YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Scottish Borders Council are planning to change the charging scheme currently operating at the car park at St. Abbs Harbour.

The details of the changes are outlined below, in a copy of an article taken from the Berwickshire News, the weekly local newspaper in the St. Abbs area.

Sounds like a change for the better to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
New parking charges for St. Abbs

PARKING arrangements at St. Abbs look set to change after councillors approved suggestions put forward by the village community council. Scottish Borders Council's parking attendants backed the community council's submission that charges at Harbour Car Park were not high enough at weekend, when the site was very busy, and too high during the week, The community council also felt the charging period, which is presently April to September 30, should be extended until October to reflect a longer diving season; Proposed new charges and time limits drawn up by the community council and traffic section staff were approved by councillors at the Berwickshire Area Committee in Duns on Thursday. Once the amendments are approved by Scottish Borders Council, a statutory consultation will begin.

Existing charges: 50p for up to 2 hours £5 for over two hours effective from Monday to Sunday, 10am-4pm from April to September 30 inclusive.

The proposed changes are as follows: 20p for up to 1 hour; 50p for up to 2 hours; £5 for up to 4 hours; £10 for over 4 hours effective Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 8am to 4pm and 20p for up to 1 hour; 40p for up to 2 hours; 60p for up to 3 hours;  80p for up to 4 hours; £1 for up to 5, hours; £1.20 for up to 6 hours effective Tuesday to Friday l0am to 4pm.

All proposed charges start April or Good Friday (whichever is earlier) and end October 31.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Why would that be a change for the better?
It looks as though divers/parkers will be charged more than previously, both at weekends and for a longer time i.e. through to October instead of Sept. Or have I mis-read it?

I am asking for your views rather than trying to be argumentative, will it not harm the number of divers that visit or do they park elsewhere, or get some sort of dispensation.

Rgds
Matt

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Seems to effectively mean reduced charges for the community at the expense of divers who will go there anyway. Seems the right thing for a community council to do to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

The beauty of the changes is that the profits made by the S.B.C. carpark are "ring fence", and are to be spent on the area around the harbour. It also means that the Harbour trust car park can change its charging scheme and hopefully increase its income.

However the changes should also encourage tourists to park and stay at the harbour for longer, when it is quiet during the week.

And the best part is I don't have to pay.  

G

·
Imported post

question for stabbs

so is that now £10 per day if we're there saturday and sunday or just £10 for the weekend?

i suppose one alternative is to drop your kit off at the carpark and park back up at the accomodation on the hill

wwd

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

StAbbs,

Would these changes affect the divers carpark currently run by the harbour master? (I guess that is the harbour trust car park)

Seems fair enough to encourage tourists to stay longer during the week but I would say that having to pay £10 per car for groups of divers would increase congestion in the village as people try to park away from the car park. Divers, by their nature do not like having to pay more than is necessary and will try to get as few cars parked in the car park as possible, leaving other cars elsewhere.

I would say also that effectively doubling the parking fees will keep most uni clubs and people going for an incidental dive away. In addition, it may possibly also severely affect the diving related buisnesses around the harbour - unless there will be reduced fees for people using the boats/accomodation.

I personally like diving St Abbs, I have done many shore dives (my avtar was taken in Abbs) and more recently boat dives from there. I would however think twice about organising a trip there in the future if the parking bill for the weekend is likely to exceed £100 for a group of 12-15 people. I am aware that the increased revenue might be spent in the area, things like improvements to the crumbling sea wall along the divers car park, putting a light bulb in the gents loo. However, this is assuming there is going to be increased revenue because if divers vote with their feet and dive elsewhere there may be a problem.

I am not having a go by making these points, I am slightly concerned that a great site like Abbs may become the reserve of those who can afford it rather than a site for everyone to enjoy.

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

i can see both sides to this argument but personally when diving at st abbs i always payed and displayed until the ever present warden arrived now if i cant park in the harbour masters area i either move to weasel loch with a three pounds charge with access to showers toilets and air or unload my kit and park at the top of the hill every body in my club is the same so we will now probably stay away at weekends

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Question, questions, questions. O.K. here come the answers.

1. The parking charge of £10 will be for one whole day, so it will cost you £20 for the weekend.

2. I would expect the charges to rise for the Car park run by the Harbourmaster, as the harbour needs the money to pay for much needed repairs to the piers.

3. Billy did advertise free parking however it was on land owned by the Harbour trust. Hence some difficulties between the harbourmaster and Billy.  However I don't expect that the change in charges will affect the businesses at the harbour, infact the lower charging rates should encourage tourists during the week. With the popularity of diving increasing, there will always be some people willing to spend their money.

4. The St. Abbs Harbour Trust is a seperate body from the Scottish Borders Council (S.B.C.). Funds raise in the S.B.C. are not spent on harbour, i.e. sea wall, pier. However they may replace the light blub in the toliets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]weasel loch with a three pounds charge with access to showers toilets and air or unload my kit and park at the top of the hill every body in my club is the same so we will now probably stay away at weekends
St. Abbs Harbour is often too busy at weekends, with Peter Gibson and Billy Heather usually being fully booked. Thus by discouraging parking during the weekend, and encouraging  parking between Tuesday to Thursday the load can be better spread through the week and along the coast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts