YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all cavers, i'm new to these forums, and new to cave diving,
i have not done any courses, yet as i cannot afford them,

but i love diving and have wanted to be a cave diver for ever, dont know why it appeals so much as all i hear people say is your mad and its extreme.

i would like to know where their are any cave diving groups around leicestershire, east midlands, that i can join?,
now it will be just to help out as surface cover, and first aid, moving stuff and general helper, i'm only 23 so am fit enough to help move all the kit around.

i would like to do this to meet cave divers and learn what goes on in organising and helping in cave dives, and maybe in a while i will be able to do a course or be mentored into it when i am ready with the right gear and some experience.

chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
cave diving

hi f1wade , welcome to yd , i am also just progressing in cave diving , sumps on 3ltr , planning the loop at Keld Head , yorkshire dales, a few others . Advice i have been given from one of the very famous cave divers i meet and fill air for is to get some experience on your own then go along to one of the cdg meetings chat with people there and you might get invited on an apprenticeship or just to carry bottles , i do suggest you get some srt/caving under your belt as a lot of carrying will be in awkward places with normally 15ltr cylinders , not a job for the faint hearted . good luck .

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Try contacting the secretary of the Derbyshire section of the CDG, Marcus Crabbe (aka Sheff Diver in this manor). They meet up in Castleton on an irregular basis.

Not many caving clubs in Leicester - Coventry Uni. are fairly active and also Nottingham Uni. Pity, 'cause I used to live in Loughborough and could have done with a willing sherpa.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Chris, saw your email this morning - was going to reply after checking my computer at home this evening - sure you emailed before. Will be in touch.

Marcus

·
Registered
233 Posts
hi f1wade , welcome to yd , i am also just progressing in cave diving , sumps on 3ltr , planning the loop at Keld Head , yorkshire dales, a few others . Advice i have been given from one of the very famous cave divers i meet and fill air for is to get some experience on your own then go along to one of the cdg meetings chat with people there and you might get invited on an apprenticeship or just to carry bottles , i do suggest you get some srt/caving under your belt as a lot of carrying will be in awkward places with normally 15ltr cylinders , not a job for the faint hearted . good luck .
I take it you have permission from the landowner to dive there then :angel:

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks marcus , i will do that . it will be some time though yet as i havnt got much spare time on my hans at mo. does the cdg have views on who goes in there , or are they still pushing it ? regards.

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Mainly about access

thanks marcus , i will do that . it will be some time though yet as i havnt got much spare time on my hans at mo. does the cdg have views on who goes in there , or are they still pushing it ? regards.
As long as you have the land owner's permission then I don't think anybody minds as long as you don't die. As regards to upshing it, the Marble Steps branch is currently (according to the last CDG NL) being pushed, this is something over 1 km from base so unless you have more experience than you are letting on I don't think it is an issue. Besides, Rupert is a big guy and I wouldn't want to fall out with him.

The CDG NL accepts reports from members and non members so wherever you do dive and find anything useful to report (like the state of lines etc.) then this information would be gratefully recieved. Contact details on the CDG website.

All caves are on someone's property and it is important to establish the correct access proceedure (even people just rock up and dive in). The CDG can advise on this. Even within the CDG some people have been able to negotiate personal access to sensitive sites through hard graft with a landowner, other sites are, err officially "off-limits" (but we know otherwise). I think everyone accepts this situation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Stirring ? Who moi ?? :D

I prefer not to stare down the wrong end of a farmer's 12 boare so it's worth while doing some homework before announcing on public forums that you are going to dive somewhere where access is sensitive.

What you up to at the wkend Marcus ? Andy tells me you have been perverted into a Cromhall dive on Sun? Does that mean I'm off the hook for going to 24 again then ? Viz may be poo anyway...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Stirring ? Who moi ?? :D
Like butter wouldn't melt.....!!!!!!! :zip:
What you up to at the wkend Marcus ? Andy tells me you have been perverted into a Cromhall dive on Sun? Does that mean I'm off the hook for going to 24 again then ? Viz may be poo anyway...
No.... I think you should go. Vis will be crap though when the hoards descend, as is likely. :rolleyes: Will be playing almost bubbleless - it's close and deep enough to drown in.:D

Marcus

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Vis will be crap though when the hoards descend, as is likely.
I shall not be making many bubbles either and have promised to stay out of the 22 inlet on Saturday so as not to spoil the vis. Dredger Westlake can do that...

I hope the vis is adequate as I bought a U/W camera in Lidl today*. GRJ and I were going to Stoke Lane tomorrow but I think we'd be diving all the way from the entrance.

* three actually, and a pair of fins. They had no wetsuits in my size.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I hope the vis is adequate as I bought a U/W camera in Lidl today*.

* three actually, ...........
Money to be made there........ Advertised on fleabay at the bargain "buy it now" price of £7.99 plus £3.50 postage. Was thinking to get to get one or two to trash through the arch in Bagshaw Resurgence, trying to get pics of the (almost) body size passage Taylor is pushing. Flow is clearing it reasonably quickly even in fairly low water conditions.

See you Saturday.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks like I'm taking John Taylor for a swim and a look round 20 instead. Apparently there will be 7 other divers in there on Sat - and none on Sunday !!! Something to do with apres party hangovers ? Duncan, keep your phone on tomorrow or let me know what the Stoke conditions are like. John Maneely was going to go in on Sat but he may need warning otherwise if it's flooding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Respect to you , Duncan . I see rupert quite often lately , but i was speaking with john C the other day and he has told me of a lot better places to get experience , safe diving to all . I am by no means thinking of doing anything like marble steps , maybe in future ... who knows . regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts