YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>now you are here, is there such a thing as a patron saint of divers? I dont know if there is a patron saint database you can search, but there seems to be a saint for everything....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Catholic I am not, but a simple web search produced "Adjutor". He's the patron saint against drowning, for drowning victims, (that covers your bases doesn't it), for swimmers and swimming.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Not being Catholic eather, Neptune does for me although i think Captain Nemo would be a close second.

Not that that probably helps much

Paul

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

In the absence of any suitable candidate I will grudgingly put myself foward.  Granted I will have to make some changes to my appearance eg. loseing my hair and develop a big old beer gut as well as some personality changes such as constantly complaining about the cost of fills, the annoyance of buddies, as well becoming a luddite totally disapproving of any technical developments.

On the down side I'll have to have all you lot come and worshop at my feet.

I'll start a cult where all young trainees of the female variety will have to pay their 'respects'.  All possessions will have to be handed over to me also.  Oh, and if you try and leave, we will send out a couple of devoted acolytes to pee in your tanks

Sounds strange?  Well imagine the uber-DO and you're kind of close.

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Captain Nemo ran a strip joint in Prague when we were there last September, never got to meet him so can't vouch for his sainthood!

Blanaid

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (divegyrl @ Mar. 15 2004,11:30)]Captain Nemo ran a strip joint in Prague when we were there last September, never got to meet him so can't vouch for his sainthood!

Blanaid
<font color='#F52887'>were you just there for the girls, or working?

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phill @ Mar. 15 2004,09:53)]Catholic I am not, but a simple web search produced "Adjutor". He's the patron saint against drowning, for drowning victims, (that covers your bases doesn't it), for swimmers and swimming.
<font color='#F52887'>Strange name, where did you get that from? I tried searching too and couldnt come up with anything.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

I like this Captain Nemo.

He's got my kinda job.

Paul

·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I never heard of your name before, is it Irish Gaelic?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

I found Adjutor as well.

There was a link for Scuba, whilch linked on to swimming.

There is some more here.

Dom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

going to prague wednesday tea time any tips
i.e strip joints, bars, night clubs whoops i mean churchs ,bridge's,culture
just in case i need to research the saint thing where did you say it was

·
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>yep,
The name means 'flower' and she was a bit of a naughty lass in irish mythology:

The wife of Cu Roi mac Daire who came originally from the Otherworld, and who fell to him as the spoils of war. She secretly loved CuChulain; she revealed the secret entrance to her husband's fortress to him by milking her cow and letting the milk run down the hill into a stream. Cuchulainn followed the stream, raided the fortress and rescued Blanaid who enabled him to murder Cu Roi by entangling his hair, Delilah-like, to the bedstead. She was killed by Cu Roi's poet Fercartna, who avenged his lord by throwing himself off a cliffedge clasping the faithless Blanaid.
Her son, Lugaid was known as the 'Son of Three Dogs' because Blanaid was believed to have lain with Conall Cernach and CuChulain as well as her husband (Cu or Conn means dog). He avenged his father's death by beheading CuChulain.
Her story follows a well-known folk motif: that of the betraying Flower-Bride, a role she shares with both Blodeuwedd and Guinevere
Goddess of Magic & Time

Also spelt Blathnaid/Blathnat/Blanid
She was also the laysister who cooked for the community of St. Brigid of Kildare. Which was probably the one my parents used to name me, I prefer the mythology one though!

Blanaid

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Are we not all Catholic Divers? I mean we are in and out as often as possible and try not to get in trouble. It's called the Rhythm Method of diving isn't it  

No, wait a minute, we do wear protection!

Damn, I'm confused now.

·
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>gave my tourist books to Juz's parents who went to Prague so don't have the address, BUT there is usually a free tourist guide in your hotel room that you will find the ad for Nemo's in!
take an evening cruise with dinner down the river & then wander to Nemo's after!

Blanaid

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

It's actually St Brendan! Mr T(unsurprisingly) found it on t'web a few months ago. IIRC he's the patron Saint for fishermen and mariners, so was an obvious candidate.

Peter

·
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>but when Iestyn tried to book into the Seameans Mission in Dover he was told that divers weren't close enough to seamen!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I phoned the Seaman's Mission thing but apparently a diver is insufficiently close to being a seafairer which is probably a valid point
Although I think we should adopt St. Brendan like the Californian lot!
St Brendan

Blanaid

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Scenes from My Family Album

Yes, well of course this was from my 'Cloak and Cowl' period; not oft seen nowadays in diving emporiums, but still cutting a dash, what?

It was a bugger to get in under a dry-bag, I can tell ya! Buoyancy-effecting, the works! The Hessian under-garments used to, as the French might have it, 'Chafe-le-Nads-a-Tad', to boot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts