YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Group: Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All
Time to roll this one out again,MV Clutha booked for the 16-17th August,Only five deffo's so still plenty of spaces.
Kev W
Nigel W
Steve W
Gavin Yates +1(oop's sorry)

Deposit of £22 required to book place.total price of diving is £44 for the two days + air
Accommodation:Charles street,Largs.Tel Roberta direct on 01475 687162

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three wrecks that have been mentioned so far are:-
1 The Akka (the biggest wreck in the Clyde)
5409 ton Swedish motor vessel,Built in 1942,434ft x 56ft
twin 6 cyl engines.
Cargo:- Iron Ore
Largely intact,upright Bow section in about 16mtr            
stern deck in about 24mtr.
Hazzards:- collapsing areas (decking) silt easily stirred up.

2 The Wallechia
1724ton British Steamer
Cargo:- Chloride,glassware,coal,spirits, beer and building
materials.
Lies upright and intact,collision damage to starboard bow
engine room accessible through funnel hole.
Depth 34mtr
Hazzards:- as Akka

3 The Greenock
The last time I dived this I reached a depth of 30mtr.
I seem to have mislaid the info on this wreck but I believe it to be a bucket dredger.Easily silted up and a lot smaller than the two previous wrecks.

Edited by Kev W on May 13 2003,20:14  

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I will leave this trip open for another week and then I will have to inform the dive operator I can't fill it.
anyone hiding out there come out now
cheers

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Kev,

If you can't fill it I might be able to get a space for you and the rest of us on another vessel around the same time.

Drop me a line.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks Gavin,however if we cancel we lose all deposits.
so I really would like to give this another week on the boards

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Lose all the deposits .... that's a bit shitty ... I've never had this crap with Jim on the Spinaway.

Come on boys  - get yer fingers oot.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Ditto!

We've for a web-site full of twinsetted-stage-carrying-wreckie-tekkies and we can't get a handful of people to dive some of the most well know wrecks in Scotland

As they say in the RN "C'mon you lot  "hands off  c**** on with socks"

Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Gavin,however if we cancel we lose all deposits.
so I really would like to give this another week on the boards

.....thats a bit shitty......Too true
even worse when its cancelled by weather and the boat doesn't leave the harbour and you still have to pay

Kev
Give Elaine a ring, thats NOT the way she works, you may have been misled.
The boats fully booked for the rest of the year!! and she has loads of regular people that she uses for filling up smaller groups waiting for any dates available.
Thats why the boat is always out every weekend, apart from when she's away diving herself!!  
Andy

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>**Too true  even worse when its cancelled by weather and the boat doesn't leave the harbour and you still have to pay**

Sorry have I missed something,where did this line come from.

I was refering to the web/literature I received saying a non refundable deposit was required to book the boat.And if we just cancel we will therefore lose our deposit,However if there are no more takers I still intend to go with the numbers I have and I will then ask Elaine to fill the remaining spaces.

·
Supporting Sea Shepherd
1,446 Posts
Imported post

Well I would love to join you guys on this trip but i'll be coming back from the red sea!

Went up there a couple of months ago, the diving is superb, the boat is spot on as is the skipper, so come on you guys get your fingers out of your arses and do some proper diving.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

A true story about the Wallachia(well the jist of it is anyway).

Stardate-1980something.
Scene 1-Two divers sitting in a pub in Largs chatting away to an old fisherman;
Fisherman "My nets keep snagging. I think it's a wreck".
Divers "Ohhhhh reallly, Whereabouts".
Fisherman(with a chart) "Right here".

And a cunning plan is hatched!!!!!

Scene 2-Two divers on the fresh wreck of the Wallachia.
Diver 1-"Mmmnnnn, bluub, blubb, mnnnn". (Translates to) "Look, there's a bottle".
Diver 2-"MMnnn, Nnnn, Bluubby-Glug-glug" (Translates to) "There's another one".
Diver 1-"Blubba-glugga-mmnnnn-nnnnnn" (Translates to) "Fu*k me, there's thousands of them".

And it thus became a Whisky salvage operation.
The pair of them lifted hundreds, if not thousands of bottles of Whisky. Diver 1 decided to give his away to Buddies, Friends, Family, etc. Diver 2 put his in for auction. The dearest bottle went for £1800(yes £1800). He paid off his mortgage, bought a new car and a boat. Diver 1 just made a lot of good friends drunk on bloody expensive Whisky. What a stupid ar*ehole!!!!!

Peter

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have e mailed Elaine today informing her that there are only five takers for this trip and have asked her to fill the remaining spaces.
We must now be aware that as we will now be the minority group (assuming full boat) we will no longer be able to dictate what we dive.
Sorry this trip has turned out to be such an abysmal failure but I did my best,I was informed on Sat that YD now has 900 members I thought 8 for this trip would be a breeze.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Kev, you never know closer to the time some of this 'orrible lot will probably want to dive the Clyde - one of the UKs finest collection of wrecks.

Anyway - if we don't get the choice of what to dive that's fine. All the wrecks there are good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ July 01 2003,15:52)]A true story about the Wallachia(well the jist of it is anyway).

in a pub in Largs chatting away to an old fisherman;

Peter
Peter, I think Howard would object to being called "old".
He is now the skipper on our wee R/V.  

1 - 14 of 14 Posts