YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Having just completed my first 4 open water sea dives (no not yet qualified) after the last one i noticed my regs seem to have sand in them - purge button sort of grinds on pushing it in and so on.

Is there an easy way to clean these without breaking them?  Does the front unscrew or anything?  Ive tried the usual soaking and so on but that only seems to clean the outside.

Apologies if its been asked before, couldnt find anything obvious with search.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Unscrew the front of the reg.  This will probably be quite hard at first.  Take out the round frame then the diaphragm.  Flush through with clean water and put back together.  This should cure it.

Don't fasten it back up as tight as Apeks like to!!!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

STOP!!! If you rinse the regs whilst pressing the purge button, you open the thing up for water to get in. Unless, of course, you mean while it's on a tank, but I don't think that's a practical solution to this one. Water + metal parts = trouble. If water gets into the workings of regs, you're going to knacker them unless it's cleaned out well, usually by a service technician at some cost.

I'd get a pair of washing-up gloves, as they give you loads of grip, and unscrew the face of the reg (the side witht the purge button in it). Then you should have a cover and under that a diaphragm. Once you've taken the diaphragm off, you should be able to get at all the workings, as well as being able to get at the back of the face-plate esaily, and clean out all that sand.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

i'll try and unscrew - i thought about it before but was unable to shift it and assumed that meant the front wasnt actually supposed to come off.

There is some sand inside, pressing the purge you can feel it grinding slightly so id like to scrape it out before it jams totally.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You might like to take a look at My Webpage, which shows an Apeks DV being taken apart bit by bit...

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ April 16 2003,17:18)]I'd get a pair of washing-up gloves, as they give you loads of grip,
<font color='#000080'>You big perv Digger,  

Pair of Marigolds, enough said...  Don't you think you are taking this DIY a bit far  

Daz

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Dom, what a great webpage!

It seems so simple - can't believe I haven't played sooner!  Of course, the next trick is to service them too...Let me know when you've finished!!!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK I am not advising anyone goes full on into servicing their own regs,  but it should not be beyond just about anyone to perform basic maintenance on a 2nd stage.  ie, opening, removing diaphragm and rinsing the front cover off the reg, incuding freeing up a sticking purge.

It ain't rocket science as Dom's page demonstrates.

One word of advice,  the front cover does not need to be screwed on so tight that it takes a gorilla on steroids and a vice to remove.  

Daz

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

DIY can't go too far. It's a holistic dive system, or something like. You're either all or nothing. Stroke - I will.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts