YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, sodding Citroen Xsara Picasso leaking power steering fluid like nobody's business.

I need to get this thing liquid tight or I'm not going diving this weekend.

So, anyone deal with these things? I seem to have a circlip on the end of the reservoir which doesn't fit very well, and looks like that's where the leak is coming from.

Anyone who doesn't know toffee about cars or more importantly the power steering bit on this one, try and avoid laughing at my attempts to save some cash by buying a cheap car.

After £170 for an exhaust I'm starting to wonder how cheap Citroens really are.

Oh, and if anyone knows why the speedo doesn't work that would be nice. It went from working to not working very quickly, it's one of the digital ones but just reads 0 all the time now.

Oh, and repairs to a chipped windscreen would be nice too.

I could provide photos but if I get that close to teh car I think I'm goign to torch it and claim off the insurance. There's enough joy riders around here to make it believable...

Digs.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Oh, and if anyone knows why the speedo doesn't work that would be nice. It went from working to not working very quickly, it's one of the digital ones but just reads 0 all the time now.

Oh, and repairs to a chipped windscreen would be nice too.

I could provide photos but if I get that close to teh car I think I'm goign to torch it and claim off the insurance. There's enough joy riders around here to make it believable...

Digs.
Jack dear

I thought you were a bloke and all blokes new everything about cars :D

You could have a look in the handbook and see if the speedo has a fuse or something - what do I know

Chips in the windscreen - can probably be repaired by Autoglass or someone check your insurnace details. When they can to replace my windscreen he said don't worry we can "iron" that out. They fill it with something.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
After £170 for an exhaust I'm starting to wonder how cheap Citroens really are.

Peugeot 407SW (So same group - Groupe PSA);

Brake Disks and Pads, Basic Service and fix Windscreen Washers.

Sum total of £750 at the dealership - Barkers of Malton.

It'll be the last time I buy a bloody PSA car.

However, there are quite a few citroen forums out there - you could do worse than post a few questions on there? I know I got some help on a really good peugeot forum when I wanted to fit an iPod in my car.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Well....serves you right for choosing such a crap car :D

Now.....it is possible that your speedo might still be the cable type (with a cable from the gearbox up to the instrument cluster). Does the Odometer increment? If not then bound to be speedo cable. If it does then I haven't the foggiest!

As for the power steering leak.....it could be that there is a split in the hose near the circlip. You could try pulling the circlip back and wrapping PTFE over the hose followed by some electrical tape and a jubilee clip (don't go too tight or the plastic will crack).

AA? RAC? Green Flag? Biffa? :D

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the RAC, if I drive more than a quarter of a mile then they will come and look at it (no home cover) but will most likely tow it.

I have found where the leak is coming from, but I get the feeling there's something missing or broken.

The odo is still ticking over. As is the "Service Me" counter. I get the feeling these problems and the lack of being nice to it aren't unrelated.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Bantam, I have the same speedo problem. I've tried hitting it, speeding, driving very slowly, revving the crap out of it, kicking it, flooding it, crashing it a bit, you name it. I can't get it to work. Of course if I had an actual look at the speedo that might help.

Digs.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
digs, i bought summat similar 'cos the ex liked them. Big mistake, cost me over 2 grand in 2 years, and it was a 3 year old car. Torch it and buy a honda. As long as you keep the oil clean they are bullet proof, i've had loads and i've never broken one even doin 70, 000 miles a year. French cars are shite, never ever again.
If you were closer, i'd come and spanner it for you

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've just been reading about this fairly uncommon problem. Looks like a fun day at the office tomorrow. Early start to get it in the garage, hand over the cards, get in the road again and get diving!

I can't wait to have a car that works. Roll on buying the hearse.

Digs.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
... French cars are shite, ..
Well we've just bought our second 406. (Sorry Digs - going OT) I don't know how Bantam spent that much, our local Pug dealer is very reasonable. Service is €110. Had the brakes done at a little place in Huntingdon as we passed through - 120 quid. lasted 80,000Km

Bought the last car with 55K on it, sold it with 260K on it. Best car I've ever had. Period. Current one also faultless.

Citroën are a bit less reliable as best I know, never had one. Dealers seem to be the main issue with them.

Having owned a few I would say Ford are the biggest heap of shite in the car world. They run OK and are reliable enough but rattle and clunk like the mass-market repmobiles they are. Yuk.

Chris

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Well we've just bought our second 406. (Sorry Digs - going OT) I don't know how Bantam spent that much, our local Pug dealer is very reasonable. Service is €110. Had the brakes done at a little place in Huntingdon as we passed through - 120 quid. lasted 80,000Km

Bought the last car with 55K on it, sold it with 260K on it. Best car I've ever had. Period. Current one also faultless.

Citroën are a bit less reliable as best I know, never had one. Dealers seem to be the main issue with them.

Having owned a few I would say Ford are the biggest heap of shite in the car world. They run OK and are reliable enough but rattle and clunk like the mass-market repmobiles they are. Yuk.

Chris
I bought renault megane scenic, 3 years old and low mileage 1 owner. New discs and brakes all round over 500 quid. New boot release button thing, 250 quid, same fault on engine coil thing 3 times another 600 quid a few other bits and pieces but straw that broke the camels back was it needed a new drive shaft at 4 years old and 45000 miles cost of 750 quid. Renault can kiss my hairy yellow butt forever. And btw, i have owned lots of fords and never had much of a problem with any of them, not the best cars i have owned but streets ahead of the bloody renault. Jap cars are the safest bet, that's why so many asians drive them

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RIght, she's going in tomorrow to get looked at. I might make it to Capers by the time our heap of faff novices have signed in, had a coffee, and worked out which way round their tanks go. Then I'll rock up in the Citroen all sparkling and ready to go, and dive to my heart's content. Lovely.

Thanks for all the offers, advice and general pisstaking. Bloody citroen. I'm buying that hearse on ebay, looks like a bargain at less than £500. Never raced or rallied.

Digs.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts

Chris
chris - It is just so frustrating. I love driving my 407 as for a big car it handles like a go kart, goes like shit off a stick for a diesel, and my older 306 Estate is still going strong after 150,000 miles with very little having gone wrong with it.

I think they're cutting corners with the new cars at Peugeot :(

Things rattle, drop off and break way too much on the 407 for a 2 year old car with 72k on it.

So far it's had ;

3 sets of front wheel bearings (warranty)
2 ball joints (warranty)
replacement ABS system (warranty)
2 replacement window washer motors (warranty)
Umpteen software upgrades (including one to stop it randomly starting itself for no reason even with no key in)
blah blah blah the list goes on.

The rear wash wipe's broken now (siezed) and the glass boot lid used to open itself randomly until I disconnected the button and tie-wrapped the split partition boot lid shut.

I wish I could spend less on it, but it's so expensive to maintain :(

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
I think they're cutting corners with the new cars at Peugeot :(
Well that may be true. I am far too poor for new motors :D

I think Sean is right that the Japanese stuff is generally Ok, but I have seen (on t'telly) that Toyota have a big quality issue at the minute. Maybe they too are cutting corners and its a general thing with newer cars due to the price wars with Kia and Proton and stuff like that??

I'm back in the Uk in September and in the market for some cheap wheels. Looking at buying a Transit or Toyota Hiace for a while as we are doing my dad's old house up. Or a cheap diesel estate with a towbar.

Funnily enough I was chatting to a copper here and they (the lux-pigs) have stopped buying Pugs and now buy VAG (VW Passat mainly) as he said they had trouble with Pug. Ours was fine and Bro-in-law's Passat has been trouble....

Cars. Wank. All of 'em.

Chris

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Well that may be true. I am far too poor for new motors :D

I think Sean is right that the Japanese stuff is generally Ok, but I have seen (on t'telly) that Toyota have a big quality issue at the minute. Maybe they too are cutting corners and its a general thing with newer cars due to the price wars with Kia and Proton and stuff like that??

I'm back in the Uk in September and in the market for some cheap wheels. Looking at buying a Transit or Toyota Hiace for a while as we are doing my dad's old house up. Or a cheap diesel estate with a towbar.

Funnily enough I was chatting to a copper here and they (the lux-pigs) have stopped buying Pugs and now buy VAG (VW Passat mainly) as he said they had trouble with Pug. Ours was fine and Bro-in-law's Passat has been trouble....

Cars. Wank. All of 'em.

Chris
Can't argue with that, wouldn't have one if i could live without one. Better things to spend the shit loadsa money on:teeth:

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
F8cking French cars. All of 'em are shite. How can you trust a nation whose solution to an engineering problem is to take all August off, shrug, grunt and smoke a Gauloise.

I've had Peugeots and a citroen. They were all, without exception nor mitigating feature - crap.

Japanese or German (but not Merc) for me from now on thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts