically you haggled a price and they managed to fix if for almost the exact amount. My guess is they saw the work going out of the door, realised they could do it for the price you were willing to pay so dropped their price. Be interesting to know if they really sourced other parts or just adjusted the labour charge to what they could do it for as opposed to what the book says, time wise.

Might be worth remembering that one for the future.

Matt

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
As is (d) avoiding main dealers....

Andrew
And e) playing the girlie card and sobbing, eh, Frosty :D

seriously.... great news, matey :)

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Silly man. You could have had Missus Woz's Scorpio for £300. And I even drove the thing down to Devon too to deliver it. Bit of a shed but it goes and stops and was MOTd till October. Drive it all summer then throw it away if it fails.
I must admit it did tempt me but I didn't expect such a dire MOT result. The value of my car is also enhanced by the several tons of guano clinging to the bodywork though.:embarassed:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts