YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused.

Over the last few days, there have been a couple of 'contentious' threads. Each of them started in a genuine manner from the OP, but due to differing views, one became little more than a slanging match, the other, whilst not particularly constructive, didn't seem quite as offensive.

One of these threads has been closed, one has been deleted. The closed one, it is easy to understand what lead up to the closure. The posters on the deleted thread don't have the same priviledge. For example, an early poster can't return to see what else was said, reputation given in a deleted thread disappears, but not in a closed thread.

I am not questioning the Mods right/job to close or delete threads as they see fit, but what criteria is used? Does it depend on reported posts? Does it depend on which Mod a post is reported to? Doe it make a difference if the OP asks for a thread to be closed or deleted?

Sorry... many questions, I don't really have a problem, I jsut like to know what happens.
:)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Scubee,

speaking for myself if a person asks that their thread be deleted, and the thread is really adding nothing other than tit for tat posts then I will delete it.

As a mod you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, but I will always try and do what I consider the right thing, and deleting the thread was the right thing to do.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I am a little confused.

Over the last few days, there have been a couple of 'contentious' threads. Each of them started in a genuine manner from the OP, but due to differing views, one became little more than a slanging match, the other, whilst not particularly constructive, didn't seem quite as offensive.

One of these threads has been closed, one has been deleted. The closed one, it is easy to understand what lead up to the closure. The posters on the deleted thread don't have the same priviledge. For example, an early poster can't return to see what else was said, reputation given in a deleted thread disappears, but not in a closed thread.

I am not questioning the Mods right/job to close or delete threads as they see fit, but what criteria is used? Does it depend on reported posts? Does it depend on which Mod a post is reported to? Doe it make a difference if the OP asks for a thread to be closed or deleted?

Sorry... many questions, I don't really have a problem, I jsut like to know what happens.
:)
Does seem rather odd, the OP bleats and moans about pointless crap, posters reply telling them they are bleating and moaning about pointless crap, then it seems, at the request of the OP, it all gets deleted. Ho hum. I suppose it makes sense to the mod doing the deleting. Seems a bit of an invitation to post rubbish, then when you get told it's rubbish you ask for it to be deleted.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Scubee,

speaking for myself if a person asks that their thread be deleted, and the thread is really adding nothing other than tit for tat posts then I will delete it.

As a mod you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, but I will always try and do what I consider the right thing, and deleting the thread was the right thing to do.

Safe diving,
Steve
Thanks, Steve - that's more or less what i thought. :)

·
Flaccid Member
5,410 Posts
Does seem rather odd, the OP bleats and moans about pointless crap, posters reply telling them they are bleating and moaning about pointless crap, then it seems, at the request of the OP, it all gets deleted. Ho hum. I suppose it makes sense to the mod doing the deleting. Seems a bit of an invitation to post rubbish, then when you get told it's rubbish you ask for it to be deleted.

The phrase "It's my football and I'm not playing anymore (because I'm losing) springs to mind! :rolleyes:

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
Right, now that all the teddy's have been thrown out of the pram, hows about we get back to discussing... um lets see what could it be??? ah yes DIVING....

Reactions: NeilP and 57358

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
I've missed something again haven't I.:frown:

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
What naffs me off is the time and effort people put into reply on these threads - sometimes with a lot of useful knowledge to be passed on. Then because the OP gets in a huff and asks for the threads to be deleted that knowledge is lost!
Perhaps the OP should put brain into gear before posting!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
What naffs me off is the time and effort people put into reply on these threads - sometimes with a lot of useful knowledge to be passed on. Then because the OP gets in a huff and asks for the threads to be deleted that knowledge is lost!
Perhaps the OP should put brain into gear before posting!
I was thinking just that. The thread that Steve saw fit to delete had approx 4o posts in it, some of them very long (including yours Odin) and directly related to Amy's original post. At a rough guestimate Steve deleted about 8 hours of posting from members just because the OP didn't like the replies she got. Pretty shoddy if you ask me. :angry:

No doubt this thread will get deleted as well eventually.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts