YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Next week, My buddy and I will be going to the first meeting of a new club...organised by our local dive shop [ and the people we passed our OW with ] Last week I asked the question... ' Will there be any club rules? '...a simple question.
But with no answer. Yes, you will get the T- shirt, badges, and discount at 10%, etc...
My question would seem simple...
1. Should there be club rules? [ In any shape or form ]
2. Do we need rules?
3. At 40 euro's each, should we expect Insurance provided by
   the club?
4. Is there a difference between clubs organised by like        
   minded people, and those organised through a business?

Is ' YD ' not a club?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

All IMVHO
1) yes
2) Yes
3) dunno, but with BSAC for less than 40 GBPs you get 3rd party insurance up to 5mill
4) Yes
5) only in the loosest sense, so a kinda no

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Steve is BSAC so you'd expect the response he's given, and I don't particularly disagree.

I've been involved briefly with a couple of dive clubs, and it sounds like the one you're talking about is similar to those. To be frank, I found them useless. It might be different in Spain but the clubs I was involved in were set up by a few individuals who realised that there weren't enough of them to fill a charter boat so decided to start a club to create a pool of fodder to take up the empty spaces. In a short time a central core grew to "charter boat size" and everyone else was surplus to requirements and never got invited to dive.

I did very little diving with either. Since joining YD this year I've dived more than the previous 3 years together. Not much use to you in Spain, I know. Just be wary of letting any politics or hidden personal agendas get in the way.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scubadog @ Nov. 19 2003,19:55)]Is ' YD ' not a club?
More like a support group  

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Personally i think of YD as a club.

I have taken quite a few YD out in the channel and this would not have happened without this forum. I would also have been on a few more trips like the red sea if it were not for a difficult work year.

I think the YD club does exactly what it wanted in linking up divers to go diving. A huge bonus is that many inexperienced divers get to progress their experience with the right people to help them.

As a BSAC member i am bound to come out in favour of the club thing, but i also know it works if the prople are right.

There are many on here who know of clubs that have worked and quite a few like Mark Davis and Mark Chase who know of clubs that have not.

I know if i joined the club up the road from me (In Sittingbourne) i would not have progressed as i have. But i joined the one down the road (In Canterbury) and it went very well.

Personally i think E40 aint a big deal, if it works -Great

If it don't - Thats life
 But if you don't try it you wont know).

Just my 2 Cents worth

Dive safe

Paul

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 19 2003,21:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scubadog @ Nov. 19 2003,19:55)]Is ' YD ' not a club?
More like a support group  
Complete with its own 'Twelve Step Programme' and with sweeping powers to section its members. I'll leave others to suggest what those 12 steps are  

Good luck, either way.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Scubadog.

We are trying to set up a club at the moment, nothing too heavy just somewhere for people to get together, go diving and develop their skills.  I'm very interested to see what comments come back, what others expect etc.  
We have had some bad experiences in the past where the club has been too closely associated with either a shop and/or school who have their own agenda.
I have felt more of an affinity with YD than the majority of clubs I have been associated with, possibly because of the freedom of choice, you can pick and choose what you want to get involved in and how much.  I haven't managed to get diving with anyone from here yet but hope to sort that out early in the new year.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You only need one rule:

Thou shalt not!

Covers everything

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Depends on what is meant by a club. Shop based clubs are usually for tyro divers and are usually based around making the shop money by either filling trips they are running or selling the members more kit. As divers get more experienced and know what they want they tend to leave with more newly trained divers replacing them. After all a shop is a business and a club is only a marketing tool to make more money to them except in very rare cases.

We are in much the same position and setting up a group of divers to go diving regularly without a formal club and fee structure based around our area and equipment but even in a formally set up club it always takes someone to get off their backside and organise dives. This isn't always the case in some clubs

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

The club I belong to OOCDC (Out of Cinque Diving Club, Hastings) is run from our LDS - The Hastings Diving Centre.

If any problems have occurred then IMO they seem to be of a personal nature when members forget the shop is a business.

On the plus side our shop owner (Paul) does do a lot of favours for the members IMO.

The one thing that may cause problems is money so I would think you would need to identify the use to which the club membership money is to be used. You also need a bank account in the club name and appoint cheque signatories/treasurer. I am sure your local bank would give you advice on any legal reqiuirements.

Of course you will need to be careful if you are taking novices diving or doing training under the club name as there are legal/HSE {EDIT - EQUIVALENT TO? }requirements to be met. Also, if you have events in the club name (e.g. we sometimes have a shore dive and barbeque day) you will certainly need to get some public liability insurance.

Beyond that, "the members are the club" - make the rules  you think necessary.

I think it is right and proper (oh God, I sound like a politician
) that the questions you posted are brought up at your first club meeting before all members.

Alternatively we are a "multi faith" club with a good range of abilities from novice to trimix to YBODS - move over here and join with us  

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Scubadog
I live in northern Portugal and do most of my diving in Galicia, Spain. My local dive shop has a sort of club, I pay €20 per quarter (thus €80 per year) and with this I got a free dive for every 5 dives. Now each dive costs €18 + €4 for air so if I dive more than 5 dives/3months the quarterly fee pays for itself. On top of this I get my kit serviced for free (except for parts, just the labour is free).
As it is a dive shop & has their own boat & excursions I don't really consider it a proper 'dive club' as it isn't independent, so no trips are organised to other parts of Spain or elsewhere. Yet it is a close group of people who get along well and so far it is the closest thing I can find here to a British type club.

In a way I consider YD as a club as it joins people up for trips but more importantly there is exxhange of experienced information. Since joining YD I've learnt a lot and sure has increased my desire to go diving, even convinced me to do a dive trip to the UK for next summer!

P.S Where are you in Spain?

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

i belong to nottingham university sub-aqua club, and we pay £25 or £15 per year for membership, for which we get to use all the kit, two boats, and free fills. really the only rules are:

uni rules, e.g. all members must either be students or graduates of notts uni (exceptions for intructors). we put up with these cos the uni gives us a lot of money

general BSAC rules, e.g. the diving officer must know about all the diving

kit rules, e.g. if you take a tank, return it full.

there's a sort of hard core of the more experienced people who have been in the club for years and years, and then there's the students who are generally but not always trainees. (i'm sort of in the middle
). the trainees tend to follow the lead of the more experienced, so it's more club tradition than club rules really. there's never been much that's set in stone, and it seems to work for us!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>dear all
it is true what all of you have mentioned about club regulation, i have been a member of a diving club since 1993 in malta known as (ATLAM SUB AQUA CLUB) WWW.ATLAM.ORG
we have rules (club statute) which the committee  put down in writing all the conditions,aims and regulations (AND ALL MEMBERS AGREE ABOUT IT)which evry one on the club will follow this rules,and it is highly important to have one.
if any one would like to have look at our STATUE i be happy to help.

NADER

1 - 13 of 13 Posts