YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum but found this section and had to put a bit in about a place called Palinuro which is about 100 miles south of Naples.
I first found the place about 5 years ago and have to say it s stunning. There are about 50 caverns and caves that can be dived some are for the teckies others for your average diver, all are incredible.
The dive centre I use is run by a marine biologist who has been diving and mapping the caves and caverns for 25 years, I was only the second english diver to visit. My qualifications are BSAC Sports diver and that has allowed me to visit many of the larger cavers and even some more narrow caves, I would never go pot holing or for that matter caving out of water but the experience in this place is almost indescribable...but I will try. For instance take the 'snow cave' this is a large cavern or chamber off a larger cave and has a suphur spring discharge into it. You eter from beneath in sea water rising through the transference of salt and plain water where vision is blurred and colours distorted, then you emerge in crystaline waters as if floating in air above a lake, the experience is made surreal by the exhaust from your second stage dislodging a white bacteria that grow in the sulphur and drops like snow flakes from the ceiling. Another cave called the violet cave sees you enter at about 14 meters and swim through a large tube then ascend and emerge in a air bubble where the suphur has coloured the rocks stalamites and stalagtites a violet colour, just awesome!
The piece de resistance thought is the cathedral where again you can surface in lakes where the irredescent blue from outside illuminates and flouresces (however you spell that!) anyone interested needs to visit I Q Diving to get details...an experience not to miss!

G

·
Looks good. I worked not far from here for a while in the 90's before I started diving.

What is access like to the dive sites? Do you need a rib?

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several operators who will take you out to the sites, I have used one in particular who has been there 25+ years, he has written books etc on the sites, a real gent and helpful and as friendly as you will find. I have been taking groups out and am doing so this week and again at the beginning of September for all the info you need to either go independantly or arranged visit iqdiving.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts