YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi

A diver friend has been put on Citalopram, and told to take one 40mg tablet once a day, had a quick scour around the net and can't see anything saying you can't dive on this medication.

Anyone had any experience with this medication and diving ?

Regards
Andy ( ancl )

·
The Artist known formerly as 'ScubaRGN2'
386 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Andy found this site thought it may be of interest its about half the page down under panic dissorders.

http://www.scuba-doc.com/psych.htm

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Andy

Citalopram is used for depression, starting with 20mg daily and going up to 60mg daily, and for panic attacks, starting at 10mg and going up to 60mg daily, so a starting dose of 40mg is fairly, but not uncommonly, high. If he's just started taking the medicine he ought to check which side effects if any he's getting, as these might affect his diving or be mistaken for a diving related condition. The common side effects are nausea, sweating, tremor, drowsiness and dry mouth.

I can't find any record of this but I'm sure I read at one point that anti-depressants increase the risk of getting narked, so I'd keep a close watch on your friend if going to any serious depths.

Hope that helps.

Ian

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

DAN has info on antidepressants

This is from another DAN article:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Celexa / Citalopram

Celexa is used to treat depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Possible side effects adverse to diving:

Anxiety / restlessness: This will usually go away with continued use.
Drowsiness / dizziness: Avoid driving or working with dangerous machinery until the effect of this medication is known.
Bruising / bleeding: Use of Celexa can slightly increase risk of bruising and bleeding, but this can be significant when aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g., naproxen, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, flurbiprofen, diclofenac, sulfasalazine, sulindac, oxaprozin, salsalate, piroxicam, indomethacin, etodolac) are also taken. Barotrauma to sinuses, ears and lungs may cause significant hemorrhage because of this tendency for bruising and bleeding.
Dom

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Thanks for the information, can't officially post to YD at work, so just sitting back waiting for my access to be revoked after posting this....

Cheers
Andy ( ancl )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts