YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>

Anyone know a good source of getting hold of a 'chemical' type drum, like the ones shown in the above picture ?

I know a couple of people who use them for the sortage of (wet) dive kit and 'swear' by them. I'd like to get hold of one myself for the forthcoming season.  

Basically, they are big enough to take fins, suits, BCDs, Regs etc, don't look like dive bags and are sealable to make them waterproof.

I thought about contacting the makers, but wondered if anyone on here knew of any cheaper sources ? I doubt they would sell 'one' to me and there is the 'security' considerations. It would have to meet the floowing criteria :

1) Cheap

2) Unused, or at least cleaned .... Don't fancy my gear being eaten away by something unpleasant !

3) Somewhere reasonably close to the West Yorkshire area.

Just wondered if there was anyone in the trade / know out there ?

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I know it's not quite what you're after, but I've just come back from Homebase where I bought one of these plastic boxes for £15. Reasonably sturdy, won't leak will fit a whole set of gear (except tank
), and even has wheels. I bought this to replace a smaller one I've been using, which was great except for the fact that my fins didn't fit in it.

Tom

PS fins don't come with it, they're in the photo to show the size!

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The ones with lids are BDH barrels - British Drug Houses and are used to transport dangerous chemicals around which are inside in another container.  The other ones (taller with wee holes) are the best ones you can get.  Try to get them that have had orange juice in them from spain - smell nice and nothing nasty in them.  We use them both at the watersports centre where i used to work - the lid ones for kit and the sealed big ones for raft building.  I will dig out the number for the people who have them.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Jan. 02 2004,18:43)]The ones with lids are BDH barrels - British Drug Houses and are used to transport dangerous chemicals around which are inside in another container.  
<font color='#000080'>we used to have all our lego in one of these  

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Ad Hanny .

Why not nip down to the local hospital ,,,, chat up the most ugliest nurse while askingher nicely for a big crocodile box.....

Andy

ya be surprised at what the NHS give away

·
Registered
64 Posts
Imported post

I've got one spare in my garage (see photo 3rd from left) the metal clip rusted away several years ago. It takes my fins vertically with the rest of the gear. Its yours for £15 if you want it. (I use it now to soak the gear in after a sea dive). I am based in the West Midlands.
Alan

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

You want to be careful of that West Mids lot, hotbed of Al Qaeda they are.  When it all went off in 2001, they were arresting all sorts in Tipton.  
Don't even get me started on the FBI and Inspiration divers.  Large drums, chemicals for the storage of?  Echelon, here we come

·
Registered
75 Posts
Imported post

I have bought some of the bigger ones for building site waterbutts at Northern Drums, Shipley, 01274 597723, not sure if they keep the smaller ones. they are in yellow pages under eeerm   Drums  

Hope it helps
Happy New Year y'all

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>we use a nice watertight barrel for our compressors

They are ex chutney barrels.  

I'll dig out some info for you.

Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Got some piccies of the chutney barrel.
They are from our web site.
Seadart-equipment

I got half a dozen of these delivered to the workshop for around £35-£40
I think they came from a place in Lincs and I am based in South Northants.
Reckon that was a reasonable price.

If you need the e-mail address let me know and I will dig it out and post it.
I think they do different sizes as well.

HTH
Cheers
Bob.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Imported post

Rob
Are you calling me "Chemical Alan" ?
You infidel, may you will di(v)e at the gates of Netherton!

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts