YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been fiddling with my kit for a while and am not that happy with how hard it is to get to my manifold due to the first stage setup. So my question is where abouts can i get a cheap slob knob. Obviously the common ones are the CD's ones but they are tres expensive and was hoping for one a little cheaper than that, like a beaver for example?

Thanks,

Chris Middleton
aka student guy

ps
only in diving can you talk about knobs and beavers and not actually mean any sexual innuendos!!

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
Hi Chris,

I bought one on ebay a few months back and I've never used it, to be honest I don't think I ever will.

If your interested it's in good nick, I paid £60 for it.

Let me know if you're interested, I'm in Bournemouth so I could drop it over.

Jezza

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jezza, Sounds good am deffinately interested just need to wait till my next student loan comes through in a couple of weeks!

My Next question is why dont more people on twin sets dive with one?! surely it would make a shut down alot quicker if you dont have to reach behind and find the manifold then turn it off?! OR am i wrong?

Chris Middleton
aka student guy

·
Registered
989 Posts
Jezza, Sounds good am deffinately interested just need to wait till my next student loan comes through in a couple of weeks!

My Next question is why dont more people on twin sets dive with one?! surely it would make a shut down alot quicker if you dont have to reach behind and find the manifold then turn it off?! OR am i wrong?

Chris Middleton
aka student guy
Something else to fail.
Extra Cost

Dan

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My Next question is why dont more people on twin sets dive with one?!
It looks shit :D
surely it would make a shut down alot quicker if you dont have to reach behind and find the manifold then turn it off?! OR am i wrong?
With good training, and with necessity, you'll be amazed how quickly you can isolate :) If you have some form of physical limitation that prevents you from being able to reach your valves (as I once did, a quick op on the ol' spine sorted that out) then a slob knob would be the option. As has been said it's another potential failure point also.

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

Chris Middleton
aka student guy
Cause they are unnecessary for most people. (They may help people with shoulder injuries etc).

With a little practise and properly rigged kit you should be able to reach and shut down your valves easily in water. Remember you will need to be trimmed out out even slightly head down to make it easy. If you are vertical you may find that the set slips down your back and makes it more difficult.

next time you try to do a shut down drill try extending your arm straight in front and bending at the elbow then bringing your elbow to your ear rather than trying to get all the movement from your shoulder.

It's a skill that needs to be practiced. I could always do the manifold and right post, but had a mare with my left post, but it eventually fell into place.

So in essence, yes, you are wrong :)

PS, I'll show you on the boat tomorrow evening if it goes.

Alan

·
Registered
340 Posts
i use one on my twin 15s as they are two heavy to invert ( like i do with my tens) and they are that bit further away /back and yes i do have a slight karate injury on my rh shoulder

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Why not: extra expense, and I saw 4 of them in a pile in a friend's garage that had all rusted and seized up over just a couple of years!

Nothing wrong with them though in principle, I *believe* you can also turn the valve directly if the cable breaks / seizes and so you're just back to a normal valve if it failed so shouldn't be a big problem. Just check it works before the dive, keep it lubricated, and look after it very carefully!

Personally, I find it much cheaper and easier to spend the time adjusting the setup til I could reach the valves as they were.

Finally, one very very important thing to remember - to effectively use a manifolded twinset you need to be able to reach ALL THREE valves. If you can't reach the two pillar valves, then a slob knob on the isolator is only part of the solution. If you can't reach the pillar valves, you WILL lose half your gas if you have a freeflow, which is an unnecessary loss. Definitely worth considering!

David

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to effectively use a manifolded twinset you need to be able to reach ALL THREE valves. If you can't reach the two pillar valves, then a slob knob on the isolator is only part of the solution. If you can't reach the pillar valves, you WILL lose half your gas if you have a freeflow, which is an unnecessary loss. Definitely worth considering!
The main reason for getting one is to do with the height of my first stage. I use Atomic regs and its quite a high stage and as i really like it i refuse to downgrade the first stage, so when they are horizontal leaving my left and right posts free it some what gets in the way of my manifold, so this was just a way of getting round that.

Cheers,

Chris Middleton
aka student guy

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The main reason for getting one is to do with the height of my first stage.
Cool. Just thought it was worth mentioning as I know of a few people who use them to reach the isolator, but who still cannot reach either of the pillar valves and don't realise that it could be a problem. Although of course as long as they plan their gas and reserves based on that, then it needn't be a problem as such, just less efficient than it could otherwise be.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts