YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are looking to go on a Red Sea live aboard in Jan/Feb with our Inspirations to dive shallower than 40m. So far emperor is coming up tops. But the cost of lime is steep - 11 euro per kg rather than the £3 or £4 per kilo it is here.
Is it possible to buy it here and get it shipped over in advance? Or do people just bite the bullet and pay the price out there?

Mike

·
one great big o'three fat bubble
209 Posts
Mike i am completely naive to rebreather diving. How much lime are you likely to use over the course of a week as i would imagine the postage will be sky high.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Don't know if it helps or not but there are a couple of suppliers of lime in Egypt. It might be worth a look on the Molecular Products website and see if the supplier can supply you locally.
Rumour has it that MP are opening a distribution office in Jebel Ali....very usefull for me and all those in the UAE.

Shipping 4 x 20kg drums to Oman would cost £180 and take three weeks. So that doubles the price our lime costs.....

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike i am completely naive to rebreather diving. How much lime are you likely to use over the course of a week as i would imagine the postage will be sky high.
About 12.5kg - and there are 2 of us so 25kg. It comes in 20k tubs.

Mike

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
Worth checking with MaryS - she paid excess luggage rather than buy it in Egypt in April.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shipping 4 x 20kg drums to Oman would cost £180 and take three weeks. So that doubles the price our lime costs.....

Ouch. The 3 weeks I can live with - order in advance - the shipping charge would make it pointless though.
For 2 of us the 25kg we would need would cost 275 Euro (about £250), or here in the UK about £70 or £80.

·
Team HPDW - 10/90 for the Boys
5,435 Posts
About 12.5kg - and there are 2 of us so 25kg. It comes in 20k tubs.

Mike
Chuck a tub in as checked luggage.
If flying with Easyjet pay £16 each way for one item of sports gear which will be an AP crate/gear gulper with your unit, drysuit, torch, anything else you can and make sure your scrubber is packed ready to dive.
That should cover you both easilly

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My bill for Sofnolime, O2, the wife's Nitrox, Drinks and T-Shirts came to less than €300

This was on Whirlwind in September.....

I looked into taking a tub with me but in the end I just didn't have the luggage allowance to do it and that was flying with Monarch and after buying excess baggage for both of us.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Sadly the reason it costs a lot is because it costs a lot to get it there.

I have taken a tub over there in luggage on a couple of occasions, without a problem. I've also bought lime there.

I find a tub would last me for a week, doing around 3 or 4 dives a day.

Janos

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Tony Backhurst provided a full tub for me to use but I only paid for what I used so there was no need to push scrubber limits etc as I knew there was plenty of sofnolime there waiting on the boat for me.

I know its an expensive way of doing it but knowing it would be there saved me a lot of stress trying to figure out how to take my own.

And as I said above in the end I just didn't have the weight allowance to take any with me.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like I can buy multiple sports bags from Monarch at £18.50 per 13kg. Two of those is enough for a tub of lime.

On the boat I'll be on lime is E30 a fill - about £11/kg. If I buy a new tub from APD and get two lots of 1 way sports allowance it will cost just short of £110 - or £5.50 a kg. Looks like I'll be buying excess luggage

Mike

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Pack the scrubbers before you go then take a 20kg barrel with you and pay the excess baggage. I have done it a few times without anu problems just a few raised eyebrows.

Down load the transit document from the AP manual.

ATB

Mark

·
15,343 Posts
PS: If your running temp sticks you will find you need a lot less lime. Its the one time those things are usefull.

ATB

Mark

·
15,343 Posts
Chasey the Sofnalime mule: make sure to double-up the condoms mate :D

Oh bloody hell I hate spell check :D

EDIT: Oi hang on youve done some editing :D Git

ATB

Mark

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It looks like I can buy multiple sports bags from Monarch at £18.50 per 13kg. Two of those is enough for a tub of lime.

On the boat I'll be on lime is E30 a fill - about £11/kg. If I buy a new tub from APD and get two lots of 1 way sports allowance it will cost just short of £110 - or £5.50 a kg. Looks like I'll be buying excess luggage

Mike
You may want to double check this as we flew out with Monarch in September and we wanted to do the same thing but when we phoned up to book the extra bags we were told in no uncertain terms that it was ONE extra sports bag per person and no more.

We were also told that you couldn't combine this extra bag so if you booked it for two people then each person had to show the extra bag.

Tbh I decided in the end it was cheaper to buy the lime out there than go through all the aggro of trying to take my own, if you read the Monarch website carefully you will see that if you get it slightly wrong they will then charge you the full amount for any weight over your original allowance not including any excess that you bought, effectively they will ignore the excess you bought and charge you £10 per Kilo for everything over the standard allowance............

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You may want to double check this as we flew out with Monarch in September and we wanted to do the same thing but when we phoned up to book the extra bags we were told in no uncertain terms that it was ONE extra sports bag per person and no more.
I'm stuffed if I can't buy two. With out lime my unit and suit in a crate is about 30kg and I've got 14kg of other stuff I want to take :-( Typically I can't speak to anyone today as they don't take charter calls out side of m-f 9-5 :(

M

1 - 20 of 34 Posts