YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
originally thought vista was pretty decent once you got rid of the annoying "your an idiot" settings, e.g do you really want to copy XYZ? do you know your are doing YXZ?

once I started to do more of my work on my laptop, I realised how rubbish vista is.

in short its soooo incompatible with every single software known to mankind that its pretty much useless.

hopefully find a cheap copy of XP somewhere and remove this ridiculous OS.

I think its close to impossible with the state vista is in to do any work which requires any other data analysis, work related software beyond MS office.

how the heck did MS release this I dont know, big pile of crap. glad i didnt pay for an upgrade but came standard with the laptop.

oh yeah most games dont work either :(

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
originally thought vista was pretty decent once you got rid of the annoying "your an idiot" settings, e.g do you really want to copy XYZ? do you know your are doing YXZ?

once I started to do more of my work on my laptop, I realised how rubbish vista is.

in short its soooo incompatible with every single software known to mankind that its pretty much useless.

hopefully find a cheap copy of XP somewhere and remove this ridiculous OS.

I think its close to impossible with the state vista is in to do any work which requires any other data analysis, work related software beyond MS office.

how the heck did MS release this I dont know, big pile of crap. glad i didnt pay for an upgrade but came standard with the laptop.

oh yeah most games dont work either :(
maybe xp and format strate over the top !!

a freind of mine has got vista on her laptop and i dont like it either ! although i think the general concensous is that its garbage ! so u not on ya own thinking its crap

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Ah yes, never upgrade your OS if you use anything other than the "standard" consumer applications until you know they work!

David

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Mines working well at the moment don't worry though i'm sure it won't be long until i scrap it and put xp on.

·
Still wet behind the ears ;)
266 Posts
Another disgruntled Vista (soon to be ex) user.

I've had a belly full of "are you sure you want to blah blah blah", and worst of all, I've got to pay £55 for a Serial pcb232 card to get my memo mouse to work with the dam thing whilst I can get the equivelant for xp for £5 on ebay.

ADIOS asta la " Vista":angry:

Irfon

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
I like mine, apart from it keeps reducing the windows to small size and those prompts are annoying the crap outta me. But have managed to hook it wirelessly to xbox 360 as a media centre

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Like all new operating systems Vista will have it's down sides until other software catches up or is designed to be compatible, otherwise we would still be on 3.1 or worse!

I'm not going to be a fool and try to convert everyone to it, nor would I encourage people to go and buy it as the system of preferance, but like all change, it takes time to get used to and iron out the bugs. I agree it was more cosmetic than functional, but the people using it for the first time, unlike us "oldies", will no doubt find it earier with it's "dumbed down" instructions. More experianced people will naturaly be more comfortable with xp, but I sell this stuff and heard exactly the same comments about xp when it came on the scene, the millenium crowd were reeling, and as for those on 98se - well, the nerve of Mr Gates!!!

My point is: It is nothing like the hype suggests, and does not have much more function than xp, I will even admit to not liking it myself, but it's the next MS development, to start trying to go back may seem helpfull just now, but sooner or later you will be dragged kicking and screaming into line as developers and companies support it, and not xp. :embarassed:

James

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I've got Vista on the server but not on the other pc's. As it's a server I don't use many other softwares. I'm ok with it. However on my desktop & laptop won't use it for a while until the dust setles down.
The latest office gets something to get used to it.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Also is the problem due to companies not updating their software rather MS. Surely they had time to solve the issues out. For example my laser printer 'OKI C5400' doesn' have the driver required for Vista, but it does for new ones. Are they pushing their sales? I reckon so.

Why the heck itunes havn't sorted their glitch I don't know.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts

·
Makes most sense when narked/drunk
331 Posts
I have a 12GB tape drive on my desktop (got it for free). I never had any issues running it under XP Pro...
Now with Vista Business, it sees the drive but in the Backup utility it isn't there! After some digging, I found an article on the MS website saying that Vista backups will not be able to use tape drives and thats the way they want it!

WTF???? :angry:

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Rats.
If it's that bad I'd better install it.
My customers tend to use windows and it's better I know the snags before they do.

I have a copy but I was postponing the idea as nobody had mentioned it yet...

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
Like all new operating systems Vista will have it's down sides until other software catches up or is designed to be compatible, otherwise we would still be on 3.1 or worse!

I'm not going to be a fool and try to convert everyone to it, nor would I encourage people to go and buy it as the system of preferance, but like all change, it takes time to get used to and iron out the bugs. I agree it was more cosmetic than functional, but the people using it for the first time, unlike us "oldies", will no doubt find it earier with it's "dumbed down" instructions. More experianced people will naturaly be more comfortable with xp, but I sell this stuff and heard exactly the same comments about xp when it came on the scene, the millenium crowd were reeling, and as for those on 98se - well, the nerve of Mr Gates!!!

My point is: It is nothing like the hype suggests, and does not have much more function than xp, I will even admit to not liking it myself, but it's the next MS development, to start trying to go back may seem helpfull just now, but sooner or later you will be dragged kicking and screaming into line as developers and companies support it, and not xp. :embarassed:

James
Speaking from a developer's point of view, W98/W98se were gladly welcomed. Windows Millenium was a total disaster but didn't really affect us as it was aimed at home users. Windows NT & 2000 was a huge step forwards - especially in terms of stability. XP (with sp2) has been the best yet. Very stable, and well supported.

Vista, on the the other hand looks like big trouble for the software industry. I am currently modifying our software for Vista compatibility. There's not to much to do, but the main problem is with 3rd-party components - i.e. bits of our product which we buy in from other software companies. Often it's these components which are not compatible so we have to wait on them.

It wasn't so much that moving from W98 to NT was so different in practice than moving from NT to XP - both involved changes. But then there was an obvious benefit - NT was a MUCH better platform than W98. This time, there doesn't seem to be any consumer benefit at all. Virtually ALL the changes are cosmetic, with the exception of a new security layer which is a) extraordinarily irritating, b) designed to restrict functionality, and c) won't protect you anyway.

Also is the problem due to companies not updating their software rather MS. Surely they had time to solve the issues out. For example my laser printer 'OKI C5400' doesn' have the driver required for Vista, but it does for new ones. Are they pushing their sales? I reckon so.
Could be, but see above.

Microsoft are definitely feeling the pressure, they've had to extend the period of support for XP. Also DELL made the decision to take Vista off some of their range and put XP back on. [You can even get Linux on a few DELLs now, if that's your thing.]

Why the heck itunes havn't sorted their glitch I don't know.
They have now.

Rats.
If it's that bad I'd better install it.
My customers tend to use windows and it's better I know the snags before they do.

I have a copy but I was postponing the idea as nobody had mentioned it yet...
I'd get that done quick...

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I've got it on my work laptop (came with it) and half my quoting software won't work yet, which just means I have to pass the work onto soomeone else to do ;)

I bought a laptop that came as standard with 512Mb and decided that I'd upgrade to 1Gb, I booted it up and there is a widget thing that shows the RAM and CPU usage and with nothing else running including antivirus/firewall etc it was using 55% of my 1gb RAM, how they dare sell any machine with 512mb RAM to run Vista is beyond me.

If I had a spare XP licence I would install it on that machine without hesitation.

Moving to Linux or Mac are not options as even various versions of windows aren't supported with some of the packages I have to use. I can't even use Office 97 or OpenOffice, It has to be Office XP or 2003.

Some features of Vista are nice, but they are not worth the upgrade.

Arfie

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Dont worry people, they are replacing vista in 2009 anyway, so you'll have all this to look forward to again!!

Cheers

Adam (Mac user :D)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
OS X - best operating system going... Stable, Virus free.... Plus Vista copied most of it, but got it wrong.
Which is justice really given 90% of OSX was someone elses work before apple got hold of it.

FWIW:- Vista working nicely on here. 2 apps i can think of that dont work but thats about it. A few months and driver support will be ok too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.