YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

There's still some work to do, and it doesn't look flash, but its up and running!!

Still have galleries and trip reports to add. The 'Simon Fielding' link isn't up yet as I haven't set his site up.

Added a YD link though, so you may get some additional members!?

Any comments/suggestion let me 'ave em!!

Justin.

Chester Sub Aqua Club

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

Evening Justin,  I'm currently sitting on a new machine, just installed so I can do some work in our Leeds office so I don't have any plugins installed.  What that means is that I get one front page with a single link, and an index page with no links.

Now, I know enough about the web to realise that I'm missing the flash bits, so I'll go and get them and have a look 'round, but someone who doesn't recognise an empty flash container would be a bit stuck.  This is why the ergonomics experts recommend something called "graceful degradation", ie. it should still be basically useful without any add-ons.  

When you embed an object in a web page. you have a pair of tags to begin and end. <embed> and </embed>.  What is supposed to happen is that you put stuff between the two tags, if the browser gets the object then the bits in between are missed out, if it doesn't then the bits get shown.

What this means is that you can put normal links in, that will only show up if the user doesn't have flash so they can still use the site, they just don't get it in its full glory.

Have fun, I'll go get flash now...

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Jeez! You don't even think about things like that when you're using something like Dreamweaver to develop a site!! You just take advantage of the built in features and assume everyone has the necessary to view it... I'll have to have a look into it, in the meantime I'll sick a note on the front page telling people it's flash enabled. If need be I'll do a non-flash index page too...

Ah well, back to the drawing board! I did put a YD link in though!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Justin

Have put a link to your site.
from Seadarts links page.
Could you return the favour?
Cheers
Bob

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

No probs Bob, off to Anglesey shortly to watch "The Qualified Divers" launch the club ribs for a dive (not that i'm bitter or anything!), I have to find the coastguard station too as i'm the "body in the water" tomorrow for diver rescue training - seems us trainees are useful after all!!

Anyway, I'll get the link put up tonight while i'm adding a non-flash index page.

Justin.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Just a minor typo, but on the YD link, 'independent' does not have an 'a' in it.

Other than that, looking good and coming along nicely mate.

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Cheers Bren, did you proof read the whole site or just the link?  
 Will save me a job later!!

You probably don't want to hear this but just got back from Anglesey, you guys were so unlucky with the weather, been gorgeous today and the sea calm as anything... have pictures but don't want to p1ss you off anymore than you probably already are!!

Later...

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Told you so!

Oh, it worked!

We need more emoticons!
Especially spank & Monkey!

P.S. Well done Justin- That's the way with the web... just have a go and your M8's will sort the gremlins for U!

( I hope you voted for me to keep my balls!)

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

OK then, Bob's Seadart link added, YD link now has an E instead of an A.

Balls were voted for AND I've risked the wrath of last weeks Anglesey crowd by sticking a pic of Treaddur bay in the Anglesey II post in planned trips...

Later chaps!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>cheers Justin M8
Have a nice one to-morrow.
Think the weather is going to be OK
Bob

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>                           

I was going to say reciprocate but didn't know how to spell it

come to that I can't say it properly either.

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I just guessed!
If you get it wrong someone's bound to be quick to correct you.... Why do you spell "favour" like a Yank?

ATB, Bob,
                     Terry

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>                         

just checked the dictionary on my word doc I sometimes use it to write postings and yes it's set at English US.
Still we have to support the Americans. as they are about to save us again.

God bless America and I support the Fifth Amendment   [whatever It means]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts