YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hello guys......just arrived back from a boat dive, and the adrenalin is still pumpin.

Will be buying my first outfit within the next few weeks......My local dive shop is selling the new Tigullio T52 reg with first stage and octopus [ including reg bag ] for £268.00. The makers' brochure says it will be aimed at the UK market, and therefore it will be suitable for cold water use. But an independent report that I read wouldn't reccommend it
as a " cold water reg ". Although I live is Spain and appreciate the possible differences in temp in comparison with the UK, I am hoping to dive off the UK next year, possibly off the Isle of White.......at what temp is water being classed as cold? and which bit of the reg gives it that classification.....
ie.mechanically?

Scubadog.....
PS...The pic's I have seen on YD are awesome.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>You want a reg with an environmentally sealed 1st stage. My personal recomendation would be Apeks, tried and tested and used by me down to 2 degs.

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Imported post

you might try 'go dive', I think they have a deal on Apecks tx40's for less than £280 and they are a very good cold water reg.

regards

Ian

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

I've just bought a set of Apeks TX50's with TX40 AAS and dry sealed 1st stage from Go Dive, they are knocking these out for £249 or £279 with a console.  For that kind of money you would be mad not to buy them.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I love my Apeks regs (TX40s), dive with them practically every week, all year round, including here on the west coast of Sweden, where the surface sea temp often drops to zero or even minus 1 degree C in January and February and the air temp is below zero most times we dive. I've only had one free flow in almost 700 dives with them. There are lots of other good cold water regs, though. For example, all Scubapro regs made in the last 3 or 4 years are designed for cold-water use.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I will add my endorsment of Apex reg's they are good and cheep if you stick to the TX range. I have TX 40 and TX50's and I have dived in 4c fresh water.

Ocianic Delta 3 is also very good and again I have dived in 4c fresh water.

All the above is good advice for a reg for any where but dont get hung up on using cold water regs for sea diving in the UK. The water never gets much below 9c in the sea I did have 7c once in Portland harbor in January but that was exceptional.

This cold water reg thing is more likley to be an issue in Fresh water. I dont think I have ever herd of any one iceing up a reg in the sea.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

My dacor vyper metal has been faultless as has bunny's aqaulung coustau glacia in a 4 degree stoney.

You need a reg that is rated to EN250 which is the cold water testing for the EU.

Hope this helps,

Noel

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

For an even cheaper option try the Oceanic Alpha 7 CDX.  The CDX firststage is environmentally sealed so fine for cold water (also used it to 4 deg fresh water), and the second stage is a nice breathe and simple to take apart.  It is also nice and light for travelling.

Having said that I also use the ATX50/40 combination and they are fine too, although I prefer the breathe of the Alpha.

You can save money in the long run with the Oceanics as they have a lifetime warranty which means that all service parts are free, you pay for labour.

HTH

Lou

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I have the Oceanics DX4/Delta3 (1st/2nd) reg and dont much like the Delta, sorry Mark,  so I would go for the Alpha second stage given the choice, its also a bit cheaper. I have also used the Oceanics SP4, which isnt cold rated in Stoney (a fresh water quarry) in Mid winter and had no problem, but that might be a bit risky, which is why I bought the DX4 cold water reg. No problems with that either. Service costs, as Lou said, are good as parts are free. In the UK a service should cost about 35 GBP per set.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Oct. 19 2003,07:08)]I will add my endorsment of Apex reg's they are good and cheep if you stick to the TX range. I have TX 40 and TX50's and I have dived in 4c fresh water.

Ocianic Delta 3 is also very good and again I have dived in 4c fresh water.

All the above is good advice for a reg for any where but dont get hung up on using cold water regs for sea diving in the UK. The water never gets much below 9c in the sea I did have 7c once in Portland harbor in January but that was exceptional.

This cold water reg thing is more likley to be an issue in Fresh water. I dont think I have ever herd of any one iceing up a reg in the sea.

ATB

Mark Chase
<font color='#810541'>Hi Mark, I know that Mares count 10 degs or less as cold water and state you must fit the extra kit to the 1st stage.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I just posted on the "What to do when...equipment failure" and referred to my Beuchat Ice VX10.....as i said there, it's bullet proof and a cracking very cold water reg...never ever had probs with it and I dive in the iced lake (coming round again) about 20-30 times a year.

Has anyone else any thoughts on this reg....my experience with it, compared to a number of others, is positive.

My other regs include Scubapro S600 (quite new, 6 months or so, and not tried it below 6 centigrade yet) but quite comfortable but it lacks something...dunno what, it's in the mind but it just feels TOO light....

Anyway...

Cheers.

Graham

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I don't think you can get Beuchat equipment in Sweden now but my local diveshop sold their regs for a while a few years ago and said they were very good. I kind of vaguely remember that they were the same as Aqualung (whom make excellent cold water regs), but perhaps I'm wrong. Do you know, Graham?

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

I was told that the Beuchat VX100 is an excellent reg, but difficult to get hold of in Spain, or should I say where I live. Thats when I was offered the Tigullio T52. After all the information I have received after posting my original question...I have decided to buy the Apex TX50 + TX40 kit.

Scubadog

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

John,

Good to hear from you again....Beuchat and Aqualung are both excellent cold water regs.

I asked the quesrtion on YD because I'm sure there brands that are, to a degree, overlooked in the UK for servicing/spare parts reasons. For the same reason, I didn't buy Apeks, for example, as the servicing is not available in Luxembourg.

The Aqualung regs are used by many of my cold water friends here and there are some debates in the pub about the continental regs (Beuchat, Aqualung, Scubapro etc etc). Aqualung and Beuchat, as far as I'm aware, are different companies. I think the "confusion" over whether they are the same stems from the fact that they are both French.

Cheers.

Graham

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

I've had my Mares Abyss regs in water of about 3 to 4 'C without trouble; now switched to Poseidon Jetstreams for me twin-set and had them in th same kinda temps, again without drama.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Never had a problem with the Apeks or Poseidon cyklons I use. I've been converted by the cyklon since it was adjusted properly, and find it very reassuring. Don't know why, but like being on it better than the Apeks, whereas it used to be the other way around.

I've got Aqua-Lung Artic regs that have done the job nicely in the past, but they've been relegated to backups now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts