YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

I've got a UK1200R torch which i have not used for some years due to moving home and loseing the batteries, they recently turned up in a black bag in the attic so i was well pleased!

I put them on charge for about a day them stuck them back in the torch, turned it on and .............nothing, not a sausage.

I'm not too clued up when it comes to batteries but i know someone here will be so..

I guess my questions are:

1)How can i test the batteries
2)How can i test the chargers
3)How can i test the bulb

apologies for the stooopid questions

paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

A multimeter can be used to test all of them.

Maplin do one for £9.99  M32669

I would suspect the batteries to be honest,  If they are marked NICD or NICAD they tend to have a problem if left discharged for too long.

The meter above will measure the voltage of the batteries and charger.  It can also measure the bulb continuity to make sure it has not blown.  (Does the filiment look intact in the bulb)?

Daz

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Filament on the bulb looks fine

Markings on the side of the battery read 'PHOENIX FNC 650 (6V 5A.H)'

Just did a quick google search but came up with nowt, thanks for the link, think i'm

gonna git me a battery thingy wotsit

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

What does the battery physically look like Paul?

Does it look like any of the ones here?   Batteries

If it is the same as one of these then I would buy a new one.  It could be a sealed lead acid and again these do not like being left discharged for long periods.

Any other clues on the charger.?

Daz

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>They (there are 2 of them) look like the grey one at the bottom (but they're black)

I'll go and dig one of the chargers out and have a look for clues

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Sounds like standard 6v lantern batteries, as found in many flashing amber lights on road works.

I am sure if you ask there are a few students around who have some sat in their wardrobes in Uni halls  

If they are SLA, and they do sound like it.  Then they are in all likelyhood knackered.

Daz

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Okay charger says

BATTERY CHARGER (no sh*t)
6V Gell Cell
Input 240V
Charge Max 18hrs
DO NOT FULLY DISCHARGE BATTERY
 Doh!
DO NOT USE ON OTHER BATTERIES

Paul

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Okay Daz final questions i promise then you can go back to posting about diving

When buying replacements is the 6V bit important or it what type of battery SLA, NiCad NiMh etc etc

Thanks again for your help

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

GEL cells are more expensive than SLA batteries and a bit more difficult to track down.

I'll see what I can find.

Daz

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Be interested if you can source the batteries somewhere else. Replacements can be sourced the price for the Underwater Kinetics( uk) packs are horrendous, not much short of the price of the torch.

Fingers crossed for ya

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Cheers for doing the legwork for me Mark.

Paul,

This looks like exactly what you want Gel type 996 Not cheap unfortunately.

Daz

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Bloody Hell thirty quid each!

Thanks for all your help, i'll have to decide if its worth buying them now

cheers

paul

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (arty93 @ Dec. 01 2003,20:16)]Markings on the side of the battery read 'PHOENIX FNC 650 (6V 5A.H)'
Paul

I have the 600R, and my battery recently died. Mine is sealed lead acid, 6V 5AH. part no 0309-S which appears to be available from Sealamp. I've just ordered one at £33.75 inc postage.

I originally had the 996 gel cell version. Sealamp advertise the leadacid as a replacement. This will be my second one, the first lasted about 8 years. You may need the charger adapter.

HTH

Adrian

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (arty93 @ Dec. 01 2003,21:31)]Okay Daz final questions i promise then you can go back to posting about diving

When buying replacements is the 6V bit important or it what type of battery SLA, NiCad NiMh etc etc

Thanks again for your help

Paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry missed this post of yours in the frantic posting that was going on.

The 6v is important or thereabouts....  i.e.  I would hazard a guess that 1v either way is not a huge problem.  Undervolted will just be a bit dimmer.  Overvolting will shorten the life of the bulb and increase the risk of it blowing when turned on.

Battery technology is not critical as such.  NiCad are ok but do suffer memory effects when being charged and discharged regularly.  I think they work best when discharged fully and recharged.

NIMH is fantastic, but expensive!!

SLA would seem to be a reasonable way to go, although be aware there is traditional SLA (Cheap and heavy)
There is also Gel SLA which sounds like the one you have got,  basically they are IIRC maintenance free, reduced risk of explosion and are not filled with liquid acid sloshing around all over.

Each type may require a different type of charger BTW.

Do you know what the rating on the bulb is?  It should be marked on the metal base part of the bulb, voltage and wattage is useful.  I just wonder whether the batteries are in series or parallel.  ie.  Is it 6v at 10ah or 12v at 5ah.?

In theory it might be possible to put together an alternate battery pack based on the correct voltage.  The amp hour rating can be adjusted to your requirements based on usage.

For instance if the burn time of the torch with 2x5ah batteries is 3 hours and you are happy for it to be 1.5 hours before a recharge, then 2x2.5ah batteries or 1x5ah battery would suffice.  The voltage is the important bit.

Daz

BTW,  You would probably find the non rechargable lantern batteries would work at about £3 each....  Rechargable is a more cost effective solution.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Imported post

If you are using a similar voltage and capacity of battery then your existing charger should be fine. As it is a slow charger (takes approx 15 hours) it charges at a slow rate which batteries are designed to be able to be charged at indefinetly.

It is the fast chargers (<6 hours in particular) which need to be designed for each battery type. These chargers have to recognise when a battery has become charged and switch to a trickly charge. If you use a type of battery for which they are not designed it may thing the battery is charged before it is resulting in an undercharged battery or worst case it will continue to charge the battery after it has become full which can damage the battery and seriously shorted its lifespan.

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for all you input guys,
I guess i need to decide if the torch is good enough to spend sixty odd quid on replacement batteries for,
or should i just buy a new torch, could i get a decent torch for sixty quid?

Paul

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Looking at what i can get for just af few quid more i'm very reluctant to buy some

new batteries for the old torch.

Anyone want buy a UK1200R???

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts