YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to change my regs from R390's to S600T's or X650's no reason just want a change

i dont like any other types of regs tried Apex and swapped it for a R395

any thoughts ?

Graham

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
No reason is a lousy reason Graham.

If the 390s are doing the job for you, why change at all?

Adrian

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No reason is a lousy reason Graham.

If the 390s are doing the job for you, why change at all?

Adrian
well ok i have been told they are better at depth than the R390's

Graham

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
You mean you just want to buy more kit pork boy

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Adrian,

he has a very good reason.............

He is a bloody kit whore lol :teeth:

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Graham

I use an S600 as my primary second stage and on one of my deco stage regs. I've not used an R395 but do use an R380 as a backup reg.

The S600 is orders of magnitude better than the R380. The breathing effort is barely noticable, it's that good. I wouldn't swap the backup reg though; you want something a lot less tuned and the R380/390/395 is perfect.

BUT - If the T in S600T stands for titanium, forget it as you shouldn't use titanium with a raised PO2; stick with the normal one.

Another option is a G500 if you can pick one up second hand. It's virtually the same reg as the S600; just not as shiney.

·
Full Face Convert!
203 Posts
Graham
BUT - If the T in S600T stands for titanium, forget it as you shouldn't use titanium with a raised PO2; stick with the normal one.
Hi,

I had this concern with mine when I started doing Nitrox diving and was told by J R Services that the only piece of Titanium on the S600 was the little faceplate on the purge button. As this isn't actually in contact with your air it isn't a problem. Then again, I could have been lied to!

Cheers, Paul K

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Graham

The S600...breathing effort is barely noticable, it's that good. I wouldn't swap the backup reg though; you want something a lot less tuned and the R380/390/395 is perfect.
Wot he said. Love the delivery of the S600. Works a treat. I have an R390 backup.

Hxxx

·
Registered
411 Posts
S500s are the same as S600 but without the ability to increase breathing resistance and breath exactly the same, the only advantage of being able to increase the breathing resistance is possibly to reduce the likelyhood of a freeflow.

Once you try the balanced 2nd stages there is no way you will go back to unbalanced, for deco regs the simplicty of the unbalanced r190, 290, 390 there is an argument for them in terms or reliability.

I cant understand why people invest in Mk25s and then put unbalanced 2nd stages on them, you will get far better performance from a Mk2 with a balanced 2nd stage.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
s600 it is then :)

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Kit whore:teeth:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts