YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#3BB9FF'>Can anyone tell me...I'm interested in, eventually, doing a cave dive. Do you have to be cave dive trained to do it?!

Thanks.

x x x

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Well, I guess you don't actually have to be trained but you would be mad not to..... seriously mad and probably with a short life expectancy.  

I did my cave diving training in Florida which was fantastic - do a web search on Peacock Springs and Ginnie Springs to get some idea. I thought it was fantastic and I would advise anyone to do it - it has benefited my normal diving techniques amazingly.

Gross generalisation (so flame-suit on) but caving in the UK and US seem to have come from two ends of the spectrum ie

UK - cavers putting scuba gear on to get further
US - scuba divers venturing into caves (or springs)

which has meant a difference in approaches, albiet with convergances (a bit like the 2 rugby codes - oops double-flame suit on).

You can get a taster for cave diving by doing cavern diving.

I am not sure I fancy some of the UK caving ie squeezing yourself through impossibly small holes in zero viz,  
 but the clear stuff in Florida is awesome (IMHO)

Simon

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

A suitable introduction might be a cavern diving course in Menorca. There are two divecentres that arrange these courses (with British instructors). Menorca is said to have some of the best cavern diving in the world.
http://www.crystalseas-scuba.com
http://www.salgardiving.com

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Dec. 31 2003,09:00)]Can anyone tell me...I'm interested in, eventually, doing a cave dive. Do you have to be cave dive trained to do it?!

Thanks.

x x x
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can anyone tell me...I'm interested in, eventually, doing a cave dive. Do you have to be cave dive trained to do it?!
Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes!!

Please do not consider venturing into any overhead environment without the proper training.  You (and I) don't want another sad statistic.

You can take a cavern or cave class here in UK or overseas.  Like Snash said, there really is a big difference between UK sump diving techniques and spring/cenote diving abroad.

If you want to do a cave dive, do it with an instructor during a class.

Bob

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Dec. 31 2003,10:45)]A suitable introduction might be a cavern diving course in Menorca. There are two divecentres that arrange these courses (with British instructors). Menorca is said to have some of the best cavern diving in the world.
http://www.crystalseas-scuba.com
http://www.salgardiving.com
Crystal seas went bust last over a year ago.  One of them then set up Blue water scuba who took me into some greqt caves last year.  check them out.blue water scuba

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Training - yes.

This was beautifully illustrated by a lad I did my AOW with, and a couple of dives after that, who had enormous tecchy aspirations. After reading an article about Farr world in 990 magazine he decided he'd go on a little expedition. Now please bear in mind that I have not seen him for about 1 year and that this story was referred to me through one of his other instructors - so it shoud be fairly accurate as she couldn't beleive it either after she was told straight from the horses mouth.

He, apparently, had his usual kit of win 7's back mounted to a custom divers tbk wing, dry suit etc and although the main shaft of the cave was lined was told NOT to go into the cave by the staff at the centre he had decided upon after doing an internet search as he had no buddy, there was nobody to take him and they thought he did not have enough experience for such an undertaking.

Well he decided to go around to the entrance of the cave and was met by a pair of divers exiting the water who also apparently enquired about his lack of buddy and told him not to go in, which he ignored. After going down the main line he picked up a second line into another shaft but kicked up so much crap that he lost his orientation AND that line by a long way. upon fnding the line again there was no way of knowing which was was furter in and which one was out - so he chose, and thankfully he chose the right way and left the water with 5 bar left in his manifolded 7's othrwise it could have been a sad day indeed for all concerned.

Kate, Do the training first.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Kate wtf. do you want to go in one of them dark holes for, there are however some nice big sea caves in Pembrokeshire with blow holes and lots of marine life nice guides to take you in and out SAFELY. Try giving my old mate Bruce Jones & his outher half Jen a shout at West Wales diving school he will help you but if you must try caving there is a bloke who runs a course in the Brecon Becons. but I can't remember his name at the moment .
however it can be found on Diver net.
But please please dont do any thing without proper training or equipment and lets have an accident free new 2004.  

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]there is a bloke who runs a course in the Brecon Becons. but I can't remember his name at the moment.
That'll be Martin Farr - thoroughly nice bloke

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

<font color='#3BB9FF'>Thankyou for all the feed back!!!

I'm not planning to do it yet, I want to get some more experiance first.

Thankyou again!!!

x x x

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Kate,

To  echo the posting that many people have already put on this site.... Don't do it without the training.

However, if you want to experience caves & caverns with relative 'safety', how about Estatit in North Eastern Spain ?

The Medas Islands are like a piece of swiss cheese, with holes everywhere and the good news is that they are big, wide, well lit (although a torch is useful) and are one way in, one way out type holes, so no danger of getting lost. The tunnels are more or less straight too, so if you get concerned about where you are, just look round and see bright blue water (in other words, the exit) right behind you ....  

Going in to a cave / cavern is a little different to normal dives, so it might not be for you, do it progressively and with the right training.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kate

I think the question of whether to do the course has been answered.

If you want to read a bit about it then the article in Diver on Wreck penetration brings up some of the basic points.

I am interested in doing some Cavern/cave/Overhead training too, but for that kind of diving it gets a bit more complicated in terms of skills and equipment required. You would probably be looking at redundant supplies and line laying techniques etc as part of the training and experience to acquire.

If you are interested in doing some introductory Cavern Diving (say the PADI spec) then you could consider joing the Malta trip as you can get the training there and I'm sure a couple of those attending would consider joining you for the course for a day or so.

Cheers

Conor

--------------------------------------
P.S. bring back nemo

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (louigi @ Jan. 01 2004,17:34)]bloke who runs a course in the Brecon Becons. but I can't remember his name at the moment
Martyn Farr is the man  Martyn Farr - Farr World in Crickhowell, Powys.

Martyn runs the TDI course all year round and really is a font of all knowledge regarding cave diving etc.  

A lot of the principles used within cave diving have uses in other aspects of diving within overhead environments Kate so you this could count as gaining more experience too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts