YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been given a Cochran commander Nitrox by a mate who has given up diving.

Took it out at the weekend to try it out and compare it to my own Mares M1.  The difference in the NDL was suprising to say the least, although I did have the conservatism set to 0% with the temperature compensation turned on.

Does anyone else use a commander and what conservatism do you have it set at ?

First impressions are that it is a bit crap and will be used as a back up bottom timer only.  But would appreciate any opinions from any owners who think I am being a little unfair.

Finally, is there any way of setting the date stamp without the PC interface, or of resetting it to factory settings (I was told that reversing the battery polarity would do this , but I hasn't worked)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Hi John
Both Finless and I use the same.  It surprised me too the first time I did a deco dive, where my buddy's Aladin Nitrox gave hime 20 minutes of stops compared to my 7 for the same profile!  I have set mine to 30% to even things up a little, but if you, like me, have the 2 mix model, it'll do you for advanced Deco.  Buggers to set, especially on a rocking boat, but I tend to set mine up on the PC the night before (where possible) and just check it again before I get in.
They are renowned for being un-conservative, but I like mine lots - I'd only swap it for a VR2 (or maybe a VR3 if I had the money to spend).
As to resetting it - don't know - I don't think it has the date built in, so it just works back from the current time once you connect it up to the computer.  To be sure, contact Cochran through the website - very helpful.
Personally think it's too good for a back-up, although if you do, and you leave it on 0%, it'll always clear before any other computer!
HTH
Martin

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ Jan. 21 2004,13:44)]They are renowned for being un-conservative, but I like mine lots -
THat's a first, I've know a couple of guys with Cochrans, they kept flooding on a far too regular basis

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

What Martin said.

I have mine set on 10% conservatism (because of age) - previously used it on 5%.

I don't know about reversing the polarity of the battery - sounds like a recipe for fried innards if you ask me.

I do know that with mine when I freaked it out on a dive in Normandy and it sulked and went into gauge mode I managed to reset it by removing the battery for a few seconds. It even retained the dive log after I replaced the battery.

I must admit that I had not really noticed any great diff in the times to surface between my computer and other peoples. Every dive (first of the day) is a deco dive - maybe once into deco the schedules match up closer with other computers.

I really like my Cochran Commander and you really do need a PC interface to make life easier + there are some settings that can only be changed using a PC interface (as far as I am aware).

I have used mine for a few years now and have been doing deco dives for over a year and am still alive and unbent (could just be dumb luck).

If you are close enough to call or can be bothered to post it to me (Bexhill, East Sussex) I will configure it to your requirements on my PC.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Jan. 21 2004,14:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ Jan. 21 2004,13:44)]They are renowned for being un-conservative, but I like mine lots -
THat's a first, I've know a couple of guys with Cochrans, they kept flooding on a far too regular basis
This is a second then - I really like mine too  

I have not had a single problem with mine - aside from the frustration of trying to alter its settings when on a boat.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks chaps,

Maybee I was being a bit premature in writing it off as a bottom timer.  Aesthetically I quite like it, far better than the bulbous lump that is the M1! And I really can't complain considering it cost me a whole 3 quid (for the replacement batteries)

Think I'll try upping the conservatism to around 30% and doing another comparison this weekend.  Looks like the PC link might be the way to go.

I have heard of people having problems with them flooding, but am assures that this is down to overtigtening the battery compartment lid

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

The conservatism only seems to effect subsequent dives....

I like mine, its deco is overly generous, but I factor in my own stop sequences anyway. The bit about the old battery reverse trick is if ever you manage to lock it up (can happen with the PC interface). Beware, it resets ALL internal data including tissue loadings.

If you only want it for a d-timer, let me know, I'll happily swap it for one.

/Zak

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JohnH @ Jan. 21 2004,15:46)]Thanks chaps,

Maybee I was being a bit premature in writing it off as a bottom timer.  Aesthetically I quite like it, far better than the bulbous lump that is the M1! And I really can't complain considering it cost me a whole 3 quid (for the replacement batteries)

Think I'll try upping the conservatism to around 30% and doing another comparison this weekend.  Looks like the PC link might be the way to go.

I have heard of people having problems with them flooding, but am assures that this is down to overtigtening the battery compartment lid
No...., agh... er....now you see - I think you may have misunderstood my previous posts.

I may not have made it completely clear that I think your friend had a damn cheek giving you that computer when it will probably cause you loads of trouble and that you have wasted £3 on a battery.

Now, because I am a nice chap ANd because I MAY have accidentally mislead you previously I am prepared to give you ten English pounds PLUS cover the P&P to take the offending article off your hands as it is obviously not worth your while keeping that computer. It is bound to be loads of trouble.

OK, my last offer is £20 + P&P.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Hi There John,

I'll take it off your hands as a back up to my Cochran if you wish.

I have mine set on 0% conservation and usually end up doing deco based on my buddy's computer. It only makes a real difference on repatative diving especially if diving 2-3 times a day for a week.

This could be down to the switch over to a higher 02%, that I would normally do, for anything involving long repatative diving, as most don't allow for this. It really seems to clear quickly if you switch over to a higher O2%.

g.

I don't have a pc interface of software for my cochran as it was 2nd hand. can anyone help me with information on this?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Run it on 0 and add your own safety. That way if you ever need to push it a bit you wont bend the computer.

It is agresive but I have been told its about the same as the VR3. I have run the VR3 on 0 and got out of the water folowing it on some 45mins of deco type dives and felt OK but I usualy add about 5mins to the VR3 profile if every thing is OK and I am comfortable.

Just because the computer says do this deco at this depth you dont have to folow it blind. As long as you into the deco zone you can add as much time as you like.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Jan. 21 2004,17:02)]It is agresive but I have been told its about the same as the VR3.
I have noticed that my computer deco stops never seem to be that far from the Proplanner cut backup slate I take.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Having never used Proplanner only V & Z planner, I found them more conservative than my Cochran. Dived once with a buddy using a VR3 only to 40m ish & he some 7 mins of Deco left when mine had cleared. We we're using slightly differing mixes though. So not a great deal of difference.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reeve @ Jan. 21 2004,16:51)]I don't have a pc interface of software for my cochran as it was 2nd hand. can anyone help me with information on this?
I believe the PC software and interface cable is in the £100 region.

You can buy it direct from Cochran at Their Website. I have heard that they now have a UK agent again but I don't know who/where - if you email Cochran I am sure they will supply you with the details.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No...., agh... er....now you see - I think you may have misunderstood my previous posts.

I may not have made it completely clear that I think your friend had a damn cheek giving you that computer when it will probably cause you loads of trouble and that you have wasted £3 on a battery.

Now, because I am a nice chap ANd because I MAY have accidentally mislead you previously I am prepared to give you ten English pounds PLUS cover the P&P to take the offending article off your hands as it is obviously not worth your while keeping that computer. It is bound to be loads of trouble.

OK, my last offer is £20 + P&P.
Proof once again what a generous bunch of people YDers are . . . . salt of the earth and all that.

However, I have decided to keep the commander for a while.  Nothing to do with its performance as a dive computer, but because the colour matches my lime green Avanti's nicely

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

Interesting, Im probably the only one, but I found that review next to worthless.

Theres no comparison of model types, no meaningful comparison of the stops generated.... in fact... nowt!

As a suggested improvement, perhaps it could be printed on softer paper  

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zaksherlock @ Jan. 24 2004,16:37)]Interesting, Im probably the only one, but I found that review next to worthless.

Theres no comparison of model types, no meaningful comparison of the stops generated.... in fact... nowt!

As a suggested improvement, perhaps it could be printed on softer paper  
<font color='#0000FF'>i'm with you on that,tests should be more detailed and specific if your going test gear get of the fence and state whats good and whats crap.
manufacturers should be terrified of your tests and divers should be able to trust them,this is not currently the case.
a warts and all assessment is required or bin it.
maybe tests could be carried out by independant testers to give some credibility.
cheers
barrie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts