YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Technical Dive Instructor
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for British tank experts...

I am looking at bringing a huge pile of dive kit from outside Europe into the UK, including 20 of my Catalina aluminium 80cft. stage tanks. The issue is that they are all DOT stamped and not CE. How and where in the UK can they be re-stamped with the CE mark? I guess it must be possible, as Catalina delivers the exact same tanks to the EU, with CE markings instead of DOT, so the tank design is definitely CE approved. How much would this cost per tank? They are all within hydro & visual, but I guess those would have to be repeated in the process anyway?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
The simple answer is to sell what you've got, and buy CE tanks. It will cost a fair bit less, and be much much easier, than trying to get your cyls CE stamped.

I have known a couple of people try to get this done, in most cases they've ended up either selling or with their own compressor and gas at home.

Digs.

·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that where I am, the market for 2nd hand tanks is saturated at the moment, and I would probably not get more then 50 Euro for a perfectly good 2010 tank with next to new valve.
I would be filling those tanks myself anyway, but what about the next hydro? I guess nobody would hydrotest a non CE tank, would they?

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I used to get mine tested on the understanding that they wouldnt be stamped and wouldnt be coming in for fills if they passed but would be destroyed if they failed. I was filling my own so suited me as I just wanted peace of mind. Over the years I flogged them all, I have one AL30 left from my Yank cylinders I brought home. Ebay is good as people will buy any old shit without reading or understanding the ad. That might seem immoral to some but caveat emptor, the info was all there.

I'd look at a commercial test centre rather than a dive shop. They tend to be a lot more knowledgeable. CTS in Liverpool has been recommended to me in the past, never used them though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Will dive in a waist deep muddy puddle
373 Posts
Solent Divers in Portsmouth will do it for you.

Call Alan HARES there 02392 814924

You can't get them CE stamped but they will test them, and fill them

Its bizzare but as they are not CE marked you not allowed to transport them in your car (not sure how they expect you to travel around with them), however you would be very unlucky to find a Police officer who knows that / or the offence your committing.

regards

Alex

·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allright, so don't take those stupid DOT tanks, sell them and get new ones. Understood.
Are the rules the same inside the EU at least, e.g. tanks that I bought in Germany, with CE and papers, may be used, transported, rented out, tested, filled, etc. in the UK? I got a good offer for CE Faber Alu + Steel tanks in Germany.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts