YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

· Creature of the night
14,153 Posts
Reactions: Simon TW

· Creature of the night
14,153 Posts
second thoughts keep it and buy a sense of humour :)

Graham
glad you realise I only need 20p to top off my humour, :) I'm off to bed now enjoy your diving tomorrow.

Safe diving,
Steve

Reactions: Janos and Sparky750

· A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,773 Posts
Okay I am going to close the thread.....I think everyone has had their chance to air their view .... and it's late :)

In closing the thread though I would be genuinely interested to hear from YDers about moderation and your view on how it's done. I get conflicting views so it would be good to hear from a bigger cross section of the membership.

Enjoy your diving if you are lucky enough to get out this weekend.
Mal

· Premium Member
5,666 Posts
My replies

Missed this last night and to be fair, my first thought when I went through this was "You bunch of ungrateful bastards". Moderators give their time freely in order to try and make YD a sociable and friendly place to be. They do not work for YD and are not on here 24 hours a day just to do your bidding.

There is no magic wand for moderation - sometimes we get it right, somethimes we get it wrong. Frankly we don't have time to pick and choose what stays, especially if a thread has been hijacked and the original poster simply wants it to go. Also, by selectively deleting posts throughout a thread it can make the overall meaning of the content disjointed and useless.

Perhaps rather than spout off at our mdoerators for not doing your bidding you might want to stand up and be counted and help self-moderate the boards rather than do what you have done in this thread. That would include not becoming involved in useless rucks like this.

By the way, I have re-opend this thread for replies as I would hate to be accused of having no balls and hiding behind my position as administrator.

· Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Jay has a little one:teeth:

Just my 2p i think the mods do quite a good job yes they make mistakes sometimes (in my opinion but who doesn't) all in all they keep this a nice place to visit. We can all be tossers now and again (myself obviously not included in this:angel: ) and need a little nudge to come round it maybe we've simply misread the way something was meant other times we get riled up and instead of walking away the tit for tat starts which doesn't do anyone any favors and the mods get left with the fall out. So keep up the good work chaps you may get it wrong and we may take the p*ss for it but i'm sure we all appreciate it deep down.

Mal is this what you wanted me to say and because of the extra words the cost is £20 now :wink:

· Team Starburst
5,260 Posts
Being a Diving Officer

Being a Branch Diving Officer the the comparison between being a Moderator seems fairly close. People will remember the 1% unpopular decision and forget the 99% popular decisions-not fit to dive, not safe to dive, practise that skill again before you get signed off etc. Mostly a thankless task.

Mods
Keep up the **good work.

*Apart from that hen worrying, workshy, yet exceedingly handsome(some say not me) northern diver moderator chappie. Too much praise is bad for him.

· Registered
24,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Being the one to start the whole thing off (for which I have apologised) my thoughts on the whole question of moderation are this.

On the whole, i think we are pretty good at self moderation. The reputation, PM and other features allow us to do that. On occasions, there are threads which should never have been started (this one falls into that category :embarassed: ) and they turn into tit-for-tat insults. However, they did start, and people make a valid contribution.

Closing a thread which serves no purpose in continuing is, I feel, a perfectly reasonable response. All the posters on a thread are protected, the rest of the forum can see exactly what led up to the closure and we can all reflect on our actions.

Deleting particularly awful posts is done rarely (that I have noticed) and if I have seen the post before it is deleted, I can usually understand why, so I have no issue with the way posts are deleted.

Deleting a whole thread seems to be done more often than closure. I can understand the reason why the OP of the thread yesterday would have wanted it deleting. Basically, there were some home truths told, which weren't welcome.

There are very few threads, particularly the ones in Speakers Corner where opinions are not freely exchanged. I do think that if a thread is in that section, then quite honestly, you take your chance. The whole point is to be able to vent your spleen, as it were. To object when people don't see things the way you want them to, is akin to a child starting a fight, then crying and running to mummy when someone fights back. I can think of several threads where the OP ended up getting a slating far worse than yesterday, and they were not even closed, let alone deleted!

I don't think I would want the task of moderating a forum like this, and I appreciate the time and effort they give freely. the problem, I fear, is that there are certain people on here (as there are in real life) that wind other people up. No matter how much effort is made to keep things on an even keel, there will be spats.
:)

· "Three sheds"
12,615 Posts
If I were a Mod then I doubt I would have deleted the thread. NB I'm saying that without having read it - I was diving yesterday but I'm a great believer in YD's self-moderation

However, we are all different and have different views, and I can't really say that I'm hugely bothered one way or the other if a Mod takes a slightly different approach on one of the thousands of threads on YD, especially if it doesn't involve diving.

Of the many diving boards of which I'm aware of, I think YD has the best approach to moderation. I'm sure you can think of one or two other sites that are over or under-moderated in comparison ;)

Janos

· Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,450 Posts
Missed this last night and to be fair, my first thought when I went through this was "You bunch of ungrateful bastards". Moderators give their time freely in order to try and make YD a sociable and friendly place to be. They do not work for YD and are not on here 24 hours a day just to do your bidding.

Jay, I'm sorry if it appears that way. I am sure that almost everyone on here really does appreciate the job that the mods do. I certainly appreciate that they have to make unpopular decisions that they themselves might not even agree with.

I think that the uproar in this particular instance is more to do with the attitude of the OP than the attitude of the mods.

Some members - allegedly - have a tendency to post self-indulgently, get childishly defensive when others exercise the right to disagree, then whinge and stamp their little feet when things don't go their way and the attention they receive is not the fluffy ego-stroking they wanted.

The mods then have to make a judgement call and unfortunately get the backlash. Its'a shame because I have the utmost respect for them - especially that Johnny Vegas-look-alike pie-eating Northern one.

Hxxx

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Longer term members will know that I have 'banged heads' with the mod team a few times in the past and that I had problems with the way specific mods chose to behave.

It is my belief that the current YD mods have the tone exactly right. I know Steve quite well, but only know the 'online persona' of the others. I genuinely feel that the current mod team are both approachable and 'straight down the line'.

I would feel comfortable speaking with any of them, or in fact with any of them asking me to self moderate.

Whatever happens, I think they do a good job, in sometimes tough circumstances, and I trust their judgement.

Let this nonsense pass, it's just because we all have cabin fever - go get wet ladies and gents.

Juz

· Registered
4,625 Posts
Mods, please continue your good work.

Attention seekers - Citizens Advice corporate website - Home - use this to sort out your problems and not YD. May I offer that perhaps you know exactly what your posting and it's with malicious intent? Ban their arses.

As for the rest of you giving my cock is bigger than yours and hiding behind an IP address for fucks sake, get a grip, get a life or get lost.

Bored bored bored bored BORED!

· I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,450 Posts

· YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I think the current level/style of moderation on YD is pretty good, and considerably better than it has been at some points in history.
It's a helluva lot better than Scuboard, that's for sure. If you want to see heavy handed twats, that's the place to go.

· YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Some members - allegedly - have a tendency to post self-indulgently, get childishly defensive when others exercise the right to disagree, then whinge and stamp their little feet when things don't go their way and the attention they receive is not the fluffy ego-stroking they wanted.
You sure you don't want to reword that bit? :)

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.