YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi guys

Just going over stuff for my Canada trip and we have realised that there may be an "issue" with charging the torches.  They are UKD4R's and the cahrger is obvioulsy designed for 240V supply.

I believe Canada has 110V, therefore can I use the charger but it will take ages, buy a new charger (are they available) or do I need to buy a new torch or 3?

Anyone conquered this before?  Any advice gratefully taken

Cheers

Lou

_

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lou,
No problem! Dynamike has both 110 and 220 v outlets, according to my friend, Kent, who has been there twice and is going agian next year. In fact, Kent says Dynamike has everything – he has never been to such a well-wquipped divecentre. 220 volt current is otherwise uncommon in Canada but we were lucky enough to have a professional underwater photographer in our group, who took a transformer with him. It cost about £80, I believe. It was about the size of a brick and also about as heavy!!! He sold it to the first divecentre we stayed at when we left – they have lots of European visitors and had had problems with charging, so were glad to get the opportunity to buy a transformer.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Hmmm, e-mailed Mike and asked if he had 220V and he said he doesn't - only 110V.  So I need another solution.  It looks like a transformer is needed - any ideas??

There will be 3 torches to charge every night!

Lou

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Is it possible to replace the batteries, temporarily, with 'normal' ones e.g. Ever Ready or similar.

Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I asked Kent again and he says sorry, he must have been mistaken. His charger (for his camera strobes) evidently takes both 110 volts and 220 volts, so he didn't have any problem. He says you can buy a switchable 110/220 volt charger at any electric shop and they're not expensive. But, assuming that is correct (dangerous assumption!), I presume the plugs might not be the same. Could they be changed? It seems to be hard to change plugs on most appliances these days.
If you have American lamps (e.g. Underwater Kinetics) it might actually be easier to ask the UK agent to order American chargers from the States.
Of course, you could get a transformer and sell it to Mike when you leave. Then I wouldn't have any problem if I go next year  

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

You can get fairly small portable transformers from most electrical wholesalers - just make sure it can handle the load you are going to put on it.
You are correct that the plugs are different here; they are the parralel flat 2 pin variety - not the round 2 pins you get in europe or the square 3 pins in the uk.
You can get transformers that have built in adapters - these work great anywhere in the world.  If you are flying out through a big airport like heathrow or manchester then you should have no problem picking one up there as they cater for this.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

It wasn't THOSE plugs I was thinking of. You almost always need mains adapters overseas as few countries (except a couple of former British colonies) use the UK-type plugs and sockets. I meant the plug on the charger that fits into the socket on the torch. There seem to be a hundred different types and sizes of those. I have two rechargeable torches and also have the chargers from two more torches that I've lost and the plugs are all different!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

But wouldn't you use the charger, just plugged into the transformer? So the jackplug into the torch would be the same, and the transformer would adapt the mains plugs?

ps....don't know why more countries don't use UK style plugs, they seem far safer than any others I've come across!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Oh, God! Did I put it so badly? Nobody seems to understand what I meant

I was talking about a switchable 110/220 v charger, if you could buy one at your local electric shop, as Kent claims. The plug on that – the one that's supposed to fit into the socket on your torch – would probably not be right. Could it be changed?
Anyway, my number one tip is still to get an American charger, assuming you have a torch that's sold in the States.
PS The Swedish electrical safety authority wouldn't agree with you about UK plugs and sockets.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

We have plugs and sockets of the standard we do because we have twice the voltage running through it than in most countries!
If you were getting a new charger you could also buy a european 110 charger and get a travel adapter for the wall socket.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

Ahh, I see now, John!

Ok, so I just have to source a US or European charger for a UKD4R, any tips anyone?
I'll do a t'internet trawl and see what I find, but if anyone has bought one before can you let me know or it could be awfully darkkkkk

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Easy! The UK agent for Underwater Kinetics is Sea & Sea, tel 01803 663012, e-mail [email protected] If they don't have one in stock, they should be able to get you an American charger (NOT European – the current is 220 v throughout Europe).
By the way, it's a bit late to ask but have you read what it says on your charger? I just looked at mine (Green Force II torch) and it reads as follows:
"Input: 100-240V~/ 50-60 Hz / 400mA / 31W"
In other words, it works anywhere in the world (with a mains adapter, of course).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts