YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi All
Time to roll this one out again,MV Clutha booked for the 16-17th August,Only five deffo's so still plenty of spaces.
Kev W
Nigel W
Steve W
Gavin Yates +1(oop's sorry)

Deposit of £22 required to book place.total price of diving is £44 for the two days + air
Accommodation:Charles street,Largs.Tel Roberta direct on 01475 687162

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three wrecks that have been mentioned so far are:-
1 The Akka (the biggest wreck in the Clyde)
5409 ton Swedish motor vessel,Built in 1942,434ft x 56ft
twin 6 cyl engines.
Cargo:- Iron Ore
Largely intact,upright Bow section in about 16mtr            
stern deck in about 24mtr.
Hazzards:- collapsing areas (decking) silt easily stirred up.

2 The Wallechia
1724ton British Steamer
Cargo:- Chloride,glassware,coal,spirits, beer and building
materials.
Lies upright and intact,collision damage to starboard bow
engine room accessible through funnel hole.
Depth 34mtr
Hazzards:- as Akka

3 The Greenock
The last time I dived this I reached a depth of 30mtr.
I seem to have mislaid the info on this wreck but I believe it to be a bucket dredger.Easily silted up and a lot smaller than the two previous wrecks.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Kev - I sent cash to you for two divers - I think?

So that's one more unless you've got me mixed up with Stevie W.

Gav

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

For my opinion in what it's worth.
Greenock: She is indeed a bucket dredger. Mostly broken up but the buckets are still "reasonably" intact and the most interesting part of the dive.
Wallachia: Stay away from the engine room and all deep penetration. I believe the dead diver count is now at 9. She is a dangerous wreck. Please heed this advice.

Peter
PS-Any whisky found on the Wallachia comes under the property of P.Kelly act, section 1976, paragraph 26.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ May 12 2003,13:11)]Kev - I sent cash to you for two divers - I think?

So that's one more unless you've got me mixed up with Stevie W.

Gav
<font color='#0000FF'>Yeah, bit of a mux-ip there between me and thee, I only paid for one space.
Chee-az
steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

Wallachia: Stay away from the engine room and all deep penetration. I believe the dead diver count is now at 9. She is a dangerous wreck. Please heed this advice.

Totally agree Peter. The Wallachia is like any of the Clyde Wrecks, lovely from the outside and dangerous on the inside. I don't mind going into the wrecks on the Sound of Mull or Scapa there "clean" but as you well know the Clyde wrecks look lovely and clean from the outside but when inside the vis goes with one breath. Reeling in and out I've found is, to coin Gavins phrase "as much use as a snorkle at 40m"

Andy

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>However, I'm sure I'd have spelled snorkel correctly.

I agree with both of you - pop into the holds by all means but don't venture more than a couple of fin strokes from your entry point.

The Wallachia's also getting to be a bit of a flaky old girl and I would wanna be under sommat when it decided to fall off. Ditto Akka and others.

Lovely wrecks to have a great scoot about on tho'

And places are available this weekend - he plugged

1 - 6 of 6 Posts