YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one the the torches of dealxtream ages ago and so did my buddy. I managed to flood mine before my buddy got his so he has never taken it in the water. He is now keen to dive with it - what mods are needed to stop it flooding?

It is just a case of making sure the bezel is tight? Is there a spring that needs to be trimmed? Does he need to do both, or something different as well?

Tips appreciated

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
472 Posts
This has been done to death, and I'd normally just say - look at the relevant threads. However, those threads are now so long that it would take you a couple of days to plough through them. So here's a quick summary:

1. Unscrew the bezel and take out the glass. Make sure the large O-ring is clean and there's no swarf etc floating around in there. Put some thread-lock on the bezel and screw it back on extremely tightly - wear marigolds to give you extra strong grip.

2. Clean and grease the circumferential o-rings at the other end of the torch - the bit you unscrew to get your batteries out.

3. You could also unscrew the joint under the rotating selector ring and add thread-lock. Personally, I've never bothered - I think it's thread-locked at the factory. Up to you.

4. It was only the early models that needed to have the spring shortened. The current crop have been redesigned. You can't get the reflector assembly out of the torch head any more, so you can't get at that spring.

There are loads of these torches in my club. None have flooded, apart from my first one, when the bezel unscrewed. That's why I threadlock them now.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Something to be aware of if you carry out step 1 of Mike's list. The reflector assembly may turn in the housing as you tighten, causing the indicator dot on the control ring to no longer match up to the power setting (Standby, full, mid low). It took me several goes on my early model P7 torch before it all lined up properly.

May be different now if, as Mike says, the reflector assembly doesn't come out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quick question, I've got one of these and had some leakage into it recently. Washed everything out in fresh water straight away, thought the batteries were knackered. The torch has now taken to being very, very temperamental. It seems to work if the reflector assembly is lined up just right, but tightening the bezel on the head can screw this up and it seems moving the batteries can have the same effect. What's a likely cause of this? There seems to be some discolouration on the metal of the reflector assembly (the metal connection plate bit, the brass and a couple of rust spots on the reflective part) as well as the shiny part of the inside of the torch. I'm guessing this is causing the finnickiness of the connection forming? If so what would be the best thing to clean it off (since wire wool is pretty much impossible to get at it with accurately to scrape it off) If it's not that what other possibilities are there?

Like I said it still more or less works but it involves 10 minutes of fiddling with any time I want to change the batteries and I'm really hoping it doesn't flood again. Considering the reason for the leak was (probably) the bezel loosening underwater I also don't want to be worrying about tightening it underwater and having my torch die because the reflector assembly got nudged. Any help is really appreciated.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Quick question, I've got one of these and had some leakage into it recently. Washed everything out in fresh water straight away, thought the batteries were knackered. The torch has now taken to being very, very temperamental. It seems to work if the reflector assembly is lined up just right, but tightening the bezel on the head can screw this up and it seems moving the batteries can have the same effect. What's a likely cause of this? There seems to be some discolouration on the metal of the reflector assembly (the metal connection plate bit, the brass and a couple of rust spots on the reflective part) as well as the shiny part of the inside of the torch. I'm guessing this is causing the finnickiness of the connection forming? If so what would be the best thing to clean it off (since wire wool is pretty much impossible to get at it with accurately to scrape it off) If it's not that what other possibilities are there?

Like I said it still more or less works but it involves 10 minutes of fiddling with any time I want to change the batteries and I'm really hoping it doesn't flood again. Considering the reason for the leak was (probably) the bezel loosening underwater I also don't want to be worrying about tightening it underwater and having my torch die because the reflector assembly got nudged. Any help is really appreciated.
I lent mine to someone and it came back 2 days later flooded. Two days full of salt water knackered the batteries and left the torch sounding like yours.

I just gave it a good long soak in warm soapy water, then once dry, gave it a drenching with WD40 and wiped it clean. A fresh set of batteries, and it worked fine. The staining one the reflector doesn't seem to have had a detrimental affect on the beam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts