YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hiya!

I am (and also my hubbie and buddie) are cold water virgins!

We have completed 80 dives now all warm water..from Gozo to Red Sea to maldives (and very nice it was too!!!) and need convincing that we should proceed to diving in the UK!!

Do you think that we should start by doing out dry suit course? As we have only previously dived in wet-suits I am presuming that this is the way to go....after this we are interested in completing our rescue diver...

Any views/help on the above would be great!!!

Thanks Scubachick  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I learn't to dive abroad some 6 years ago,  have dived all over including Gozo, Red Sea, Maldives, Cozumel, Cayman Islands, Thailand, Philippines etc..  and I love diving in the UK.

It is very different but equally rewarding and fun.  It will allow you to dive all year round between holidays and also I guarentee it will make you a better diver.

Definitely do the rescue course, you will have loads of fun.  

You might be able to get away with a good wetsuit in the next couple of months, so could try it before you decide to embark on buying drysuits or even find a diveshop willing to loan you drysuits for your drysuit orientation.

Go ahead and give it a try, what have you got to lose?

The only problem is, you might like it too much.  

Let me ask you one question.  "What do you enjoy about diving?"

Daz

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

getting orientated with a dry suit is a must if u r planning on divng in the uk as the water at this time of year is about 5 degrees c inland  
 and i ve always said if you can dive in the uk u can pretty much dive anywhere best wishes leigh  

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well, its hard to say.
Some folk like it, me for one. I'll dive anywhere in any temp at least once. I've been in fish ponds even.

However, not everyone is stupid, if you like wrecks you'll love it.
If you need neon fish and 20m viz you wont.

Give the drysuit course a go and see where it leads, even if only to being warmer in the Red/Med  

UK diving is like reading a book - the details unfold slowly as you move along.
Warmwater/good viz can be like seeing a picture - all the details at once.

My thoughts anyhoo,

Stu.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

hey stu well put mate i like that
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] UK diving is like reading a book - the details unfold slowly as you move along.
Warmwater/good viz can be like seeing a picture - all the details at once.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ Mar. 18 2004,22:35)]If you need neon fish and 20m viz you wont.
Big up for the male cuckoo wrasse say I!!

Agree with the others, get the drysuits sorted and get out there, it's superb!

By the way, when you say you're cold water virgins, please tell me that's figuratively speaking.

You're not considering, errr, doing "rudies" out there are you?

Ouch!!

Seriously(but not for long!) as Stu said, it's all out there to see, sometimes you have to look for it but it's definitely there, and it takes some beating!!

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Do not even bother with a dry suit, just rent a good wet suit and find a diver to take you for a dive, try to avoid the muddy puddles in England, go for the sea. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

i will definately suggest drysuits and either a course or lots of practice with someone experienced (informal course i suppose). you will love it, do a couple of quarry dives just to learn to drive the dry suit then get yerselves in the sea. there lots to look at and it's ace. I have never dived in  wetsuit in the uk and not about to start now. even i n the summer i get cold after a while. depends how much of a wuss you you are.
get stuck in !

jules

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (darthmoll @ Mar. 18 2004,23:43)]Do not even bother with a dry suit, just rent a good wet suit and find a diver to take you for a dive, try to avoid the muddy puddles in England, go for the sea. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I have previously been a proponent of the idea that drysuits are for wimps and it's lovely and warm in a semi-dry wetsuit, so I'd normally agree with darthmoll.  Having been out last weekend and had to end a dive earlier than planned 'cos my buddy was cold, I'd add a caveat .......

if, like me, mother nature (and pies) has provided extra insulation, try it first in a semi-dry as soon as possible, you WILL be pleasantly surprised by the UK water.  If you are whippet-thin like my buddy at the weekend, I'd suggest waiting until a bit later in the year to get in the water in a wetsuit.

In terms of tempting you to give the UK a try; I learnt in the UK with the intention of only diving abroad, but the bug has well and truly bitten me.  I'd suggest something like west of wales or Cornwall as an intro dive (Pembrokeshire coast was where I did my first sea dives, and it was worth the drive from London, without a doubt).  I was expecting zero viz and no life, but it was nothing of the sort.  It was also warmer out west than I expected - benefit of the gulf stream, I guess.

Give it a try, you know you want to!

Andy

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Never trust anyone who tells you to dive in the UK in a semi-dry. They are obviously mental. (I'm sure I'll get stick for that!)

I am sure it is fine down south in the summer in a semi-dry, but the reality is, most places in the UK, for the majority of the year, will be more comfortably done in a dry suit. FACT!

Uk diving is different from abroad, it has it's own flavour and rewards. The wise thing to do is the dry suit course and arrange a couple of "nice" dives in good conditions. If you think you will go for it regardless, and the fact you have posted makes me think you will, buy a suit and undersuit from the start. There are some good second hand ones about from begginers that have gone off it. (you've dived before) Get some advice from someone local to you, most will be willing to help if you put a post up her asking for help, we've all been there.

James  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

In summer, there's no big problem with an inland dive in a wet/semidry suit.

This time of year, don't even think about it - all it'll do is put you off UK diving for life. Wait till June, or do a drysuit course now.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Mar. 19 2004,00:56)]I am sure it is fine down south in the summer in a semi-dry, but the reality is, most places in the UK, for the majority of the year, will be more comfortably done in a dry suit. FACT!
i am with James and Dominic  on this one!
I dont think i have ever dived in the uk with anyone in a wetsuit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

Hmmmm...this has ne thinking a bit 'cos I was going to do Anglesey at the YD gig in a wetsuit....

Does that mean you will all laugh at my naivete or gasp in amazement at my intrepidness???

Seriously, do I (and more importantly Jo (other half)) need a drysuit for this???

·
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I've been looking forward to this opportunity:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Mar. 19 2004,00:56)]Never trust anyone who tells you to dive in the UK in a semi-dry. They are obviously mental.

I think I've just been called mental .................

I DEMAND AN APOLOGY!

Seriously, though, Ratbag, for Anglesey it'll be the end of July / beginning of August and as long as we don't have a crappy summer you should be fine in a semi-dry.  The sea tends to be a bit warmer than the inland sites anyway.  If you are at all concerned about being cold, take my advice - eat lots of pies. Start now, and eat lots.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

UK in wet suit, absolutely fine, for about 3 days a year.
Seriously I used to dive in a wet suit and first dive was OK, second dive wasnt. I dont even consider diving wet anymoe as an option. However, some wet suits are OK if you are tough, but for year round diving its a dry bag for me.

I ride a motorbike year round so I dont think I'm a big jessie, just a Southern Shandy drinker.

I love UK diving, but I always said I'd never do it. Ho hum.

Stu did put it really well.

Get in and enjoy. Padi do UK acclimatisation courses.

HTH
Matt

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

Aaaahhh!! That's what I like...conflicting advice in the space of two posts...

·
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I can only tell it how I have experienced it, and I've dived twice so far this year in a semi-dry but then even though I live in the south I must be a hard norvener 'cos I was born and bred in the north / scotland.

Put it this way .......... IF you dive in a semi dry and are cold, you can always:
1. Call me mental
2. DEMAND AN APOLOGY from me

BUT, Matt has it right in that the killer is not the first dive, it's the surface interval (specially on Rhibs) and the second dive.  You HAVE to keep warm, out of the wind etc.  I keep a naff old waterproof jacket and some overtrousers in my dive kit, and of course the obligatory woolly hat.

AND to conflict with my own advice, I am considering getting a drysuit this year.  It's not for the diving itself, but as I intend to go down a longer range type diving route, I recognise that the coldest part of the dive is the deco / safety stops, that's when being dry would really make a difference.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Drysuits are more diving friendly for all year round diving.

Virtually everyone gives in eventually and buys a drysuit if they are serious about UK diving.

It is possible to dive in a semidry in the UK, especially in the warmer season and still have a damn good time.

The simple fact of the matter is,  if you can afford it and like UK diving buy a drysuit.  

If you can't afford it then a good semi-dry will suffice especially in the warmer months.  You may prefer to have shorter dives and you probably will need to wrap up in between dives to avoid having to call out the brass monkey welders.

Peoples tolerence to cold is completely different from one person to the next.  However I feel confident in saying that people get extremely intolerent to cold the moment they buy a drysuit  

Daz

·
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ratbag @ Mar. 19 2004,10:16)]Hmmmm...this has ne thinking a bit 'cos I was going to do Anglesey at the YD gig in a wetsuit....

Does that mean you will all laugh at my naivete or gasp in amazement at my intrepidness???
No, No,

I think this is a splendid idea, if you remember, will you bring me some tartan paint and I'll give you the cash on the day?

James  

·
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aclivity @ Mar. 19 2004,10:24)]I've been looking forward to this opportunity:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Mar. 19 2004,00:56)]Never trust anyone who tells you to dive in the UK in a semi-dry. They are obviously mental.
I think I've just been called mental .................

I DEMAND AN APOLOGY!
Apology granted.

Yes, I was infering semi-dry wearers are mental but appreciate that a few may just me "dead ard".

James  

1 - 20 of 35 Posts