YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi People
I need your help with a good computer that I should buy to tide me over for a couple of years and see me through advanced NITROX diving.

I recently spent too much on gear that I didn't need half as much as I needed this computer (prioritising was never my speciality) and now funds are scarce!  Anyway I'd had my heart set on the "only computer you will ever need" VYTEC, but they seem to have gone up to about £350ish and I don't really want to be spending more than £100 at this stage.  in light of this I don't mind buying 2nd hand.

Any thoughts from you all on what I should get?  I thought maybe a 2nd hand Vyper or such like?  Never thought I'd be in the position to be deliberately buying a bit of gear that I know I'm going to replace, but I can't really help it at this point.

cheers y'all
Mat

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

Got my Vytec from Kent Diving for £265 at LIDS. When I paid for mine on Sunday afternoon, they were out of stock and i got it 3 days later. (P&Pfree) I'm sure if you ring them and quote this price they will honour it. As far as I can seethe next computer up the chain is the VR3, and this costs a few quid more!!
 Hope this helps

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Ralphy
If you want to do advanced Nitrox and wish to use a computer for the deco calculations then the Vyper is not the computer for you. I have a Vyper and because I want to use 'stronger' mixes of nitrox for deco I have paid for a Vytec.
I will still use the Vyper as a backup with tables. But haveing said that it is now a very expensive bottom timer

So dependant on what you want to do you pays your money, alternative is to just use tables of course.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Thanks chaps - gonna have to give this some thought by the looks of things!

Since the Yyper is a popular choice but doesn't handle the additional mixes, I may well be better off paying a few quid for something second hand and basic to use as a depth guage/timer and as a backup to good old tables!!

Cheers for that info on the Kent Diving price too.  If only I'd heard that a couple of weeks back before I went and ordered the rest of my stuff!.

thanks again
Mat

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I am not really a fan of computers, I dived for a couple of years without one, I think for most sport diving their unneccesary and find divers dependance on them mind boggling.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

My first nitrox computor was an Orca Pilot Nitrox, did me proud in Scapa and on may other dives. You can also change the battery yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts