YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK, I thought I'd post it in here as well as the personals in case any of you cavey types were playing in here.

I'm basically looking for the CDG manual "Cave Diving" which I managed to get a glimpse of, but didn't get a good read of Saturday.

Looks like a really useful book, with loads of important ideas in it, and I want a copy. Anyone got one they want to sell? Anyone know of a source for one? I'm prepared to pay going rate. I have no idea what going rate is, but there we go.

Do I hve to join to get my hands on one? I'd like to do a lot more reading on this before I go signing up for the full whack.

PM me if possible, e-mail or respond to this post.

Cheers.

Digs.

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Dec. 17 2003,12:48)]why don't you try al?
<font color='#8D38C9'>Al should have one as its a training requirement that you have The Good Book.

Dragon Caving Gear has some, so does Caving Supplies in Buxton.  You could rent my copy for the price of a few beers, a promise not to rip of the design of my sidemount harness any more and a sizeable deposit so that I might see it again...

It is however somewhat out of date and IMHO Farr's "Diving into Darkness" is more current and until the new edition of the CDG Manual - which is in preparation - comes out, probably a better choice.

Duncan

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Duncan, is it possible to borrow your short-term, while I'm reading up on the subject? I could do with just doing the background reading for these things.

I don't see Al that often, and it would probably be easier to pick it up/drop it off at yours. No problems about the deposit and beers, but I can't promise I'm not going to rip-off your sidemount harness any more!

I'm looking to get my hands on it for the end of January, I'm just trying to plan ahead. As for the few beers, if I'm buying, can I pick your brains somewhere near Nottingham over the next month or so? I'm working out a good way of doing this cave diving bit safely, and wanted to get an idea of what the CDG was about in the area, and who I could speak to to get involved. Can't hurt too much.

I've acted on your previous advice, and had a word with uni caving club, and had a quick beer with the president. Turns out it's very easy to get involved with them. Roll on Digger the Cave Diver!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've had a look at the Caving Supplies page, and I think I'll put it on the Xmas list. I'm sure an aunt or uncle is feeling generous!

A damned shame it's not in print really, as I got £21 of waterstone vouchers, and all waterstones seem to have is "neutral buoyancy" and "the last dive". Both of which I have!

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Dec. 18 2003,00:02)]Duncan, is it possible to borrow your short-term, while I'm reading up on the subject? etc.

A damned shame it's not in print really, as I got £21 of waterstone vouchers, and all waterstones seem to have is "neutral buoyancy" and "the last dive".
<font color='#8D38C9'>You can borrow mine if you cannot get one from Caving Supplies.  If you are serious about it, you will need a copy anyway though and although it is out of date in gear rigging, it is a mine of information on mixed gas stuff, DPV's etc. etc.  In fact its a complete "how to" on caving and cave diving.  No other book approaches it in breadth and depth.

Martyn Farr's book: Diving into Darkness is in print and Waterstones will be able to order you a copy.  You should have a quid left over which you can buy a copy of Vis with.

In the meantime go caving.

Duncan

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Superb. One copy ordered. They've only got one copy left at Caving Supplies. It is rather annoying to discover them now, as I was in Buxton only last weekend. Well, that's the way I suppose.

Should be here before Xmas. Nice present to myself.

Now, off to Waterstones, vouchers in hand. I wonder if I could use my pound to buy a coffee in the waterstones coffee shop? No, I've just realised I'd need a fiver for that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported post

Digger (and anyone else with a copy),

Just bear in mind that the good book 'Cave Diving' -the CDG manual - was written back in the early '90's! Although fairly 'advanced' at the time, new knowledge/ perceptions will have rendered some bits rather dated. The bits on surveying etc. are covered far better in the CDG manual than Martyn's recent book, but Martyn covers the bits on sidemounting better as it includes ideas dreamed of/ refined since 1990.

Any questions? Just fire 'em at Duncan or me. Between us we have probably got 40 years plus under our harnesses.

Cheers

Scoff

(CDG Northern Section - QD)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for the offer. I've got hold of Martyn's book, and I'm starting tonight. My dad, amusingly enough, bought me the book for Xmas, and has nicked off with it until Xmas day! To think, it'll be me paying when he's in a home, and this is the thanks I get...

In the meantime I'm planning a chat with the uni cavers, as they seem a reasonable bunch, and have access to a fair few dry sites for me to start training in properly. I think I'm going to do a lot of reading around it, and a bit more gentle diving in the right area before I go crazy with it, but it's certainly something that's getting more and more tempting.

There's that, and getting the knowledge to go further in that damned cave in Menorca than 2tanks!!!
He did it in good weather, it doesn't count.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts