YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my first centipede encounter of the year this morning. 5.30 am...going for a pee.....bloody thing walking down my hallway! He was a big one, maybe 4 inches long.

Cross my fingers - in 7 years I've never been bitten yet. Better check inside my wetsuit before I put it on for the first time this year! :teeth:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
So I had my first centipede encounter of the year this morning. 5.30 am...going for a pee.....bloody thing walking down my hallway! He was a big one, maybe 4 inches long.

Cross my fingers - in 7 years I've never been bitten yet. Better check inside my wetsuit before I put it on for the first time this year! :teeth:
Ughh. I hate those things. Nearly tripped up on what out in the wupwup on an Army Reserve Exercise once, mine was 10 inches long. The centipede was pretty impressive too but at least he wasn't in my house. Still, at least you won't have mice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ughh. I hate those things. Nearly tripped up on what out in the wupwup on an Army Reserve Exercise once, mine was 10 inches long. The centipede was pretty impressive too but at least he wasn't in my house. Still, at least you won't have mice.
Hmmm....that's very true......never saw a mouse or even a rat in Japan.

It's funny actually, because for a couple of nights I've actually been dreaming about centipedes (I don't like them either). It was a big one too......now I feel like I got it! (boiling water kills 'em dead and we always have a sort of water heater with water at 98C available to make tea from).

We probably get 5 or 6 a year inside the house. My wife got bitten in bed by a baby last year - that got quite exciting!!!

Really though what you need to watch here are a couple of bee/hornet type things. The Japanese are careful with the centipedes - but they're scared of the bees, especially one that is like an English bumble bee but slightly bigger and a light brown colour. That one makes EVERYONE pay close attention and no-one does anything else until it's gone.

·
Banned
52 Posts
centipede

Saw a long centipede about 4/5 inches in Taiwan about 3 years ago. Certainly I was lucky not to get bitten it was walking around in the shower room - eeeeeecccckkk.....
Luckily my partner at the time got rid of it without getting bitten and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Its a case of looking inside all items of clothing just to make sure :teeth:

Happy Diving
Sacha:angel:

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
I dreamt I had a cente crawling over my hand and woke with a start. The Mrs switched on the light checked the bed - nothing - my imagination she said.

Half an hour later all hell breaks loose when the little bugger stomps over her backside... lights on again - its coiled on the side of the bed - the Mrs gave it a headache with a broom, which was a bit harsh:frown:

Seen a girl bitten on the foot on Koh Sammet - not very nice!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
While we're on the subject of insects.........

We discovered a whole load of these on my car last night. It's very unusual to find them as babies - my wife hasn't ever seen them before:

Absolutely new born baby praying mantis....must have hatched yesterday somewhere in the garage roof.​

(this is quite a blown up picture....in reality they were all about 3 or 4 mm long.)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Heres a centipede thing on my balcony in Greece. No idea what type it was but was easily longer than my hand span and red in colour. It looked dangerous at any rate.

You can get some idea of scale in that photo by looking at the top - its the balcony ledge wide enough to put bottles and cans on with room to spare.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres a centipede thing on my balcony in Greece. No idea what type it was but was easily longer than my hand span and red in colour. It looked dangerous at any rate.

You can get some idea of scale in that photo by looking at the top - its the balcony ledge wide enough to put bottles and cans on with room to spare.
Yes...that looks like a centipede to me...... yuck!

·
Banned
9 Posts
Insects

Looking at that picture of the preying mantis - being a 'sad' teacher when I am not diving and having insects in the classroom - we keep stick insects which are part of same family and ours when hatched are about 1cm long.

having them in the class and in a glass cage is different to finding one looking at you on your bed, in the bath or on the balcony.

Sally :teeth:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts