YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
according to the HSE document:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/diving/ma1.pdf

"K. VISION
K1. Visual acuity with or without correction and colour vision must be adequate for the type of diving activity such as the requirement to read a watch, computer, depth gauge, tables, instrumentation etc. Visual acuity in both eyes of 6/9 is likely to be adequate. Colour vision is important for specific inspection tasks. Appropriate colour vision screening and confirmatory tests, if required, should be used."

HTH,

Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was this document that brought it to my attention in the first place. i was thinking of going for a commie diving course but i am know worried after reading this as i am a little colour blind, it has never affected me before and would be s****y if it had to affect me now:angry:

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
Naa, you will be fine, I'm sure it won't matter if it looks like brown crap or beige crap, all smells the same :D

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
would you still be able to have a career in commercial diving if you were colour blind?
I just asked all the guys onboard here if any were colour blind or if they knew of any - no one had - but that doesn't mean you'll fail a medical. We do get the 'spotty numbers' test at medicals but to what standard you have to be no-one out here knows. BUT - I will find out shortly!

Berko

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spoke to the doc and as long as you can pass the trade test, which involves being able to identify several different coloured wires then you pass the medical.

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
spoke to the doc and as long as you can pass the trade test, which involves being able to identify several different coloured wires then you pass the medical.
Well done Chris, you got there before me... so, looks like you'll be up and running or rather stomping across the bottom of some Jockanese Loch pretty soon!:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry stew, just seen your post.
it looks like a pass, although there is a little humming and hawing regarding the colour blind test (i.e, does the trade test suffice)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts