YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a great cheap LED torch off eBay. Well cheap. It flooded on the first dive. The seller wants me to return it to him for a replacement. What are the options for cheap carrige back?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
If you have the torch's packaging, try using their peeps, it will be cheapish. Otherwise, take it on the chin if it was 'well cheap' and buy local. By the time, if, you get a replacement that may or may not work you may have been better off buying another.....

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Have a look at Transglobal; ParcelBroker etc.

+1 for what Yahweh said.

·
Tell me again... Which way is up?
1,041 Posts
Perhaps you could complain to ebay that the goods were unfit for purpose and claim your money back, and if it was a uk seller who had it shipped out to you from China, send it back to the seller, it's then their problem getting it back to China.
Another reason to use your LDS.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Royal Mail is coming up best so far. £16 to return a £35 torch :-(

Not sure where I'd stand with ebay/paypal as his returns policy is refund on return.

I've had a load of cheap things form China in the past and never had a problem. Well one or two things have been defective but the seller had just put a new one in the post.

I got the torch on a recommendation but think it is a bad design. The body is much wider than it needs to be - wide enough to fit C cell batteries, and it has inserts to make the 18650 batteries fit.

I've not got a good track record with Chinese torches. After the first one (the YD nearly group buy one) that died after 50 dives I vowed only to buy quality. My tilly tec and tektite torches are rock solid and my solas 1200 should be unfloodable. But in the quest for a cheap helmet hout torch with high output and cheap rechargeable batteries I got a nice little trust fire unit (recommended on YD) and it is going well. I thought I'd supplement that with this one - not so well. So 2 out of 3 flooded.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Royal Mail is coming up best so far. £16 to return a £35 torch :-(

Not sure where I'd stand with ebay/paypal as his returns policy is refund on return.

I've had a load of cheap things form China in the past and never had a problem. Well one or two things have been defective but the seller had just put a new one in the post.

I got the torch on a recommendation but think it is a bad design. The body is much wider than it needs to be - wide enough to fit C cell batteries, and it has inserts to make the 18650 batteries fit.

I've not got a good track record with Chinese torches. After the first one (the YD nearly group buy one) that died after 50 dives I vowed only to buy quality. My tilly tec and tektite torches are rock solid and my solas 1200 should be unfloodable. But in the quest for a cheap helmet hout torch with high output and cheap rechargeable batteries I got a nice little trust fire unit (recommended on YD) and it is going well. I thought I'd supplement that with this one - not so well. So 2 out of 3 flooded.
"Refund on return" is probably only for the goods value and won't include the original P&P element? You should make sure of that because it may well make all the diff on deciding whether it's worth the effort of returning the item?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts