YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello pals,
I`ve just got back from diving the Chris Christiansen at the Farne Islands today, those of you that know the wreck will know that its pretty flat apart from the boilers crank and prop. We began by avoiding the shot as we soon realised that a good ten numptys were rapidly pulling it under. My buddy Craigy (of time team fame for those who know him) was immediately attacked by a young, but very large, seal who pulled on his fins and then shadowed him for the whole dive.
Nothing special I hear you type but wait for this, due to strong SE (offshore) winds the vis was 15-20M (really) and was better than the vis on the thistlegorm last time I dived her.
Its truly awe inspiring when you get this vis in the UK and more than makes up for all those blown out weekends and rough crossings that we put up with in the name of UK diving.
So listen up all you warm water only divers and kiss my a*se ring (where I keep my reel)
UK diving forever
Ken.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Yup, had about 10m of vis there in Aug and a cracking dive with the seals joining us at 32m and more gathering as we got shallower.

Not a lot of wreck but an excellant dive.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
Farnes

Hey Dude
I was there today also on the same site this morning (whose boat were you on? We were with William Shiels) and you're dead right the viz was great and possibly the best I've ever experienced there.
Me and my buddy "Geordie Mick Borlace" were watching some geezers photoing some seals when I was approached by an inquisitive one and the obligatory nibbling at my fins took place. It didn't stop there though, this seal took a liking to my torch and had a go at mouthing it also.
After about 5 attempts to put some good teeth marks through my torches neoprene cover (I have a Kowalski 620 speed), I decided enough was enough and gave it a little nudge on the snout with the torch. I hasten to say that it eventually went away (although it kept us in it's sight till we surfaced).
It was quite choppy though on the surface after the dive.
Hope yours was as good as ours.
Had a good second dive feeding some wrass on St Andre wreck.

"3 cheers for the Farnes!"

Gram43 :dog:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spot on Gram, we were on wavedancer1, couldn`t do enough to keep the seals close to us. Also plenty of good fish and some brass on the wreck.

It really was as good as it gets in the UK, awesome.
And Porg we must meet up sometime, I hear you know John Mitchell.......

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Chris Christensen & Farne Dives

Hi Guys

I'm pleased that you all enjoyed the Christensen and first class viz, etc. Those days when it is like the Med don't come too often, although the Farnes usually gets reasonable visibility, compared to a little further south and closer inshore. However, there is a problem with most of the hard boats from Seahouses, which take groups of divers out. If you went up there every weekend all the year round, you'll visit the same 3 - 4 dive sites, to suit the boat's skipper and not the divers who are paying for the trip? Most of the skippers haven't a clue what it's like underwater and don't really care, so long as they're getting paid. It's fair to say that the sea conditions and weather has a say in the matter, but there are many dozens of far better dive-sites, than the places the Seahouses boats take you to, weekend after weekend, especially boats normally used as trip-boats; Billy Shiels included.

Of course if you just like diving and snorkelling with seals, then they're okay, but even then there other places to dive with the seals with a change of scenery?

Find a skipper who also dives and discuss the places to go to with him, before you set off.

Cheers Ron

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Ron Young said:
Hi Guys

I'm pleased that you all enjoyed the Christensen and first class viz, etc. Those days when it is like the Med don't come too often, although the Farnes usually gets reasonable visibility, compared to a little further south and closer inshore. However, there is a problem with most of the hard boats from Seahouses, which take groups of divers out. If you went up there every weekend all the year round, you'll visit the same 3 - 4 dive sites, to suit the boat's skipper and not the divers who are paying for the trip? Most of the skippers haven't a clue what it's like underwater and don't really care, so long as they're getting paid. It's fair to say that the sea conditions and weather has a say in the matter, but there are many dozens of far better dive-sites, than the places the Seahouses boats take you to, weekend after weekend, especially boats normally used as trip-boats; Billy Shiels included.

Of course if you just like diving and snorkelling with seals, then they're okay, but even then there other places to dive with the seals with a change of scenery?

Find a skipper who also dives and discuss the places to go to with him, before you set off.

Cheers Ron
Any reccomendations Ron? I really would like to do the Aclivity on the farnes gig next summer - it is seldom dived from seahouses due to the long steam time, but i have been lucky to do it from a rib a couple of times.

·
666 Posts
Farnes skippers

Porg

There are a few dedicated charter skippers who will take you where you want providing you talk to them first and explain the situation, but usually you'd have to have a party of divers booking the trip. i.e. Sovereign Diving, Wave Dancer (Colin Rutter) and Stan Hall are all good. However I can really recommend Graeme Harrison, who is also a dedicated diver: http://www.farne-islands-diving.com/ He takes ten minutes to the islands from Beadnell in a BIG RIB with a cabin on too. He'll also take you to where YOU want to dive. not where it's convenient for him.

Many of the other charter boat skippers are ex trip-boat and ex fishermen who, until they found divers were a lucrative business, hated divers.

Cheers Ron

·
666 Posts
Around the Farnes area

Porg,
Here are some of the other wrecks to be found around the Beadnell - Farnes area:
Depends what depth you want of course, because some are quite deep?
MT Acclivity
MV Buka
SS Gaelic/Hogarth
SS Nidelven
SS Igor
HMS Patia
SS Storfors
SS Lunsdale
Trawler Isabella Fowlie
Trawler African prince
SS Baltanglia
HMT Kopanes
SS Peik
SS Tioga
HMS Ascot
MT Athelduke
U 1274
SS James Harris
SS Assuan
SS Auckland Castle
To name a few?

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Farnes Diving

Ron, I've always found Lee Hall of Farne Diving Services to be very accommodating with regards to where he will go, at least with an experienced group. We've been diving regularly with them for 16 years. His knowledge of the dive sites should improve since he's just started diving himself.

Allan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Around the Farnes area

Porg,
Here are some of the other wrecks to be found around the Beadnell - Farnes area:
MT Acclivity
MV Buka
SS Gaelic/Hogarth
SS Nidelven
SS Igor
HMS Patia
SS Storfors
SS Lunsdale
Trawler Isabella Fowlie
Trawler African prince
SS Baltanglia
HMT Kopanes
SS Peik
SS Tioga
HMS Ascot
MT Athelduke
U 1274
SS James Harris
SS Assuan
SS Auckland Castle
To name a few?

Cheers Ron
Around the Farnes area

Porg,
MT Acclivity
MV Buka
SS Gaelic/Hogarth
SS Nidelven
SS Igor
HMS Patia
SS Storfors
SS Lunsdale
Trawler Isabella Fowlie
Trawler African prince
SS Baltanglia
HMT Kopanes
SS Peik
SS Tioga
HMS Ascot
MT Athelduke
U 1274
SS James Harris
SS Assuan
SS Auckland Castle
To name a few?

Cheers Ron
Hi Ron. You mention SS James Harris wreck. Have you dived this particular wreck? I'm particularly interested as my GG Grandfather sailed on her and lost his life when the ship sank in April 1881 (collison with The Andulucia in fog). Grateful for any response.

thanks

Ger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts