YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Whislt up in St Abbs recently, Willo and I met this chap, Ian Walker, a native of Glasgow, who had lived out in Florida and had had the good fortune to dive Ginnie and Cow Springs (lucky barsteward). He rated Cow above Ginnie - and who am I to argue, having never dived either?!

Anyway, here's the skinny on one of the dive centres he used for (and he highly recommends them) all his cave/cavern diving in the area. I think you'll agree that some of the pictures are, to use to the Old French, "Le 'Nads", and give a good sense of the ingress/egree point and the cave itself. Check-em-out:

http://www.diveoutpost.com/

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

I've stayed at the Outpost a number of times. It's just down the road from Peacock, Telford, Cow etc. and about 20 mins from Little River,  Ginnie is about an hours drive away.  The Outpost is really out "in the sticks".

Cathy makes a lovely bluebery pie and it's a real pleasure staying there, although people are put off because the water is "smelly".

Little River is currently closed for diving. Peacock is in a Florida State Park, so it closes at 7pm.  When Little River was open you could dive there all night and sleep during the day.  I've done this with the guy that used to work there.  He's move to Jupiter now (the town, not the planet)

I'd recommend the Outpost (if you don't mind being out in the sticks that is)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hey Bob,

Any chance of a Trip Report of your 'Spings' dive experiences? We read so much about them and see the cathedral-like pictures of the inner-caverns - it would be very worth-while to get a read from some one who has actually dived them and give us a heads-up??

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

I've also stayed at the Dive Outpost several times. The proprieter (Cathy Leish) is very welcoming and you can easily run up a large bill on the tab.  

The bunk rooms are basic but comfy with TV's/videos. Nitrox and O2 fill are available on site but Cave Excursions/Bill Rennekers at:

http://www.sidemount.com

down the road, nearer to the Luraville Country Store, is cheaper and also does trimix.  

Bill has some luxury trailers which sleep 4. You are really out in the sticks and mobile phone reception is iffy. The Luraville Country Store does hot butties and sells beer (except Sundays when the county is dry).  

There are also a couple of decent eateries in Mayo just down the road including a Mexican restaurant.  

High Springs is about 1/2 hr away - if you know the short cut avoiding Mayo where there are motels and more facilities. The atmosphere at the Dive Outpost is very nice and it can be a shock to get back to civilisation afterwards.

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 4:22 pm on Feb. 25, 2003)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts