YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm curious about chamber dives because the dive centre I am webmaster for in Gran Canaria has just bought a new dive centre and it has its own deco chamber and is offering chamber dives to 40m. It started me thinking about why you would want to do one - is it just to find out how narced you get at that depth or is there another reason for doing one?

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

It's a generally accepted way of testing elements of task loading, physiological stuff etc without the danger of being underwater.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can ! No seriously,as Ammers says it is an interesting experience.If you get the chance to do a chamber dive to say 50m in a group it's really interesting.If I remember corectly we had to do a 50m chamber dive before we even got our feet wet when I did my HSE ticket.Some people can get very nervy,not just due to narc.but also due to the environment,by the time you're singing "Friggin in the riggin" a la Mickey Mouse you'll appreciate the disgusted looks of others as never before.It's well worth organising a trip even for experienced divers,Fort Bill do them at a price but the Police Chamber at Preston(Hutton)used to do them too.Do'nt know if it's still there though.Cheers,Hobby.

(Edited by Hobby at 1:21 pm on May 29, 2002)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Heads Up on 10:07 pm on May 27, 2002
I'm curious about chamber dives because the dive centre I am webmaster for in Gran Canaria has just bought a new dive centre and it has its own deco chamber and is offering chamber dives to 40m. It started me thinking about why you would want to do one - is it just to find out how narced you get at that depth or is there another reason for doing one?
<span =''>

You can do a chamber dive at Fort William for £40. They'll take you down to 50m and narc you out of your box (assuming you ask Mac nicely! ;) ) I think it's mainly so those that have no intention or wish of finding themselves at that depth can -

a) get narced in safety

b) say "I've dived to 50m" - which is technically true, dry but true.....

Just remember that with a chamber dive it can be more difficult to equalise than in water - anyone who (including Frog and myself) has used Kirby's can testify to that fact

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Using the Kirby is quite an experience, and a bit freaky.  We get wet, but head stays dry.  However,having warm water pumped round the suit all the time is lovely.  Do not upset Mac - I cursed him upside down and back again, and he did get his own back with a large hose pipe.  If you have the chance, go for it.  Life is not a dress rehersal.

(Edited by Frog at 4:36 pm on June 13, 2002)

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

I got the following link sent by Stuart Walker of the Hyperbaric Medicine Unit of Aberdeen Royal Infirmary's website - its got a GREAT virtual tour of the interior of the chamber.

http://www.hyperchamber.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts