YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing my harness from the current Dive-Rite Deluxe (With one shoulder clip) to a one piece webbing set up for when i get back into the twins later this year, (PFO hole to be plugged first).

The adjustment on the Dive Rite is a pain in the rear, almost impossible for easy adjustment, where as a single webbing seems the way to go, less engineered and easier to make small adjustments.

Firstly whats the general consensus on this move, sensible or not, or am I not getting how to adjust the Dive Rite easily.

And secondly wheres the cheapest to buy either webbing or a webbing harness complete from, obviousley if it's plain webbing I can use all the DR hardware if not I have a harness to sell complete.

Cheers for any input.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
See the reply I posted there.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
if you put in a search for 50mm webbing on ebay, you'll get 10metre rolls for about £5 or £6. I was quite lucky last year. i got mine for under a fiver!

They do some very nice rainbow coloured stuff as well. Apparently it's this years diving-fashion 'must have' ;)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got my last lot from Woz the bloke is a knob ;) but the webbing is great.

I rigged it with one piece but with a looped break in like this http://diveweb.oneandoneis2.org/noclips.htm

Other than the break and an extra hip ring I rigged the harness in this fashion Webbing a Harness

HTH

Safe diving,
Steve

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
I made the transition from a Transpac II, to a transplate, to a deluxe harness and finally to a one-piece harness over a period of a year. For some reason I thought the OPH would be more restrictive .... too restrictive even.

It wasn't...if anything, more stable than the other choies. It took a little getting used to getting into and out of the OPH but it's a technique thing which clicked in the end. It's a good idea to get someone to help with the set up who knows what they are doing and can show you the best way to don & doff.

I thought DiveRite used to sell the webbing on it's own but I can't find it on their website ...the full OPH with hardware is part no BC1063 and costs £28.

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the replies in both threads, seems to confirm what I was thinking, so one peice it is.

No rush at the moment, but the webbing from Nik Naks looks like the best deal, any idea on it's length, I know it will be ample, just interested.

Cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cheers for the replies in both threads, seems to confirm what I was thinking, so one peice it is.

No rush at the moment, but the webbing from Nik Naks looks like the best deal, any idea on it's length, I know it will be ample, just interested.

Cheers
Anyone know where you can buy halcyon webbing....It just looks better:embarassed:

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
This is what I have - sorry, no idea of the length I just made it to size and when I was happy, cut the extra off. But I will say that it is really stiff - which is good. I would be happy to recommend it.

Just one point though...

The adjustment on the Dive Rite is a pain in the rear, almost impossible for easy adjustment, where as a single webbing seems the way to go, less engineered and easier to make small adjustments.
A one piece is really best to set up and leave alone, it isn't really the best at re-adjusting in my opinion. Saying that, I have my harness set for my dry suit, but have dived it in a semi dry with no adjustments. I do prefer it to have a bit of space though, some others - maybe yourself, like to feel the harness tightened well up. It's just a thought before you change to a one piece and then find it doesn't really do what you want it to.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
I've just done this myself.

Use the GasDiving plan and you won't go far wrong.
Webbing a Harness

Before

After

It takem minutes, honestly. I bought some of the webbing off E-bay and it was hopeless, The Drings pulled aling the webbing with very little effort which is what you don't want. A DIR instructor got the webbing for me and the rest is history.

I just need to get it wet now and start the adjustments :embarassed:So that'll be Saturday then :thumbsup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm finding adjusting the Dive Rite is just a pain as it is two peice so has tom much to move to make the changes, the one piece just looks so much more uncluttered and simple in it's set up.

Wish I'd started that way and saved a little cash.

No aspirations of joining the DIR brigade but the harness setup does seem the best way to go in this instance.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I briefly played with a diverite QR a few weeks ago and like others found it hard to adjust. You had to adjust both shoulder tops AND bottoms to get it right. As im playing with new kit im in the pool with a 3mm shortie and 2 days later in the sea with a drysuit and this requires adjusting. With the one piece i simply alter the left and right shoulder straps by changing the length of the waist belt - far quicker and easier than the DR-QR.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what i'm looking for, easy adjustment from a single point per a side, and easy adjustment on the chest D Rings.

The Dive Rite looked like a great idea when I bought it but on reflection having to adjust the top section and the bottom section every time I think about wanting to make a change is just a nightmare, that coupled with the D Rings never being anywhere near where i needed them.

But it's not all bad, it does at least mean I already have all the hardware and just require the webbing.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I had a student this weeknd with webbing which was far too soft - the D rings just slipped and the shoulders pulled tight whenever he moved.

The webbing I got from Woz last year was fine - as is Phil's. The soft stuff makes good crotch straps as it rubs on your dry suit less - but not much good for anything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts