YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just in case anyone is interested, just booked a week in Sharm from June 8th, staying Hilton Dreams and including 5 days diving with Emperor Divers - £733 for two

Booked through Crusader Travel - anyone want to join us?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Loved to John, but our hols are beginning the 16th June, so we'll be there after you! Top price though mate! I'll look em up.

Have you got a URL or a phone number for them???

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey John,

Looks like I got a result mate:

* Flying from Manchester (err...MAJOR result!),
* 15th June,
* Pick-up & Transfers to and from hotel
* 7 nts at the Oonas Dive Club Suites (B&B),
* Sea View,
* Oonas's boats carry a MAX of 12 divers (happy days - no 'diver-soup'!)
* 6 days diving included
* £575.00 per person
* (extras = £15 each for your Egyptian Visas and LE15 per person per day for nose-bag on the boat, Nitrox)

Saving me:

* Return Flights for two down to Gatwick
* Overnight in a hotel at Gatwick
* the norz of hanging around at O-Dark-30 in Gatwick on return and then getting back from Gatwick to Manchester (probably meaning another overnight in a hotel at Gatwick).

Happy Days!!

Anyone used Oonasdivers?? They any good? I've seen their videos and brochure and they look OK. Anyone want to comment?? Good OR Bad ??

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>someone at the pool on tuesday was raving about how good oonas divers are..but never used them myself
jules

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Yeah, I looked at Oonas - they were doing a very good deal on what you booked leaving on the 8th.

Couldn't pass up the 5* bargain though and I wanted to try Emperor Divers - heard lots of good things about them.  

Remember that the Thistlegorm will be an extra $110 - always worth doing if the currents aren't too strong.

Actually I quite fancied doing liveaboard in Marsa Alam but I'm going with my Dad and he's not up to the Brothers yet ;-)

Anyway, I'm sure we'll all have a fantastic time - 35 degrees, 28 in the water it's 3mm weather, woohoo!

Here are the links for future reference.

Dive safe and remember the first rule - always look good ;-)

www.crusadertravel.com
www.oonasdivers.com
www.regal-diving.co.uk

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey John,

I've used Empeoro Divers twice and yes, the do have their shit together regarding boats, food, dive guides and choice of sites visited. Oh, and meet at the 'Pirates Bar' across the road from their Rosetta Hotel-front hooch as well - it invariably turns into a session....err....sorry.....giggle

The way Oonas work is that if you use one of your normal diving days for the Thistlegorm trip, they charge you only $85, and not the full $110 - result!

Good luck mate, enjoy and dive safe.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Nortcliff @ June 06 2003,15:15)]Anyway, I'm sure we'll all have a fantastic time - 35 degrees, 28 in the water it's 3mm weather, woohoo!
Not so sure about that! We did have 28-29 degrees at the beginning of this week furthest south, at St John's Reef (almost Sudan), but around Marsa Alam and Elphinstone it was only 26. I doubt if it is more than 25 at Sharm just now. Most people wore 5 mm wetsuits. I wore a full 3 mm with an extra
3 mm jacket and was fine. A couple of people wore 3 mm full suits and said they were cold towards the end of the dives. In my opinion, you need a 5 mm wetsuit at this time of the year in the Red Sea. A 3 mm is adequate in September / early October, though.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I should be fine at 25 degrees in a 3mm.  Got cold in 21 degrees in my 3mm in Oz, but that was after two weeks in 29 degrees ;-)
The 5mm does down to about 13 degrees.  I've just relented anyway and picked up a drysuit for UK stuff.  Time for Rescue and DM this year I think.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Oonasdivers are doing £100 off their southern Red Sea dive villages now that the airport at Marsa Alam is open. If you don`t want to spend a week on board a boat then this is a good option. They also run day boats and RIBs to surrounding reefs. I`d love to go again, especially now you don`t have to endure the 4 hour trip down from Hurghada. Unfortunately, I have to go to Malta this year, and Sharm next Feb. Life can be a real bummer at times.

By the way, what wet suit to wear in the Red Sea in Feb ?

Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Steve,

Last time I was in Sharm in Feb, I was happy that I'd taken my 5mm O'Three semi-dry with me - although I didn't go as far as to take the 2mm shortie undersuit that completes the ensemble! I was toastie-warm for the gig and happy as pig in the proverbial - and I'm not one who feels the cold.

Just to give you a gauge, my oppo was diving in a 3mm shortie and on some of the dives he began to feel the cold pretty soon into the dive, and especially where thermoclimes are regular events, such as parts of Ras Mo and the Reefs of the Tiran Straits (Jackson, Woodhouse etc.)

HTH

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Bren

Thanks for the advice, a 5mm it will be. As I`m nearer to 50 than 40, I`ll take along my 2mm vest jus in case.

By the way, can you give me an idiots guide on how to but a nice photo of myself under my name on a posting

Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve,

I can't tell you (bit of a Luddite myself when it comes to this malarley), but there are rucks if folks on here who've now done it, and use a photo of themsleves for their Avatar as well.

Anyone here kind enough to advise me and Steve how to achieve the required??

Cheers in advance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts